You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How the lesser known lads faired during pre-season.

Fugitive

Cavalieri - 8 Looks assured and very able which takes some of the worry away should Pepe pick up an injury

Plessis - 7 Looks very comfortable on the ball and at home playing with our more established lads. Could have a bit future.

Pacheco - 8.5 I've been harping on about this lad since we signed him after seeing him play for the youth team. This lad IS going to be a star.

Spearing - 7.5 Impressed me a lot and looks more than capable of holding his own against decent players. If he keeps this up he could have decent future at the club.

N'Gog - 8 A surprise signing but looks an absolute bargain. A bit of pace, loads of skill and a good eye for goal. More of the same please.

Nemeth - 7 Maybe expected too much from him but thought he did pretty well and was unlucky not grab a goal. Clever player and I'm convinced he will become an important player.

Darby - 8.5 Personally, I think this lad may be the first one out of our reserves to break into the first team. Looks very confident and his defensive ability look very good. High hopes for this one.

Insua - 7 Happy enough with his performances and think with a bit more guidance he will eventually become our first choice LB. Once again, I think I was expecting too much from the lad.

Would like to see Spearing start ahead of Plessis against the Belgiums next week.

Can not agree with that at all, Plessis has been the best of the above mentioned players in my opinion and the way he keeps the ball in the team is a real asset considering the fact we have enough players who gives it away cheaply.

Spearing has more to his game than Plessis, as shown by that pass tonight. However, if we're playing it safe in an away tie I'd expect Plessis to play in a holding role. Would love to see Jay get a chance.

And I think Nemeth has been quite poor in pre-season. He's a cracking player, but he looks like he's been trying to hard and hasn't looked as relaxed as the other lads. A goal would have probably settled him down.

N'Gog looks a find, I like him.

Nemeth was trying way too hard. Understandable of course, playing CM but that ridiculous effort tonight summed up how rushed he was and how much he wanted to make an impact. He needs to just keep doing what he was doing in the reserves and his chance will come. Maybe the arrival of N'Gog has upset him as it's pushed him further down the pecking order. Hope he gets back on track in the ressies.

I think those marks would be way to high

i wouldnt have any of them above a 7 and that would be the keeper

The rest i would have at 6-7 they are young have lots of potential but are still a year away at the very least

i would like to see them play in a settled Liverpool team to allow there confidence to grow a bit and maybe next year they might be ready to take a place

they are coming along very well though and it looks like another batch behind them all looks well for the future

I think those marks would be way to high

i wouldnt have any of them above a 7 and that would be the keeper

The rest i would have at 6-7 they are young have lots of potential but are still a year away at the very least

i would like to see them play in a settled Liverpool team to allow there confidence to grow a bit and maybe next year they might be ready to take a place

they are coming along very well though and it looks like another batch behind them all looks well for the future

I was marking them as emerging talents and why I never rated our established lads. If I'd marked the entire squad equally I would not have given them marks as high as I have.

I was marking them as emerging talents and why I never rated our established lads. If I'd marked the entire squad equally I would not have given them marks as high as I have.

So was i i havn't seen any of the young lads who i would place in the team ahead of any of the first team

The Keeper looks light years better than the other 2 or three that have filled that role

Plasiss 6.5 has shown that he is good enough to fit into the first team but he needs games to improve and may get that on loan if we keep Alonso ?

Spearing 6 Lacks Size and that will mean he will have to be some player to make it at Anfield i hope i am proved wrong as i think he is a great little player who needs games so another for a loan to a Championship team

Pacheco 6 is a year or so away from being a very good player again needs games but the reserves will be the best place for him this season

N Gog 7 looks like a good squad player who can come off the bench to turn a game late on or if we are a couple up and Rafa wants to rest Torres

Darby 6.5 should get some chances this season i have always liked this lad and although he has never looked a superstar he keeps developing and goes about the job in the right way

Insua 6 will make it away from Anfield i cant see him making it with us

Nemeth 6.5 needs Vorinin to move on in order to progress this season as a 4th or 5th striker he might get a few first team games but if Vorinin stays then he will be in the reserves again

I think the important part is we've had 6 or 7 under 20's figure in pre-season and really none of them have looked out of place. Its certainly looking like 3 or 4 of them could be part of the first team squad maybe in 2009, 1 or 2 might be ready now but only as fringe players.

Certainly the most promising set of young players we've had at the club since ive been supporting. Yes we've had the odd Owen or Gerrard but at the moment there seems to be a group of very promising young players thats being added to all the time.

None of them have let themselves down. We have known that we have a lot of talent coming through and wether or not they make it at Anfield, a good few have a good career in football ahead of them.

Also a mention about Hamill and Anderson a big season for those two coming up.

The fact that we have this thread and no-one really has put that the kids looked shite is a good sign as it shows Ablett and co must be doing something right.

Before the start of the season i would have probably picked out Nemeth as going to be the star of the pre-season and probably wouldnt have expected much from Pacheco yet as he is only a kid.

Nemeth i think is showing signs of been nervous and trying to hard instead of relaxing and playing his natural game. This of course will come with experience and im pretty sure this lad has agreat future with us.

I will openly admit im biased regards Spearing because he is a local lad but i also think he is a cracking little player who will always give you 100% and has a very good passing range on him.

Should piss the Reserve league again and it would be nice to see some of the lads feature in the Carling Cup.

I think all these lads could come into the first team and do a very good job if required this season. I think Cavalieri and N'Gog are the most ready to step in, but that's hardly surprising. I doubt the other lads will let us down if called upon.

Oh, and I agree that Nemeth is trying to hard. He hasn't done himself justice really. He just needs to relax a bit.

Nemeth hasn't had much time in pre-season because he was away at the under 19's

according to code's stats he's played 90 minutes which is the same as Babel and Aurellio, how have they done? i can't even remember!

I think the Rangers game he was good, won a penalty and had an assist

I've been quite impressed by N'Gog, even though it's only early days obviously. He has a good turn of pace and has a few tricks by the looks of things. I think I saw an interview with Rafa where he said that the lad needs to beef up a bit, make himself bigger to be able to cope with the defenders in the Prem who will try and kick shite out of him.

I'm also impressed with Jay Spearing. He looks like he'd spill blood for the cause. He took a nasty knock in the face against Rangers yet after a few seconds anfd a little bit of magic sponge treatment he simply got up, unfazed and got stuck straight back in. He can pass the ball and is an intelligent young lad on the pitch. Seems to know where everybody is and that awareness is great to see in someone so young.

As for the others, I quite like the look of Darby, and Plessis has looked a very, very good player. So there are plenty of reasons to be confident for the future.

I think they've all done relatively well - really like the look of pacheco and always rated spearing highly. Ive been saying this for a while but since Rafa came in all our youngsters seem alot more comfortable on the ball then the last generation i.e. potter, raven, welsh, ostemobor (who i actually really liked) etc..

We have some really promising lads coming through who are now able to come in when required and not look totally out of their depth.

The fact that we have this thread and no-one really has put that the kids looked shite is a good sign as it shows Ablett and co must be doing something right.

Before the start of the season i would have probably picked out Nemeth as going to be the star of the pre-season and probably wouldnt have expected much from Pacheco yet as he is only a kid.

Nemeth i think is showing signs of been nervous and trying to hard instead of relaxing and playing his natural game. This of course will come with experience and im pretty sure this lad has agreat future with us.

I will openly admit im biased regards Spearing because he is a local lad but i also think he is a cracking little player who will always give you 100% and has a very good passing range on him.

Should piss the Reserve league again and it would be nice to see some of the lads feature in the Carling Cup.

I think the u-19 championship came on a bad time for Nemeth. He lost out on the training camp, and when he returned the established players had all returned, meaning he got much less time to impress compared to the other young guns. Therefor I think he tried a little to hard. Still, he showed good signs against ( a very poor ) Rangers team, where he won a pen, and had Yossi score on a rebound from a good finish by him. Also I think he has showed good physical strength which is a must to succeed in England.

Nemeth is the best of them all, I think the way things have panned out though Darby is probably the closest to the first team. He's had the best pre-season out of them all and with Degen injured and Finnan possibly on the way out he could find himself as 2nd choice RB at the start of the season, the others are much further down the pecking order.