You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Rafa have complete control over transfers?

Royal Family

This seems to be the sticking point on the contract negotiations - certainly NOT personal terms, or even length of contract as some mischieviously suggested on here.

Rafa wants complete control. Tom and george are saying 'no'. I can see both sides of the argument here - on the one hand Parry has proven himself an incompetent buffoon so many times, and there is now the sense he is working deliberately against the manager and pursuing his own targets, as with Robbie keane.

On the other hand NO manager should have complete control - we made that mistake under Houllier, when he started buying players such as Salif Diao on the say-so of Michel Platini.

The obvious soultion is to sack Parry and bring in someone Rafa can work with. But as a matter of principle and in the club's interests, I don't think he should be given untrammelled and unrestricted control over transfer policy, and as much as it pains me to say so, I'm with the Yanks..

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i can gather Parry sets the valuation on a player and Rafa can not go above this.

Sounds great but when people say why did we sign Pennant and Kuyt instead of paying the £17-18 million to get Alves it sounds more and more to me because Parry had set the valuation of a player and we will not go above.

Its pretty well known on here that Rafa wanted Walcott and we were offered him for £350,000 but Chief Scout Parry decided he was only worth £300,000 and refused to go higher.

I agree with Hamstrung; it completely depends on what complete control is.

If it is a case of "here is the budget, buy who you want with this and any sales you make you can put in to that transfer fund too". Then yes, he is the manager and you have to trust him.

Do we even know that these reports are accurate anyway?

A manager should be told his next year's budget at the end of the season, with the caveat that some of it would be dependent on CL qualification and therefore not availale until January.

That should apply at any club, as it gives the manager the best possible chance of producing a winning team.

If you don't trust the manager to make the right decisions in the transfer market, then ship him out and get one you can believe in.

From what i can gather Parry sets the valuation on a player and Rafa can not go above this.

This is the Gareth Barry (none)transfer though. Parry valuing him low, like with Dean Ashton years ago, when Parry rejecting him for £2m, telling Crewe that we'd rather wait until he had more experience and was worth around £6m :eek:

I agree that Rafa can't have carte blanche and bring in the likes of Diao etc, but I think Rafa has proved over the years that he gets a few right, and at the end of the day, the buck stops with him if he doesn't get the right players.

I'm more uncomfortable with Parry decided who is worth what, maybe that is what Rafa doesn't want anymore, and if so then I support Rafa 110% on that

No, someone needs to do some research to ascertain if the player is worth it. Who the hell authorised the £7M purchase of Dossena? We need somebody at the club to make sure we're not getting ripped off. Rafa can't make that judgement.

In what way is Parry (or even someone other than him in an equivalent role) more qualified to do so?

I agree to an extent if its obviously ridiculous, but I am not sure Dossena is the best example. On the face of it, £7M for an Italian international left back, seemingly highly rated by people who should know, isn't.

if he wants full control he'll need to stump up the cash and buy the club, someone always has to set a limit (as stringvest suggests above) and there needs to be someone who can reign Rafa in if he ends up going a bit Houlier...

I think this is more about Parry than 100% control

No, someone needs to do some research to ascertain if the player is worth it. Who the hell authorised the £7M purchase of Dossena? We need somebody at the club to make sure we're not getting ripped off. Rafa can't make that judgement.

well we should get rid of him then and get someone we can trust :eek:

For me Rafa should be given a budget and told to stick to it but he has full control of whom he signs and lives by his choices.

For example Rafa is given a £20 million budget and wants to sign a right sided player and a striker then if he is willing to spend £17 million on Alves then he should be let known he only then has £3 million to spend on a striker unless he sells.

Instead in my opinion Parry is setting the value of the players and instead of Rafa saying he is willing to spend £17 million on Alves as a priority then make further sales to be able to then afford a striker Parry is saying you are only allowed to spend £13 million on Alves.

Personally that is the control Rafa is seeking.

For me Rafa should be given a budget and told to stick to it but he has full control of whom he signs and lives by his choices.

For example Rafa is given a £20 million budget and wants to sign a right sided player and a striker then if he is willing to spend £17 million on Alves then he should be let known he only then has £3 million to spend on a striker unless he sells.

Instead in my opinion Parry is setting the value of the players and instead of Rafa saying he is willing to spend £17 million on Alves as a priority then make further sales to be able to then afford a striker Parry is saying you are only allowed to spend £13 million on Alves.

Personally that is the control Rafa is seeking.

However we need to buy quality not quantity

I would give him complete control. What do G&H, Parry or Ayres know about footballers? How can they put a maximum fee on a player they know basically nothing about. Only Rafa and the scouts would be able to judge that and only Rafa and the coaches will know what qualities they need in a player and how those qualities will benefit the team. Rafa is the best qualified to deal with transfers.

It should never just be 1 man with a budget as that is too open to mistakes &/or abuse.

There must be an appreciation of possible resale value which there clearly wasn't with 28-yr old Robbie Keane.

So the system of having a 3rd party say you can't go above £x on a certain player is correct

(Similarly if £y is bid on a certain player then we sell as everyone has their price)

However that 3rd party must have a working relationship with the manager.

Parry's role is not the problem; as ever it is his execution.

However we need to buy quality not quantity

The thing is though Nick that is what im saying potentially Parry is allowing Rafa to do.

Instead of signing Alves for a higher price then Parry was prepared to allow we ended up going for the quantity option which was Kuyt and Pennant.

The thing is though Nick that is what im saying potentially Parry is allowing Rafa to do.

Instead of signing Alves for a higher price then Parry was prepared to allow we ended up going for the quantity option which was Kuyt and Pennant.

Im happy for him to have almost complete control as long as the transfer statute states quallity over Quantity and a maxium of 3 quality signings per season but Rafa having total control over those 3 players. Obviously players for the future would be in addition to that

Im happy for him to have almost complete control as long as the transfer statute states quallity over Quantity and a maxium of 3 quality signings per season but Rafa having total control over those 3 players. Obviously players for the future would be in addition to that

With What?

This seems to be the sticking point on the contract negotiations - certainly NOT personal terms, or even length of contract as some mischieviously suggested on here.

Rafa wants complete control. Tom and george are saying 'no'. I can see both sides of the argument here - on the one hand Parry has proven himself an incompetent buffoon so many times, and there is now the sense he is working deliberately against the manager and pursuing his own targets, as with Robbie keane.

On the other hand NO manager should have complete control - we made that mistake under Houllier, when he started buying players such as Salif Diao on the say-so of Michel Platini.

The obvious soultion is to sack Parry and bring in someone Rafa can work with. But as a matter of principle and in the club's interests, I don't think he should be given untrammelled and unrestricted control over transfer policy, and as much as it pains me to say so, I'm with the Yanks..

Personal terms and length of contract WERE an issue initially, until the yanks agreed to what Rafa wanted. There was some issue over the exchange rate and the value of the Euro or something as well, Rafa wasn't happy about it but it got sorted in the end.

I'm 100% sure about that.

And Robbie Keane wasn't Parry's target, he was Rafa's. He just wanted to wrap the Barry deal up first, and then buy Keane when he'd sold Alonso.

This is the Gareth Barry (none)transfer though. Parry valuing him low, like with Dean Ashton years ago, when Parry rejecting him for £2m, telling Crewe that we'd rather wait until he had more experience and was worth around £6m :eek:

I agree that Rafa can't have carte blanche and bring in the likes of Diao etc, but I think Rafa has proved over the years that he gets a few right, and at the end of the day, the buck stops with him if he doesn't get the right players.

I'm more uncomfortable with Parry decided who is worth what, maybe that is what Rafa doesn't want anymore, and if so then I support Rafa 110% on that

If anything the Barry (none)transfer and the keeping of Alonso proved that total control could also be dangerous..... The thought of Alonso not playing for us this season is to scary to contemplate....