You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Muslims Kicking Off Again

Section_31

I think Rashid has been quality on this thread.

I agree with your last point there, which was one of the first points I made on this whole thing - that 'community leaders' -despite having the best of intentions - often do more harm than good in their dealings with the media. And the man in the street suffers for it.

To be fair to Rashid, I honestly don't know why he gets such a hard time from some people. He's always taken my pisstake in the spirit it was intended with very good humour.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the Muslim community have some king of advisory council who could give a view to businesses/police/local authorities on whether something is really likely to be offensive to a significant number of Muslims?

I get the impression that often it's just a few nutters who kick up much of the fuss about stuff like this, they get an over-reaction from whoever they're criticising, the media report it and then the counter-reaction begins.

For example, are there really many Muslims who think that Christmas should be called Winterval to avoid offending them? I doubt it very much - so why have some local authorities been suckered into this sort of madness which is offensive to millions of non-Muslims?

Does the Muslim community have some king of advisory council who could give a view to businesses/police/local authorities on whether something is really likely to be offensive to a significant number of Muslims?

I get the impression that often it's just a few nutters who kick up much of the fuss about stuff like this, they get an over-reaction from whoever they're criticising, the media report it and then the counter-reaction begins.

For example, are there really many Muslims who think that Christmas should be called Winterval to avoid offending them? I doubt it very much - so why have some local authorities been suckered into this sort of madness which is offensive to millions of non-Muslims?

No, I don't find calling Christmas, Christmas an issue. I'm fairly sure the majority don't really care to be honest. I don't celebrate Christmas. I see it as a Christian event, so they can celebrate if they like. Most of this Winterval shit is caused by the uptight PC brigade. I'm confident, many Muslims won't care, whether its called Christmas or not. I know some mUslims may celebrate it, but most don't. It doesn't bother us at all. In the media you get this impression that we do. Thats bollox.

No, I don't find calling Christmas, Christmas an issue. I'm fairly sure the majority don't really care to be honest. I don't celebrate Christmas. I see it as a Christian event, so they can celebrate if they like. Most of this Winterval shit is caused by the uptight PC brigade. I'm confident, many Muslims won't care, whether its called Christmas or not. I know some mUslims may celebrate it, but most don't. It doesn't bother us at all. In the media you get this impression that we do. Thats bollox.

That's my point really. It seems to me that a few noisy extremists are allowed to misrepresent the Muslim majority and weak-willed authorities pander to them because they're afraid to offend anyone. They end up offending everyone else and the bitterness builds up.

I think the problem is often exacerbated by well-meaning but ultimately fucking over-sensitive public sector advisor types too.

"Ooohhh Tarquin, what do you think? I've brainstormed this and reckon this paperclip might offend the muslims"

"I think you're right, Moonstar, we should ban the paperclip"

"Actually, we're not that bothe...."

PAPERCLIP BANNED AFTER MUSLIM OUTCRY. COUNCIL FORCED TO APOLOGIZE

fucking muslim pushing their faith onto us again. It'll not be long before all our women are forced to grow feint moustaches too.

aws - we have the Muslim Council of Britain who are a bunch of jobsworths who say less than the LFC press secretary. There is not a lot of unity in Islam due to the different sects and the often different views of what we can and can't do.

I think many Muslims who are from foreign countries still lack a basic understanding due to a lack of a decent education and ability to intergrate - hopefully that is now changing with more and more British born children going to University.

It's all about education and social respect - something lacking in every culture these days.

aws - we have the Muslim Council of Britain who are a bunch of jobsworths who say less than the LFC press secretary. There is not a lot of unity in Islam due to the different sects and the often different views of what we can and can't do.

I think many Muslims who are from foreign countries still lack a basic understanding due to a lack of a decent education and ability to intergrate - hopefully that is now changing with more and more British born children going to University.

It's all about education and social respect - something lacking in every culture these days.

It's good to hear that Rash. As Section has said, you've ruled in this thread.

I can't understand why there is the need for a Muslim Council or Parliament. At the end of the day we all have to live together, and things like this divide and cause mistrust. Especially when they seem unable to criticise the more radical elements of the people they purport to represent. I group the fundamentalists the same as the BNP - backward looking with no interest in living together in a society based upon mutual respect and trust.

I now hear that one of the Law Lords want elements of Sharia Law brought into British Law. Now hang on a minute, if I lived in a Muslim country I'd live by Sharia Law no problem. Equally I expect people who come here to live as British citizens under our law, why did they come here in the first place if they didn't want to integrate?

Rash, like the vast majority of Muslims has integrated well into British Society. The trouble is the fundmentalists play into the hands of the right-wing press. However the liberals dismiss anything like the above and start calling people racists and fools which is equally as damaging.

We need a full a frank debate, not two sides with opposing, debilitating agenda's. I suspect the truth lies somewhere between the two poles.

I'm pretty sure most Muslim's don't give a toss whether a dog is used for a campaign. However the right-wing nutjobs love stuff like this, it validates (in their tiny minds at least) their racism/xenophobia. Whilst the liberals think they speak for your average Muslim when they come out with ridiculous ideas like banning the use of Christian terms (Winterval? WTF).

Society has to be based onto integration, not division.

I don't think this is a story that's claiming that Muslims are trying to impose their beliefs on the rest of society (although, of course, thousands of them do). I think this is merely a story that's alerting us all to the fact that Islam is batshit insane.

And right-wing press or no, I appreciate the fact that they have the guts to print these stories, because to their eternal shame, the so-called liberal media does not. Without papers like the Mail and Telegraph, we'd never find out about the Muslim doctors who put patients at risk by refusing to wash their hands because the handwash contains alcohol, or the Muslim supermarket assistants who refuse to sell alcohol to customers, or the Muslim pharmacists who refuse to dole out emergency contraception to customers.

No, that's just racist scaremongering. We've always been able to rely on the press to tell us 'The Truth' haven't we? The general post 9/11 portayal of Muslims is a disgrace in my book.

Whilst the liberals think they speak for your average Muslim when they come out with ridiculous ideas like banning the use of Christian terms (Winterval? WTF).

Society has to be based onto integration, not division.

Winterval is the single most disgraceful thing I have ever heard. Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah and Saviour why then would we oppose Christmas? We don't celebrate it but we certainly shouldn't rubbish it.

In Islam it is against our religion not to allow others to practise their faith in peace, live and let live etc. By all means intriduce Islam to people, but don't slaughter them for following something else.

We do need debate, and the debate should start and end with "live and let live".

Winterval is the single most disgraceful thing I have ever heard. Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah and Saviour why then would we oppose Christmas? We don't celebrate it but we certainly shouldn't rubbish it.

In Islam it is against our religion not to allow others to practise their faith in peace, live and let live etc. By all means intriduce Islam to people, but don't slaughter them for following something else.

We do need debate, and the debate should start and end with "live and let live".

Rash, I Lived in Brum at the time of Winterval (1998 ish) as a student and later was employed at Birmingham City Council.. The story ran and ran and blew into something it never was.

It was supposed to be an inclusive festival, not a PC statement upon the behalf of the council. It started around Dawali and took in all winter events of most faiths. Its become a bit of an urban legend thanks to little islander attitudes and Daily Mail type scaremongering that has been blown out of all proportion. I think the Council would tell you that its a wholly regrettable episode now though.

Archbishop of Canterbury converts to Islam - Newsbiscuit

Dr Rowan Williams has failed to quell the row over his recent comments with the announcement that he has been fully accepted into the Muslim faith. He claims to see no inconsistency with his new religion and his continuing role as the leader of the Anglican faith.

‘Both religions are saying basically the same thing…’ said Rahman Muhammed bin-Williams as he now wishes to be known, ‘…and I hope to bring together two aspects of these two major world faiths. So we will still have the Church of England Christingle Jumble Sale. But instead of getting a jar of home made jam in the raffle, the winner gets to drive a car bomb into the American Embassy.’

Dr Williams has said that it is important for England’s established church to reflect the cultural and religious diversity within today’s Britain. This point was reiterated by the Rastafarian Bishop of Durham, who was later arrested when police became suspicious about the contents of his incense burner. This follows his controversial presentation of Sunday’s Songs of Praise with such classic hymns as ‘All things Bright and Beautiful’ and ‘I and I in a Babylon situation’

Dr Williams dismissed the latest controversy as he headed off to buy a glittery tissue box holder for the back of his car. ‘Let us not forget that as Archbishop of Canterbury I am not head of the Church of England. That priviledge remains with the Defender of the Faith, Her Majesty the Queen. Or Shariz –El- Izbeth as she now wishes to be known.’

Rash, I Lived in Brum at the time of Winterval (1998 ish) as a student and later was employed at Birmingham City Council.. The story ran and ran and blew into something it never was.

It was supposed to be an inclusive festival, not a PC statement upon the behalf of the council. It started around Dawali and took in all winter events of most faiths. Its become a bit of an urban legend thanks to little islander attitudes and Daily Mail type scaremongering that has been blown out of all proportion. I think the Council would tell you that its a wholly regrettable episode now though.

The thing is RJ, I'll wager the vast majority of Muslims, Sikhs, Hindu's, whoever don't get offended by Christmas.

However loony councils trying to be "cool" (ie. speaking for non-Christians) play right in the hands of the right-wing press.

The thing is RJ, I'll wager the vast majority of Muslims, Sikhs, Hindu's, whoever don't get offended by Christmas.

However loony councils trying to be "cool" (ie. speaking for non-Christians) play right in the hands of the right-wing press.

I for one celebrate it, if only for those lovely mini sausages wrapped in bacon... roll on 25th December!!

Are those beliefs the same for people who chose to convert “FROM” Islam to other religions?

I don't think you got my point, Col.

It wasn't the council trying to appear cool or speaking for non christians, they just wanted to promote a series of cultural, secular and multi faith events to a wider populace which were organised by the Council. These things included, switching on of xmas lights, bonfire night, carol concerts, dwaili etc all things you would expect the council to be doing anyway.

All this happened to be at winter and for everyone, a festival of winter events if you like, hence the name that could apply equally and without exclusion.

It wasn't in anyway to mitigate for Muslims, Sikhs or Hindu's or anyone else not celebrating xmas, and the council never tried to apologise or make amends because they never believed that xmas was offending anyone. To describe them as Loony Council is a bit harsh, if more events like this were done to include everyone, perhaps we may not have such a deep issue on things like the ones of social/faith exclusion we do today.

• 2 months later...

'Muslim Massacre' computer game condemned as tasteless by British Muslims

A computer game in which players control an American soldier on a mission to “wipe out the Muslim race” has been condemned as tasteless and offensive by British Muslim groups.

The game called Muslim Massacre, which is available as a free download over the internet, allows players to take control of an “American Hero” whose goal is to “ensure that no Muslim man or woman is left alive.”

After being parachuted into the Middle East armed with a machine gun and rocket launcher, the aim is to kill as many Arabs as possible – some dressed as terrorists, others apparently civilians.

Players progress through various levels where they take on Osama bin Laden, Mohammed and finally Allah.

The game’s creator, a freelance programmer known as Sigvatr, described the game as “fun and funny”, but it has sparked anger amongst British Muslim groups who accused it of glamourising violence against Muslims in the Middle East.

“Encouraging children and young people in a game to kill Muslims is unacceptable, tasteless and deeply offensive,” said Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of The Ramadhan Foundation, a leading British Muslim youth organisation.

'Muslim Massacre' computer game condemned as tasteless by British Muslims - Times Online