You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One player you wished they had bought...

ToxtethTerror

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ibetitsme7

Keane looks easy with hindsight but at the time he was just a promising kid and I was more than happy we got Clough, who looked the real Liverpool player out of the two, a real first 5 yards in his head player with 360 degree vision and laser-guided passing

for whatever reason, it never worked out for us

I remember being gutted about Michael Laudrup not coming to us but as others have said, he'd have only made a brilliant team even more brilliant

we could probably have done with his brother Brian more, based on timing rather than talent

Keane looked a player with huge potential as far as I was concerned. Souness buying the one available player who could be groomed to do what HE used to do in the middle of the pitch. It was such a pity it didn't happen IMO.

(I also regret us not buying Jari much earlier - I really loved watching him play.)

I also regret us not buying Jari much earlier - I really loved watching him play.

I agree. I think we should also have gotten Gary Mac an awful lot earlier.

Was looking for the footage of Jari in Andy Townsend's Tactics Truck (AT: "So Jari, talk us through this goal." JL: "I picked up the ball and shot. Goal."), but found this...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYzNaifbVM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNYzNaifbVM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Litmanen was made for Liverpool. Gerrard does great in that position now but wouldn't it be nice to have a Kenny / Beardo type player pulling the strings orchestrating play?

A point made earlier that certain teams suit certain players ring true. I doubt lady boy Ronaldo would have been the same player here. I can't imagine him tracking back or working hard for Rafa or Ged. I also doubt Alves would be the same here as his game is all about overlap and running from deep, not the winger we wanted to make him into.

I remember watching Keane play centre back for Nottingham Forest and in centre midfield and he was fucking supreme. He was the first player I looked at and thought that he would be the bollocks for us.

£3.3 Million or something like that? I heard a story that we had bought someone like Paul Stewart and didn't have the funds to complete the deal. £2.2 million we spent on that.

Dalglish - Gascoigne. Easy to forget how supremely talented he was.

Souness -Keane (but chances are Souness wouldn't have gotten out of him what Ferguson did)

Evans - Sheringham. Was told he was too old in 1996!

Houllier - Ronaldo

Benitez - Alves

Would Houllier have let Ronaldo develop into an attacking "Ginola'esque" type player though?

Would Houllier have let Ronaldo develop into an attacking "Ginola'esque" type player though?

Probably not. It's a back handed compliment to Slur Alex that so many of his signings have ended up on this list.

There's no guarantee they'd have flourished with us, given the inability of Souness to manage, Evans' lassitude in applying discipline, and Houllier (and to a lesser extent Rafa's) over emphasis on defence.

I reckon Souness could have signed Zidane and turned him into the French Darren Ambrose.

Not got the time - but someone should start a thread in the same vein, manager by manager - with the best relatively unknown signings - who is each Liverpool manager's best success? There surely have been some.

(ie no fowler or owen as they came through the club).

was gutted at being told we almost signed frank worthington in the 70's, but during his medical he had high blood pressure, the club then told him to have a fortnight rest in the then not so popular island of ibiza, where he spent two weeks shacked up with a couple of swedish air stewardesses, he came back and his blood pressure was through the roof

i also remember at the time of trying to buy stam, 98, we tried to buy almost every central defender in the world, desailly, blanc, de boer, holokov, west, we even offered psg 5 million for christian worns when he had joined them on a bosman just two weeks before, we where desperate, going for song half way through the season, before finally getting sami the following summer

Well I'm not sure either if this is about players who nearly signed, or just a retro wish-list.

Dalglish - Laudrup

Souness - Keane

Evans - Stoichkov

Houllier - Litmanen (how close does it have to be?)

Benitez - Evra

But to be fair, and to put a positive spin on things, my list of players I wished we would buy (and it's swear-on-the-bible honestly, without the benefit of hindsight), and did buy: (whether they worked out or not)

Dalglish - Barnes

Souness - Saunders

Evans - Collymore

Houllier - none (though he nearly did with Litmanen)

Benitez - Torres

Carrying on the theme of past managers and players - does everyone want to have a go at naming ONE player that each of our past managers SHOULD have bought but didn't for whatever reason? (since we last won the title)

I will start with my five:

Dalglish: Gary Pallister (we turned him down after he agreed to a move!)

Souness: Roy Keane (We tried for him, dunno what happened)

Evans: Marcel Desailly (board didn't want to pay his wages)

Houllier: Cristiano Ronaldo (didn't want to pay £1m a season in wages)

Benitez: Danni Alves (Didn't want to go above £12m)

I think all of these managers might have had a chance of the title with just one of those :(

Hindsight eh? Looking at that lot though, I think most fans wanted those players at the time too!

Im not sure any of those would have made a huge difference, bar Keane. We got the wrong Forest mid, if we could turn back the clock and take Keane instead of Clough, who knows where Fergie would be now.