You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Proud Parent. My son is running the London Marathon

Champ

10 minutes ago, suzy said:

I’ve only just seen this, my Mum has Parkinson’s and she’s had many a fall so happy to donate.

Aw thanks.

I was going to go over and see him today but I’ve succumbed to some lurgy and don’t want to pass it on to him now so close to the event 

• Upvote 1

The best of luck and thanks for highlighting this. My father passed away from this a couple of years ago, it was a horrible combination, Parkinson's and Dementia. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, an tha said:

How is the training going?

Taper time coming up now ideally - so time to reduce volume and longest run should be banked now or is coming up in next few days at latest....

He did his last long run today, 21 miles. Next one, just 12. We had that conversation yesterday when running 12 miles seems hardly worth getting out of bed for.

I’ve been terrified about saying too much about his training in case, well, you know…

1 hour ago, Champ said:

He did his last long run today, 21 miles. Next one, just 12. We had that conversation yesterday when running 12 miles seems hardly worth getting out of bed for.

I’ve been terrified about saying too much about his training in case, well, you know…

He is doing right thing.

From about 3 weeks out peaking with a run of 20-22 miles (so 21 is dead on) start to taper.

All about going into race day with fresh legs - so yeah next 3 weeks you just tick over - the hard miles are done now and the adaptations from that training will all be there on raceday and the next 3 weeks reduced schedule will mean he arrives on raceday in best nick and ready to perform at best.

The 21 miles he did today were probably on pretty tired legs as a part of likely a 50 mile week and all the other issues the hard work causes our bodies - imagine what he'll do on fresher legs and a more rested body  in 3 weeks - he'll feel great and the 26.2 miles on the day will feel so much easier than the 21 he did today.

I did 20 miles as my long run last week and did a timed long run today of 2 hrs 30 and that brought me up to 200 miles this month - i can't wait for my taper to start. I am still 5 weeka out from my marathon though so still a couple of hard weeks to go and 2 more long runs....

Bastard!

13 hours ago, an tha said:

He is doing right thing.

From about 3 weeks out peaking with a run of 20-22 miles (so 21 is dead on) start to taper.

All about going into race day with fresh legs - so yeah next 3 weeks you just tick over - the hard miles are done now and the adaptations from that training will all be there on raceday and the next 3 weeks reduced schedule will mean he arrives on raceday in best nick and ready to perform at best.

The 21 miles he did today were probably on pretty tired legs as a part of likely a 50 mile week and all the other issues the hard work causes our bodies - imagine what he'll do on fresher legs and a more rested body  in 3 weeks - he'll feel great and the 26.2 miles on the day will feel so much easier than the 21 he did today.

I did 20 miles as my long run last week and did a timed long run today of 2 hrs 30 and that brought me up to 200 miles this month - i can't wait for my taper to start. I am still 5 weeka out from my marathon though so still a couple of hard weeks to go and 2 more long runs....

Bastard!

I forgot about the tiredness in his legs thing.

He said his time was slow yesterday and I should have been able to explain why.

Which marathon are you doing?

20 hours ago, Champ said:

I forgot about the tiredness in his legs thing.

He said his time was slow yesterday and I should have been able to explain why.

Which marathon are you doing?

Milton Keynes - 6th May.

Yeah the hard weeks with long runs on tired legs are what help build the strength and endurance - the taper period now helps to freshen you up and means you arrive on race day with all that endurance and strength and fresh legs to carry you.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Milton Keynes - 6th May.

Yeah the hard weeks with long runs on tired legs are what help build the strength and endurance - the taper period now helps to freshen you up and means you arrive on race day with all that endurance and strength and fresh legs to carry you.

I just hope it’s not too warm on the day. And for yours. I remember the last time I did it I don’t think I’d done a training run without wearing gloves and on the day it was in the high teens and I just wasn’t adapted for it.

12 hours ago, Champ said:

I just hope it’s not too warm on the day. And for yours. I remember the last time I did it I don’t think I’d done a training run without wearing gloves and on the day it was in the high teens and I just wasn’t adapted for it.

Should be ok.

My last one was an autumn marathon so trained through peak of summer and some unbelievably hot days. But on day always want it cool, cool and dry and not windy is ideal

Then week of it there was a mad heatwave - totally unseasonal, day before it was unreal luckily it abated a bit on the raceday and was ok.

Good luck to your lad.

• 3 weeks later...

Proud parent? Nervous more like.

He’s done all the work. I just hope he gets his reward. So looking forward to cheering him on his way.

Thank you to everyone who helped him smash his fundraising target.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

Proud parent? Nervous more like.

He’s done all the work. I just hope he gets his reward. So looking forward to cheering him on his way.

Thank you to everyone who helped him smash his fundraising target.

You in London, C?

Good luck to the lad 

The marathon itself is the victory lap - the hard work is the training - go and enjoy the day and the race, the crowds are superb, the whole day is just one massive buzz - savour every minute of it.