You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

the 'ignore function'

Bob

I've seen a few people mention putting someone on 'ignore' in a couple of posts lately and I just had a few questions about it...

firstly how do you do it?

secondly why would you do it? doesnt it make the thread a bit nonsensical when people might respond to a post written by someone you are currently ignoring and therefore you have no context in which to take something.

Finally, if you wanted to ignore someone, cant you just not read their posts?

if anyone has any answers please send them in on a postcard, no fuck it, just reply.

I've seen a few people mention putting someone on 'ignore' in a couple of posts lately and I just had a few questions about it...

firstly how do you do it?

secondly why would you do it? doesnt it make the thread a bit nonsensical when people might respond to a post written by someone you are currently ignoring and therefore you have no context in which to take something.

Finally, if you wanted to ignore someone, cant you just not read their posts?

if anyone has any answers please send them in on a postcard, no fuck it, just reply.

What it does is it shows you that there is a post by whoever you've put on there but you can't read the post itself.

• 6 years later...

Bump

I know it's been mentioned a few times lately, I'm bumping this to implore that all of you who so vehemently disagree with another poster to use it.

1, it'll make this place a more pleasant place to be

2, it'll lower your blood pressure

3, it'll limit your future number of posts making it seem like you have a life

4, you'll save time - instead of arguing with another poster you could spend that time enjoying some vitamin D.

I'm sure you can all add to this list, but given i'm not as highly strung as some of you i was struggling.

Directions...

Go to user CP

left hand side half way down, click edit ignore function,

type in members name... voilà, a more peaceful life and no more reading shit.

Nobody on here makes me angry enough that I need to take a step back. There are some that test my patience mainly because I don't agree with them and they seem to make the same point over and over again, but I've never engaged in the sort of full-blown warfare that several posters on here seem to revel in. As a result I've never had to put anybody on ignore, and I don't know if anyone has me on ignore either.

I used to think it wasn't really a good thing to do, as we come across opinions we don't agree with all the time in life and obviously dismiss them without letting them get to us.

After Dave implored people to use it last week on another meltdown thread, however, I thought I'd give it a go and I have to say I can't recommend it enough. A few people have been proper getting my goat of late and now, when I see an 'invisible' post, I smile (possibly smugly) to myself and breeze on by.

I know it's me who has the problem, as I should just let it go, but this is the easier option, until I am a better man.