You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe?

lifetime fan

If anyone gets the blame for their second goal it has to be Carra who made no effort at all to close him down but he's won so many games for us he's entitled to a few mistakes.

Blaming the keeper for that goal makes as much sense as insulting Skrtel after one game.

I agree.

Bascombe has an agenda now so he will use whatever he's got to have digs to suit his cause. That's what I think anyway.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not been funny but this thread has become a fucking joke.

Its like a bunch of kids on here at the moment where people been offered to meet and say that to my face.

Fucking grow up you set of muppets. If someone calls me a cunt on here so what its a fucking internet forum. Ive done plenty of pieces that are like essays and once again if people came on and said it was shit so what, thats their opinion and they are entitled to it.

I think many on here need to take a step back from the pc and stop behaving like a fucking witch hunt.

I personally didnt see that much wrong in Bascombes article. I agree with his judgement on Itandje who i was shitting myself everytime he went near the ball.

Ive already posted that i thought Chris should have mentioned how shit Crouch was and how poor Carragher has been for the majority of this season but other then that his summary of how shite we were is spot on.

If i thought Chris Bascombe was a cunt then i would tell him he was a cunt same as anyone on here can do the same to me but all this 'you cant call someone a cunt and back it up' is bollocks.

I personally think Chris is not been aggresive in asking for peoples phone numbers i think he is saying that he is willing to have a conversation with people who may disagree with what he has written and he is prepared to listen to their views. That i think is a noble thing to do.

If Chris has done to as a 'say it to my face' statement then he has gone down a hell of a lot in my estimation but i very much doubt he has.

There's some great posts in here by RR, DT, Coop, Bobhorse and I'm sure I've missed a few. I don't read sunday papers, I rarely read any to be honest, if I buy more than one a week it's a surprise (not enough good free stuff anymore).

My main source of articles relating to the Reds is those posted on here and I just don't see how Bascombe has come under so much stick. If you don't like what he writes that's fine, don't read it. Myself, I think he writes passionately as an obviously passionate red and we have a lot to be grateful to him for.

Plus, Remmie got his balls out for him.

I've never called "ChrisB" a cunt- I've liked him alot up untill recently.

But he's written some quite clearly cuntish things in the last 2-3 weeks against Rafa.

Maybe because I see him as a Fan more than a journalist I wonder why he's putting such a negative vibe out there against a good hearted manager- a manager that loves this club and deserves SUPPORT (shock horror) from the SUPPORTERS.

Maybe Chris, maybe some of you, would be happy with Mourinho in charge- or with some other "World Class" manager in charge at the end of the season. But when, after 4 years he hasn't won the league, I hope you'll think back to a time when a little more patience may have (had) us the league title in May 2009.

Maybe Chris knows DIC are on their way in and the want Rafa out. Maybe chris is looking out for number 1. Fair play to you.

But if I was a journalist with influence over a lot of supporters and was possibly talking to DIC about the managers Future- I'd be putting across a much different view.

To be honest I read it myself (and this will no doubt get me pelted) as having been written in the main with the score at 1-1, with TB expecting it to either end 1-1 or for us to snatch it. Take out the first two paras plus the last one and you'll see what I mean.

Obviously letting Barnsley score twice is an embarrassment, and shows a lack of concentration, but (and inviting a bit more pelting) when the opposition goaly is many people's man of the match then you've got to be objective in your criticism.

Itandje apart, I see no reason why Rafa should be criticised for that result on the basis of his team or his tactics. Charlie should have been dropped after the Havant game, like Dudek should have been dropped after the first Arsenal cup game last season. I'd have preferred him to stick Martin in, at least then one for the future is getting a chance in a big game.

Even Kewell was worth giving another chance to - and did he do nothing at all? Was he not just 2 inches too high from what might have been a great winning goal?

We're not getting hammered in games, we're losing by odd goals, drawing because of missed chances or singular lapses of concentration, we're very very close to winning.

We're so close that any one of the so-called "excuses" may well be the difference.

1. No assistant manager to help refine the rough edges of Rafa's ideas, to come up with alternative ideas to work with, to spot things Rafa doesn't spot.

2. Distractions of having to plan tactics for owner-relations and press-relations instead of getting on with planning tactics for the game.

3. No clear indication of where his future lies from the owners, leaving some players unwilling to give their all, feeling that they've only got to sit it out a bit longer and there'll be a new boss.

4. Injury luck on a par almost of the days of Souness and Boersma.

5. Still no funding to get the squad up to a value like Manchester United's has. Forget the idea that Rafa might have been able to win the league for us with a lower budget than United, that's not a realistic expectation, it's more a hope and a feeling that it's your best chance under your circumstances. Another £20m worth of striker partner for Torres might have been the difference in all those 2-2s, 1-1s and the 0-1s.

6. At least one game we know of (Reading away) where Rafa was forced to sacrifice the league - already a lot to expect - in return for trying to keep his job with a CL result. How many other games were played with that kind of thought in mind? The owners want money, not silverware, and going out of the CL in the quarter finals is probably worth a lot more than lifting the FA Cup as far as cash is concerned.

7. The home support. How many away fans have sung about how crap it is? How many reports have mentioned it? How many of our own have admitted it? Run round three defenders, con the goalie and shoot two inches wide and you get abuse these days. At one time you'd get a cry of "hard luck lad" and a round of applause, giving the player heart to try again a bit later and maybe get it on target this time. Now he's left pissed-off and passing backwards instead of taking a player on. We're still on the whole well-supported, but we are being watched more-and-more by an audience rather than supporters these days.

1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 are in the court of the owners. 1, 2, 3 and 6 could be addressed by the owners now, without the club changing hands. 5 isn't likely under this pair, or guaranteed under DIC if they do come in. We can't do much about number 4, other than Rafa going and pissing on each corner of Paco Hill.

As for number 7, it's probably not going to change until the audience have something to cheer about, the supporters are becoming a minority to the audience and their demands.

I like this one.

The word "imminent" has been used for weeks and weeks on end now. When exactly is imminent?

That match report doesn't make pleasant reading at all, it seems that Chris is really going for Rafa now, although it's difficult to know why. I was just really uncomfortable reading that.

But people calling him "the worst journalist in football" is stupid. The article detailing the Gillett and Hicks era is superb, and no-one else has even come close to offering that level of inside detail. For that, we should be grateful.

Yep. I don't agree with a lot of what he writes in his match reports nowadays, but he has led the way in the GH/DIC-affair.

The article slaughters Rafa and Itandje - who else? It appears, as has been implied by Bascombe previously, that Rafa has lost the dressing room, so why isn't he slaughtering those who aren't acting professionally and not putting the appropriate fucking effort in on the pitch - could it possibly be that they have briefed him in private and he's helping to get rid of a manager who his pals don't like anymore?

To achieve what, to confirm that we have a different view of the club and that I think the NotW and the Sun and shitty little tabloid rags.

Great conversation that'd be.

I'm not looking to have a pop at you Cardie but I'd turn your question round and ask what you're achieving by not doing it?

As for the match report, my only beef is that the headline should have been "Luke Steele In The Hour Of Chaos."

Last I heard Bascombe was a journalist, not a former player, or a player. I respect his opinion, but I can't see the point of people getting so angry about him.

He's a good journalist who's consistently reported the right news through the echo and throught the NOTW for quite some time now.

People gave him shite during the Fowler saga and now during the Rafa saga. The difference is he's got far more sources now compared to the just one Houllier then.

His sources haven't changed since joining the NOTW, just the difference he's got to compile a week's worth information into a couple articles on a Sunday.

I'd rather believe him than anyone else that's for sure.

The most important factor is that we're in club in the shits now. Not because of Bascombe, Rob Beasley, the News of the World or the Sun, but because of our owners, our manager and our players.

I do disagree on your statement regarding Parry and Moores, chrisb, because I reckon they're the ones who got us into this shit in the first place, and you remember them more than anyone else. I'll explain.

The massive PR regarding Dubai during the talks in December 06, then the breakdown which you had to report whilst putting your backside on the line, and then having to cover the Yanks without being allowed to their first Press Conference even.

Don't give them a thank you plug, because it's bit you in the arse, believe me. The rest of the article was spot on.

The article slaughters Rafa and Itandje - who else? It appears, as has been implied by Bascombe previously, that Rafa has lost the dressing room, so why isn't he slaughtering those who aren't acting professionally and not putting the appropriate fucking effort in on the pitch - could it possibly be that they have briefed him in private and he's helping to get rid of a manager who his pals don't like anymore?

Because he has sided with them instead of Rafa? If he wanted he could just as easy have put in digs against them as he's done against Rafa, Itandje and Skrtel.

If he had written the same article for the Echo nobody would've made such a big hooplah about it. Fact.

Personally all newspapers are the same, regardless of name. It's the journalists though who make the difference. The mirror's shite but Reade's pretty good, ditto for Kay at the Times and so on and so.

As I've said before: Bollocks.

Yep, because a single line post without any justification is always what's needed to prove a point.

I had no problem with Bascombe whatsoever before he wrote the Sunderland Match report.

I eagerly awaited his articles when he was at the Echo and still eagerly await his articles now he's writing for the NOTW.

I DO think the NOTW is a little to close to that rag for comfort, but I've never begrudged chris for going there.

When you write cuntish match reports, which don't help at all, then you get the "Hooplah"

this is my problem with the guy,im greatfull for his work in keeping us up to date on the IMMINENT take over but his match reports of late are a disgrace to say the least.

and tbh its not really his apparent agenda against rafa that bothers me,hes the manager hes there to be shot at,its his dislike for intandje that absolutely amazes me,the guy isnt as bad as chris is painting him to be.

chris is a well respected journo among pool fans,thats why every article he writes is analyzed to death.

its just a pity that all his match reports of late have turned into a public soap box for him to air out a few people who he has taking a dislike to,rather than just reporting on the match.

I think Bascombe and Barrett are on a hiding to nothing as they are writing about a club they love but also have a good idea of the inner goings on at the club. Both Barrett and Bascombe get things wrong as often they get told things that don't end up happening for one reason or another - both will admit that. This is a seriously fucked up time as the manager is doing shit and the owners are wankers so we hang on their every word. When the dust settled we will say thank God for both of them because without them we would be pissing in the wind.

I'm a little dubious about those people who claim the moral high ground over the NOTW.

I've never cared about the NOTW or any sunday rag to be honest but those who go on about the sunday sun etc then i suppose you would abstain from the Times or Sky which lets face it is the walking talking sun, they advertise the sun like no other

All these media outlets are mouthpeices of Murdoch they spout his agenda so to pick and choose seem somewhat hypocritical, no?