You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard today

Randy Marsh

Torres goes to ground a lot more than Gerrard. Maybe that is because he is fouled and more tightly marked than SG, but he does hit the deck a bit too much. At least he doesn't roll around like he has been shot by a sniper in the stands like a certain Striker from the Ivory Coast.

Im not one to slate gerrard. it pisses me off the stick people give him when he's dragged this club with him many a time over the years, so please dont think im victimising him.

But you cannot deny that twice today, the friedel incident and the one in the second half, he blatantly through himself over trailing his leg for a slight touch. Im sorry but i dont like to see that from one of our players, especially our captain. you expect it off foriegners (bwaaaarrrrrrrrrrrk)

Im not one to slate gerrard. it pisses me off the stick people give him when he's dragged this club with him many a time over the years, so please dont think im victimising him.

But you cannot deny that twice today, the friedel incident and the one in the second half, he blatantly through himself over trailing his leg for a slight touch. Im sorry but i dont like to see that from one of our players, especially our captain. you expect it off foriegners (bwaaaarrrrrrrrrrrk)

He said in the interview after the match that he thought the referee got the first one right.

He thought the second was blatant though and i'd agree. He was blocked off by Samba.

Gerrard isnt a diver. He goes down easily but why shouldnt a player go down when there is contact?

Wrong. It seems we're doing it more and more. Arbeloa, Kuyt, Torres, Gerrard, Carra etc. has all been at it this season. It is creeping more and more into our game and it is just not on.

Guest PaddyBerger15
He said in the interview after the match that he thought the referee got the first one right.

He thought the second was blatant though and i'd agree. He was blocked off by Samba.

Yep and you could tell that from his on pitch reaction in the immediate aftermath of both incidents Brownie. There wasn't much in the way of an appeal or disappointment when the first wasn't given, but he was livid when Samba barged him over which tells you that he didn't think the first was a penalty and he was ahem...'fishing' for a decision.

Wrong. It seems we're doing it more and more. Arbeloa, Kuyt, Torres, Gerrard, Carra etc. has all been at it this season. It is creeping more and more into our game and it is just not on.

Arbeloa exaggerates his falls and often goes down under no contact, he is a diver.

Torres goes down more than most but he has to protect himself from all the cunts who kick lumps out of him.

Anticipating contact or encouraging contact doesnt make you a diver.

I dont think the Ref got much right today to be fair

I thought it was a solid display breaking down Blackburn who came for a draw and most season would have gone home with one

I think once the ref had made his mind up to allow a few shoulder to shoulders go in the favour of the defence he tried to display the same treatment throughout - at the cost of many correct decisions, unfortunately, but at least you can't say he wasn't consistent.

I was listening to the radio and an ex Arsenal player (might have been Perry Groves) made a very good point. He stated theres a difference between being cute and diving, I pressume he's talking about drawing the contact and then going to ground rather than jumping to the deck when theres been none what so ever.

2nd one was a penalty.

I was listening to the radio and an ex Arsenal player (might have been Perry Groves) made a very good point. He stated theres a difference between being cute and diving, I pressume he's talking about drawing the contact and then going to ground rather than jumping to the deck when theres been none what so ever.

Exactly. If you draw a tackle and the defender takes you without getting the ball it is a foul. Why should you have to get out of the way? Defender thinks he's going to get the ball, misses- tough, he has to take the punishment. It's the risk you take diving in instead of staying on your feet.

There is a difference between that and what we've seen most blatantly from Pires a couple of years back but also Ronaldo on occasion where they stick their leg out to the side to make contact and then fall over.

The first Gerard incident there was definite contact to both legs, best seen from the camera angle from behind.

gerrard is the captain and the one who should be telling the players to pack it in rather than showing them how it is done.

No mate, the playing field has to be equal, no team is going to lead the way on this. I agree with the sentiment but it is the job of the ref's and administrators to tell players to stop doing it through their actions.

Which is a very valid point.

You know someone is going to touch you, no matter how hard, so if they are going to fall into your trap, let them.

Stevie knew he was going to get there before Brad but it was never a pen as he was going away from goal and it was going out of play.

The second challenge with Samba however, I feel was a deffo a pen. If Samba is dumb enough to fall into Stevie's trap, then it's a pen, no matter how much contact.

The point is made time and again, if it was any where else on the pitch would it be a foul??