You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ireland

The-Sir

Looking to go to Dublin for a few days (Monday to Thursday) in December and was just wondering if anyone can give any recommendations on what to do there, what to see, places to eat, good boozers etc.

Basically anything worth doing in Dublin, and anything in other parts of the country (so long as it's definately worth it)

Temple Bar is the place. It is the essence of Ireland in a wee bit of road. Stay in Temple Bar eat in Temple Bar, dance in Temple Bar. If I were you, I'd probably go to Temple bar.

Do you work in Temple Bar on their marketing committee?

Temple Bar should be avoided at all costs. Full of piss heads and shitty little shops.

Dublin city centre was the most boring place ever to try and kill time during the day. I had to wait a few hours for JohnB's plane to get in and just wondered around aimlessly looking for something to do until I stumbled across Forbidden Planet.

feckin Idiot - why didn't ye text me and I would have dropped in to town to you ..sure brennan has my number ...could have gone skateboarding or I could have shown you my Nirvana Gig pictures from Sir Henrys in cork:whistle:

Looking to go to Dublin for a few days (Monday to Thursday) in December and was just wondering if anyone can give any recommendations on what to do there, what to see, places to eat, good boozers etc.

Basically anything worth doing in Dublin, and anything in other parts of the country (so long as it's definately worth it)

Best advise you'll ever get - Don't bother with Dublin,you'll just be another english accent lost amongst thousands of Cockerneys,Brummies and scots .. ryan air fly to Cork from Speke for a tenner each way and a wayyyyy better trip

If you want to go to Ireland dont go to Dublin.

Stay in Cork or Kerry or Galway but not Dublin. Trust me. You will have a much better time.

Best advise you'll ever get - Don't bother with Dublin,you'll just be another english accent lost amongst thousands of Cockerneys,Brummies and scots .. ryan air fly to Cork from Speke for a tenner each way and a wayyyyy better trip

Agreed.

and i suggest if you do go to Cork visit the wonderful sights of BugerKing after disco hours, i didn't want to leave i was laughing so much.

Dublin is one of the dullest cities I have ever visited. Temple Bar sucks knobs, and there is simply not much to do or see there. The Guinness tour was a big anti-climax and rates as the worst brewery tour I have been on.

On the plus side, you get bored very quickly as there is not much of it, so you don't get that false hope that you have maybe just not seen the best bit yet, because you have.

Have a good time.

So basically the recommendations for my trip to Dublin is to not get on the plane. Where else in Ireland would people suggest me going to? And why?

Dublin has a tremendous amount of things to see. The book of Kells at Trinity college, Christchurch and St. Patrick's Cathedral are well worth a visit. Take in the shopping and busking on Grafton Street and a walk around St. Stephen's green.

It's been ages since I spent time in Dublin as my family now live in Wexford, but Temple Bar is ok only if you want a piss up.

I suggest Galway, Cork and Kilkenny, loads to do and the people are great unlike the capital.

In fairness, I found Dubliners quite charming and helpful. I didn't hate the place, I was just surprised, having done little research before I went, of just how little there is to do, compared to other city breaks I've been on.

Can I suggest Galway. Dont know exactly what you are looking for but this is a compact city with a great nightlife. Lots of arty farty type stuff too. Some top notch restaurants and its on the coast with great scenery out the road in Connemara.

You wouldnt be disappointed in Cork (Kinsale maybe) or Dingle in Kerry.

Dublin is good for a one day/night session but no more.

So basically the recommendations for my trip to Dublin is to not get on the plane. Where else in Ireland would people suggest me going to? And why?

I lived in Dublin for a while and the best way I could describe it is being a cross between Liverpool (mainly in the way the people are) and London (in that it is very much a hustle and bussle type place).

I love the place and Ireland generally but it depends on what you want from the trip. What's your idea of a good trip?

Dublin has a tremendous amount of things to see. The book of Kells at Trinity college, Christchurch and St. Patrick's Cathedral are well worth a visit. Take in the shopping and busking on Grafton Street and a walk around St. Stephen's green.

It's been ages since I spent time in Dublin.....

So you can go have a look at some books, look at a cathedral, go shopping and get pissed.

Isn't Dublin the dearest city in europe