You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A brisket of beef

elvis

I have been instructed to cook the above, but would like to know the best way to cook said item.

It says slow cook on the wrapper , it weighs 0.9 kilo , it is most probably the cheapest beef my wife could lay her hands on , but still i would like to make it as tasty as possible

Any thoughts?

It is a relatively cheap cut and you do need to cook it slowly. I'd start by heating the oven to Gas 7, and pre-heat your roasting tray in it too. Season the beef, then pop it into the hot tray and stick it in the oven, and immediately drop to gas 4. generally it's 20 minutes to the pound plus 2o minutes for medium.

Guinness-Braised Beef Brisket

Tender from gentle cooking, this entrée is a classic preparation made without the usual pot watching. Serve it with grainy, coarse-ground mustard. Use the leftovers in classic Rueben sandwiches: sliced corned beef with Thousand Island dressing, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut on sourdough, rye, or pumpernickel bread.

Ingredients

2 cups water

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped carrot

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup Guinness stout

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup tomato paste

1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried dill

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-salt beef broth

6 black peppercorns

2 whole cloves

1 (3-pound) cured corned beef brisket, trimmed

Preparation

Combine first 11 ingredients in a large electric slow cooker, stirring until well blended; top with beef. Cover and cook on HIGH 8 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef; cut diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch slices. Discard broth mixture.

Yield

6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)

It is a relatively cheap cut and you do need to cook it slowly. I'd start by heating the oven to Gas 7, and pre-heat your roasting tray in it too. Season the beef, then pop it into the hot tray and stick it in the oven, and immediately drop to gas 4. generally it's 20 minutes to the pound plus 2o minutes for medium.

Thanks ed, shall i put any oil or water in thetray, shall i cover it and with what shall i season it , dear boy?

Don't Roast brisket.

Stick in in a casserole dish with chunky onions carrots and the like.

Bit of stock and pop in the oven for fuckin ages on a low heat. Take out the meat get rid of the veg. Bit of Gravy powder cornflour to the stock, ace gravy. Boil the usual veg mash tatties. Lovely.

i know this sounds daft but trust me this is what you want to do place in a roasting dish with a lid i have a big metal oval type one with a lid place it in there place 1/2 a cup of water mixed with about a table spoon full of vinigar ordenary malt vinigar will do it wont taste of vinigar honest it breaks down the fat and sinue as it cooks and will be perfect

Microwave, full power 10 minutes.

Peel back the film stir and put back in the microwave for another 5 minutes on full power. Allow to stand for 27 days before serving. For a mediterranean alternative liberally cover with ketchup.

Simple and ace.

Don't Roast brisket.

That needs more emphasis:

DON'T ROAST BRISKET

Guinness-Braised Beef Brisket

Tender from gentle cooking, this entrée is a classic preparation made without the usual pot watching. Serve it with grainy, coarse-ground mustard. Use the leftovers in classic Rueben sandwiches: sliced corned beef with Thousand Island dressing, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut on sourdough, rye, or pumpernickel bread.

Ingredients

2 cups water

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped carrot

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup Guinness stout

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup tomato paste

1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried dill

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-salt beef broth

6 black peppercorns

2 whole cloves

1 (3-pound) cured corned beef brisket, trimmed

Preparation

Combine first 11 ingredients in a large electric slow cooker, stirring until well blended; top with beef. Cover and cook on HIGH 8 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef; cut diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch slices. Discard broth mixture.

Yield

6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces)

Now that does sound nice.