You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Police are cunts

Malarkey

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The Guardian did a timeline piece in which they said he'd purchased equipment to use online, so I don't think he was using his official kit, save for his warrant card.

He strangled her with his police belt, I think he used his issued handcuffs and there was speculation that he was wearing his sleeveless stab jacket when he took her, although you can't really tell from the CCTV whether that's so. I think the stuff he bought online were restraints and some sort of plastic cover for the car.

A few years ago now Mrs RiB was out late in the car coming home from a do. She was flagged down by what appeared to be a copper and asked to "step out of the car". She declined, and as he stepped back she drove off. She told me when she got home what had gone on, we thought well if its a proper copper we will get a summons or something and we will have a go round about it. As it was we got nothing, and in hindsight should have reported it.

She would have battered him anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

He strangled her with his police belt, I think he used his issued handcuffs and there was speculation that he was wearing his sleeveless stab jacket when he took her, although you can't really tell from the CCTV whether that's so. I think the stuff he bought online were restraints and some sort of plastic cover for the car.

Its the obvious pre planning over days that gets me, surely at some point there's a bit of your brain that say "now hang on, were going to go for prison for life and be kept in solitary if we carry on, it's really not worth whatever sick fun we might have". 

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Its the obvious pre planning over days that gets me, surely at some point there's a bit of your brain that say "now hang on, were going to go for prison for life and be kept in solitary if we carry on, it's really not worth whatever sick fun we might have". 

We live in hope that you get that moment of clarity 

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

He probably thought he could get away with it, he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the box- he bought the stuff online and hired the car in his own name and I think his mobile was on so he could be traced. He probably thought he was really clever picking the spot he did as it wasn't covered by CCTV, but when it separates two areas that are covered and someone walks out of one area and never arrives at the other, then it was pretty obvious where the police needed to concentrate.

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That is fucking astounding. He should resign immediately. 

That’s nothing, they recommended flagging a  passing bus down earlier if you felt distressed.

A complete clusterfuck of messaging which does nothing to dispel the idea that they’re out of date and touch dinosaurs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

That’s nothing, they recommended flagging a  passing bus down earlier if you felt distressed.

A complete clusterfuck of messaging which does nothing to dispel the idea that they’re out of date and touch dinosaurs.

The more I think about that, the worse it gets: the actual Policing Minister recommended women to run away from the Police for their safety.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This could be a "me too" thing. How many women have suffered harassment by the Police and have said nothing, because they thought their experience was an isolated case and there's nobody they had the confidence to report it to?

Not the same but related.

There was a huge spike in female crime in the 70’s for reasons that baffled the Met, went on for ages and really stumped them.

Turns out that they’d just started to deploy female officers on the front line and they were identifying crimes that male officers had always ignored.

• Upvote 2

That PCC's comment is similar to Rees-Mogg's vile comment about the Grenfell victims. 

You'd have been alright if only you'd have been a bit more clever and savvy. You idiots. 

And we all witnessed what happened to Rees-Mogg. Fuck all. That PCC should already be out on his arse. But, accountability is soooooo last decade. It'd surprise absolutely no one if fuck all happened to him. 

Marina Hyde-

All women know they are prey – and that no one with any authority seems to care
Marina Hyde
Despite the horrifying levels of violence against women, there is no strategy to end it. Just promises to ‘learn lessons’

Cressida Dick must be the last woman in the country who thinks there may be “lessons” to be learned from Wayne Couzens’s rape and murder of Sarah Everard. At least 80 women in the UK have been killed by men since Everard. Only 1.6% of rapes in England and Wales reported to police even result in a charge. Fifty-two per cent of police found guilty of sexual misconduct kept their jobs. Women already know all the lessons. Women live with the all-pervasive understanding that they are prey.

The women who love you have to communicate the fear to you when you’re still a girl, knowing that one day you too will have to communicate it to the girls you love. They pass you down their strategies – their defences – like your birthright. And when you’re big enough to be out in the world on your own, those same women spend their time hoping till it hurts that this fear, which they had to gift you out of love, will somehow save you. “In the evenings,” said Sarah Everard’s mother in her unforgettable victim impact statement, “at the time she was abducted, I let out a silent scream: ‘Don’t get in the car, Sarah. Don’t believe him. Run!’”

Where do you even start? When will it ever stop? On the very same morning that Couzens was being sentenced in one Old Bailey courtroom, another Old Bailey courtroom was being used to charge the man accused of the murder of the primary school teacher Sabina Nessa, brutally killed two weeks ago on her way to meet a friend near her home in south-east London. The prosecution alleged it was a predatory and premeditated attack on a lone woman not known to him.

To all those who could be found pointing out that “we” have to remember these are extreme cases: thanks for dialling in. They are extreme, yes – but they are part of a continuum of male harassment and the fear of it that women experience every day of their lives. Women are constantly, constantly performing risk assessment. Dare I pass down this street at this time? Is this the routine sleazy comment that turns into something worse? Is he going to keep walking or will he turn around? To make a troubled peace with it, we have to euphemise this lifestyle as “being sensible” or “taking care”, but it’s really just a statistically justified fear as part of daily life. Every woman has experienced various things along that continuum.

But wait! Because excitingly, it turns out there are now even more things for ladies to add to their list of Shit I’m Advised to Do to Stay Safe Because It Saves Anyone Else Having to Do Anything. Today, the Met advised people approached by a lone plainclothes officer to ask very searching questions, such as “Where have you come from?” and “Exactly why are you stopping or talking to me?” Probably best not to try these while being black. If they fear for their safety, women are advised to run into a house or “wave down a bus”.

To which, I am afraid, the only acceptable reaction is: NO. No to this bollocks, no to thoughts-and-prayers, and no to accepting this standard of policing – though that’s clearly what everyone from the prime minister to the leader of the opposition to the mayor of London does, if they’re happy for Cressida Dick to have just been given another two years on her contract after this many huge mistakes. Who looks at that record and thinks: you know what, I think we need the same old broom?

But of course, we have a cross-party political culture where the women and equalities brief is still bundled with some other job as a kind of weird afterthought/poisoned chalice. In government, Liz Truss is foreign secretary – AND women and equalities minister. For Labour, Anneliese Dodds is both chair of a party trying to reverse its calamitous electoral fortunes AND shadow women and equalities minister. What are these bizarre ministerial biathlons other than confirmation that the women and equalities position is something you tack on to a real job just so you can say that some overworked woman is “dealing with all that stuff”.

The message from women this week is loud and clear: no more learning. Our consciousness about male violence and how far it reaches is well and truly raised, and so is that of a vast number of men. That thing about having to devote 10,000 hours to something to be an expert in it? You really don’t have to be very old as a woman to have already spent way more than 10,000 hours thinking about your safety and, by extension, the safety of women in general.

So if anyone – ANYONE – in a position of authority would like to offer something more concrete than the equivalent of thoughts and prayers for how to tackle an epidemic of male violence and harassment, then let women reassure you: you don’t need to roll the pitch any more. Take it from us.

Alas, authority figures have not had a great week on this stuff. Or, indeed, a great few decades. When the Yorkshire Ripper’s killing pattern changed, a senior investigating officer made that infamous statement: “He has made it clear that he hates prostitutes. Many people do. We, as a police force, will continue to arrest prostitutes.” (And to use them.) “But,” he went on, “the Ripper is now killing innocent girls.” That comment rightly became notorious. And yet, I was sorry to see that even the judge who yesterday handed down a whole-life tariff to Wayne Couzens spoke of Sarah Everard being “a wholly blameless victim”, a way of putting it that implies that there are victims of rape and murder who have to shoulder some of the blame. Would police have made an arrest so quickly had Couzens’s victim been one of the sex workers he is alleged to have been in the habit of using?

If only the unfortunate echoes ended there. Peter Sutcliffe was nicknamed the Ripper as “a joke” by some of his colleagues at a trucking firm; Wayne Couzens was nicknamed “the rapist” by some of his earlier colleagues in the police service, also “as a joke”. I mean … I want to think there’s been some progress, but that particular detail suggests otherwise.

Certainly, there remains no major or even minor strategy to deal with this culture. We see Priti Patel down at Dover in a HOME SECRETARY coat, announcing action on asylum seekers arriving by boat. We hear Boris Johnson talking about a knife-crime strategy or a chain-gang strategy or an antisocial behaviour strategy. Could they please put their puffer jackets on to announce and follow through on a serious male violence strategy? Can we have a joined-up plan to tackle male violence that starts in primary education and takes an ambitiously holistic approach to a problem that riddles our society with poisons, from child abuse to terrorism?

If not, maybe all the people who fall back on the “one bad apple” defence can have the balls to stop omitting the second half of the saying. One bad apple spoils the barrel. And as any number of women can attest, this barrel is long past putrid.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This could be a "me too" thing. How many women have suffered harassment by the Police and have said nothing, because they thought their experience was an isolated case and there's nobody they had the confidence to report it to?

Yep I doubt very much this is an isolated incident. 

Wouldmt be surprised to see the floodgates open

13 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Excellent that. 

Wasnt there a load of critism at that recent bill they passed where there was hardly any attention given to attacks on women?

No, the bill had some platitudes towards women, but a whole load of nefarious shite about larger power that could be exploited.

It’s why labour voted against it, it was a power grab with a few concessions thrown in, as is the way of these mendacious cunts.