You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

What are your simple but tasty tasty very very tasty recipes?

I'll start with:

Tin of chopped tomatoes mixed with about half that quantity of water (with chicken stock cube). Throw is some spinach and basil and you have an ace soup. Or you can mix in some pasta, but my favourite is to cook it slowly with some lamb in and then mix with linguine.

I know some of you must have some ace ideas, but if anyone mentions pot bastard noodles or dairylea on toast they should be banned.

An improvement on your bog standard cheese on toast. "Special on toast".

Grated cheese, some fresh tomato chopped up small, onion chopped up small, one egg, slat and pepper. Mix all together. Do your toast on one side and then spread mix on the uncooked side and toast slowly - low down on the grill. Mush all the mixture up a bit after its first browned and then grill again so you cook the mix through . You get a nice souffle y egg, tomato and onion topping. Serve with a squirt of brown sauce. ymmy.

Garlic, spinach, riccotta, pasta. Yum.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for salad dressings or similar such things. I got a pestle and mortar for christmas and I'm dying to use it.

Paul - going to rip off your rice/feta/salad thing tomorrow.

Garlic, spinach, riccotta, pasta. Yum.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for salad dressings or similar such things. I got a pestle and mortar for christmas and I'm dying to use it.

Paul - going to rip off your rice/feta/salad thing tomorrow.

I don't think you can beat balsamic and extra virgin olive oil. Sainsbury's do this really sweet and syruppy balsamic that still retains a some sharpness. It's fucking magic.

A classic French dressing is nice too: mustard, oil and vinegar.

Other ace, quick food: boil basmati rice in a pan. After five mins, chuck in frozen peas (petite pois are nicest) and frozen sweetcorn. Then after another five minutes drain and mix with lashings if pesto. Eat.

To jazz it up a bit, add olives and ham/pancetta/bacon (whatever you've got - but a handy quick tea tip is to keep some of those little packs of cubetti di pancetta in the freezer and flash fry them till crispy from frozen). Done in eleven minutes, start to plate.

Another quick tea: put fresh filled pasta on to boil (only takes five mins). Flash fry pancetta (as above); lob in frozen petit pois and give it a couple of mins. Then add sliced 'shrooms and keep heat v. high so they soak up all the oil and flavour. Finally, as you're draining the pasta, chuck a very good slosh of white wine into the pan with the meat, peas and mushies and tilt into the flames to burn off the alcohol. Then tip over the pasta and serve with loads of black pepper. It doesn't need any salt due to the pancetta. Done in six minutes, start to plate.

Omelettes are also the plums. Even a plain one with pepper, bread and butter is amazing - and done in two minutes. The secret is to get the pan bastard hot, lob in some butter, turn off the heat and lob the eggs in, keeping the pan moving until done. Obviously all manner of tastiness can be added, but simple works for me.

I don't think you can beat balsamic and extra virgin olive oil. Sainsbury's do this really sweet and syruppy balsamic that still retains a some sharpness. It's fucking magic.

A classic French dressing is nice too: mustard, oil and vinegar.

Other ace, quick food: boil basmati rice in a pan. After five mins, chuck in frozen peas (petite pois are nicest) and frozen sweetcorn. Then after another five minutes drain and mix with lashings if pesto. Eat.

To jazz it up a bit, add olives and ham/pancetta/bacon (whatever you've got - but a handy quick tea tip is to keep some of those little packs of cubetti di pancetta in the freezer and flash fry them till crispy from frozen). Done in eleven minutes, start to plate.

Another quick tea: put fresh filled pasta on to boil (only takes five mins). Flash fry pancetta (as above); lob in frozen petit pois and give it a couple of mins. Then add sliced 'shrooms and keep heat v. high so they soak up all the oil and flavour. Finally, as you're draining the pasta, chuck a very good slosh of white wine into the pan with the meat, peas and mushies and tilt into the flames to burn off the alcohol. Then tip over the pasta and serve with loads of black pepper. It doesn't need any salt due to the pancetta. Done in six minutes, start to plate.

I'm liking the sound of both of those quick options.

I just picked up some blasamic from Sainsbury's in town, probably not the same one, but it's excellent all the same.

I'm liking the sound of both of those quick options.

I just picked up some blasamic from Sainsbury's in town, probably not the same one, but it's excellent all the same.

The one I like is in quite a small bottle. It's organic, I think (although that's incidental - I buy it for the taste) and from Modena.