You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend Me Some Music Artists I Should Be Listening To (Because I'm Crap)

Anubis

22 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Give Lankum a go for decent Irish stuff

Osees are still the best live band on the planet under various spellings

Try Lewsburg if you fancy some great Dutch music heavily influenced by the 3rd Velvet Underground album. 

Lewsberg is correct spelling. Boss band. 

I was after something similar when I realised my top 2023 songs were pretty much the same as 2022's Spotify list. So I thought I'd try going through the Guardian's top 50 albums. Big mistake, unless you're into sad girl singer songwriters or autotuned 'pop' then this is a bag of shite. I didn't even like the Blur album...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/dec/05/the-50-best-albums-of-2023

My favourites of late

PJ Harvey

Sleater-Kinney

Big Thief

The Murder Capital

The Mysterines

Hi-Vis

Kid Kapichi

Lucy Dacus

Blondshell

Momma

Amyl and The Sniffers

IDLES

Heartless Bastards

Feist

Yo La Tengo

Kid Wave

Little Barrie

Angel Olsen

Julia Jacklin

Wolf Alice

Horsegirl

Dry Cleaning

Courtney Barnett

The Kills

Just Mustard

Big Joanie

Dead Moon

I dont have a favourite genre as such and will listen to most music. Like most, some i like some i dont. 

Enjoying listening to Lets Eat Grandma (experimental pop) just now along with Marilyn Manson. Lets Eat Grandmas version of Nik Drake's "from the morning" is probably the only cover of his i can listen to (I'm a fanboyof his music).

What you may find is by selecting a few of the recommendations on here and either listening right through or skipping, the streaming service will start to recommend others of a simliar ilk and before you know it you will be lsietening to stuff you enjoy.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I was after something similar when I realised my top 2023 songs were pretty much the same as 2022's Spotify list. So I thought I'd try going through the Guardian's top 50 albums. Big mistake, unless you're into sad girl singer songwriters or autotuned 'pop' then this is a bag of shite. I didn't even like the Blur album...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/dec/05/the-50-best-albums-of-2023

Yeah I had a look at that the other day. I quite like a few of those, but it’s not been a vintage year for great albums.

That PJ Harvey album for example wouldn’t get close to her top 5 records. Grian Chatten’s album was quite good, but not as good as the three Fontaines DC albums.

If you like a bit of girl disco, I really liked Silver by Say She She (terrible name).

Brain Worms by RVG pretty good indie from Melbourne.

13 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Shack HMS Fable 

Aim Cold Water Music

Leftfield Leftism

Hafdis Huld Darkest Night (most recent album) 

Not used Tidal but hopefully they’ll be on there. 

Repped for HMS Fable, which still sound great. 

12 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Give Lankum a go for decent Irish stuff

Osees are still the best live band on the planet under various spellings

Try Lewsburg if you fancy some great Dutch music heavily influenced by the 3rd Velvet Underground album. 

If you like the Lankum albums, give John Francis Flynn a go. The production is amazing. 

Really like Lewsburg, from the few bits and pieces I've heard. 

My favourite group on the planet for a few years have been Protomartyr. Labelled as post punk which doesn't really describe them or do them any justice. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Repped for HMS Fable, which still sound great. 

If you like the Lankum albums, give John Francis Flynn a go. The production is amazing. 

Really like Lewsburg, from the few bits and pieces I've heard. 

My favourite group on the planet for a few years have been Protomartyr. Labelled as post punk which doesn't really describe them or do them any justice. 

Protomartyr are boss.

Relatives in Descent is an album I listen to a lot.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Mook said:

You do realise that these older artists recorded some of their music?

Yes. From earlier artists. Hence go back and listen to the original versions which obviously pre date them. If you mean older artists like Dylan recording modern songs then I dont listen to much,if anything,pre 2000.

I will add that there are talented musicians around but I cant be arsed trawling through tons of stuff until I find one I like.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes. From earlier artists. Hence go back and listen to the original versions which obviously pre date them. If you mean older atists like Dylan recording modern songs then I dont listen to much,if anything,pre 2000.

What in the name of Christ are you on about?

My point was you don't need a time machine to listen to older music because it was recorded for posterity.

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Unbelievable stuff. The latest one has really grown on me over the last few months too. 

I haven't played it as much as probably should....

Probably find a lot of people once shout them up might be put off by the vocals - i know lads i am in a whatsapp group with where we share music suggestions were - but i love them!

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

I haven't played it as much as probably should....

Probably find a lot of people once shout them up might be put off by the vocals - i know lads i am in a whatsapp group with where we share music suggestions were - but i love them!

The depressing thing about Spotify is how bands of that level can barely keep their heads above water now. Touring and physical record/merchandise sales are of huge importance. 

The artist always got screwed by the music industry, but it's been different level shit since streaming really took off. 

28 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The depressing thing about Spotify is how bands of that level can barely keep their heads above water now. Touring and physical record/merchandise sales are of huge importance. 

The artist always got screwed by the music industry, but it's been different level shit since streaming really took off. 

I am conflicted about streaming....from a consumers point of view it is the best thing ever - makes discovering music so much easier - i've never listened to so many different artists and therefore found stuff i love that no doubt i would not have found if it were not for streaming....and i have then become a fan of artists and bought tickets to see them etc....

It has massively enriched my music life - the convenience and all that too...

But i totally see the other side of the coin from the artists side and of course the lesser known/less commercially established artists.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

It probably cost about a grand in total to make.

It's not for everyone, being a successful pop star.

Your margins aren't great but maybe you can make it up on volume. Just release loads and loads of albums. 

To be serious I'll gladly have listen if it will help generate revenue. What, where and how?

7 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Your margins aren't great but maybe you can make it up on volume. Just release loads and loads of albums. 

To be serious I'll gladly have listen if it will help generate revenue. What, where and how?

Here you go. If you can listen to it a few million times, that'd be great, thanks.

• Upvote 3