You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Riera thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can just imagine Riera sitting outside rick Parrys office on a chair tapping his feet waiting to be called in to complete the deal, Parrys probably forgot about him and will probably remember after midnight that hes out there.

You saying Parry is in the office now? Pfft.

He is probably thinking today is Sunday.

From what Ive heard, Pennants gone to Blackburn to talk to Ince with his agent. Chances are he can still end up there.

Great stuff, ship him out for a ridicilous fee without enough time to get a replacement.

The question is: With the departure of players like Crouch, Riise, Finnan and Pennant and the arrival of Keane, N`Gog, Dossena and Degen:

Has the squad or first eleven become stronger, or are we actually talking about a squad/first team of weakened quality here? (At a net price of > 10 m).

To be honest, I didn't think we needed a wide player before I saw any games this season. I assumend that Keane had been signed to play the Gerrard slot in the 4231 and Gerrrd would take Dirk's place with Babel continuing on the left. The fact that we've been using this bizarre 442 with completely inappropriately used players on the flanks has made the lack of width seem glaring. I don't think it would continue to be so if we went with the old system.

Wasn't that why we signed two new full backs who said to be more attacking? If not getting Riera means we can go back to last season's system with Keane and Dossena integrated then I'd be happy - especially if it meant we kept our powder dry for a better player at a later date.

I don't think Rafa has done very well in the transfer window this summer to be honest. He's not been helped by the higher powers but even so he's had a fair amount of dosh.

He's not had a "fair amount of dosh" at all compared to the £48m NET spend by Villa, the £75m+ by Spurs (and rising hourly (they're about to sign Diarra from Pompey, i think), although i appreciate they have also sold players); the £40m NET spend by Sunderland, plus Man City's late spree....

I do agree, however, that he hasn't spent it well. Keane is a downgrade on Crouch in terms of what he offers the squad; Degen a clear downgrade on Finnan. At the very least, we're no stronger.

Keane is a downgrade on Crouch in terms of what he offers the squad; Degen a clear downgrade on Finnan. At the very least, we're no stronger.

When Torres gets injured and you need a goalscorer I'd have Keane over Crouch any day of the week.

You've forgotten about Dossena as well.

He's not had a "fair amount of dosh" at all compared to the £48m NET spend by Villa, the £75m+ by Spurs (and rising hourly (they're about to sign Diarra from Pompey, i think), although i appreciate they have also sold players); the £40m NET spend by Sunderland, plus Man City's late spree....

I do agree, however, that he hasn't spent it well. Keane is a downgrade on Crouch in terms of what he offers the squad; Degen a clear downgrade on Finnan. At the very least, we're no stronger.

Lucky that it hasn`t cost us more than £10-12 M then!

RAFA THRILLED WITH RIERA SWOOP

The Reds have beaten off competition from Premiership opposition to secure the 26-year old on a four year contract.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is thrilled to have landed the former Espanyol man and is confident his new recruit will have no problems in adapting to life in Premiership football.

"Riera has the qualities we were looking for," said Benitez. "He's a left footer who normally plays on the left wing, he's good in the air, strong, powerful and a good crosser of the ball.

"He's the kind of player we have been talking about. He can beat players and get good deliveries into the area for our strikers.

"We've known about him for a long time, since he was at Mallorca and then through his career with Bordeaux, Manchester City and Espanyol.

"He can talk English and of course he knows the Premier League, which is a big bonus. Usually foreign players need time when they go to a new country, but Riera already knows the league and the style of football

"He also had offers from other English clubs but he said no to them because he wanted to come and play for us. That means a lot to me because it shows the commitment he has to play for Liverpool."

Riera will wear squad number 11 at Anfield.

Liverpool have confirmed the deadline day signing of Spanish winger Albert Riera from Espanyol.

Click here to watch Rafa talking about Riera>>

The Reds have beaten off competition from Premiership opposition to secure the 26-year old on a four year contract.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is thrilled to have landed the former Espanyol man and is confident his new recruit will have no problems in adapting to life in Premiership football.

"Riera has the qualities we were looking for," said Benitez. "He's a left footer who normally plays on the left wing, he's good in the air, strong, powerful and a good crosser of the ball.

"He's the kind of player we have been talking about. He can beat players and get good deliveries into the area for our strikers.

"We've known about him for a long time, since he was at Mallorca and then through his career with Bordeaux, Manchester City and Espanyol.

"He can talk English and of course he knows the Premier League, which is a big bonus. Usually foreign players need time when they go to a new country, but Riera already knows the league and the style of football

"He also had offers from other English clubs but he said no to them because he wanted to come and play for us. That means a lot to me because it shows the commitment he has to play for Liverpool."

Riera will wear squad number 11 at Anfield.