You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stocks, shares, forex and shit.

Section_31

Anyone dabble?

I've got a small amount of savings and was thinking I should probably do something with at least some of it, less than a grand certainly. 

Been reading about various forex apps and "robots" which do the trading for you, have read reviews but there's lots of conflicting opinions when it comes to whether or not it's worthwhile. 

Buy high, sell low.

Most financial savvy people recommend index funds, such as the Global All Cap but you need to keep it in there for ideally 10+ years plus. I've got a few grand in one and it's up about £100 in a year and half which isn't great but over time, it should give greater returns (I hope!). Also be aware that companies such as Vanguard etc who manage these funds for you charge a fee for doing so. 

You can make far greater profits in riskier stocks/equity funds but conversely lose it all as well. I don't bother with anything like that as I'm pretty risk averse.

• Upvote 1

I work in the industry, the safe investing is with asset managers, who will spread your money pretty wisely among a number of stocks. Not much chance of making any great loss that way unless the arse falls out the market.

I don't do any investing myself, I find it all incredibly tedious after 13 years of it. All my savings are in an ISA doing fuck all.

• Upvote 1

After a lifetime of not really giving a fuck I've built a little portfolio over the past couple of years once inflation started getting out of hand. 

Most of it's in index funds like Vanguards Vusa that tracks the S&P 500, with small amounts in individual stocks and Bitcoin/Ethereum. I'm in  it for the long term, but if I cashed in now I'd be around 20% up all told, which is a good return,  especally considering the markets.

My advice, if you want it, would be to do plenty of research, stick to funds rather than companies at first, and diversify.

• Upvote 1

I have an eToro account that I add a few quid into every month. I've made about 27% return over the last 5 years. I also purchased an investment bond with Zurich life that has a broker type managing it for me. They are apart from my pension which I'm more careful about. But I'll be honest I've no real idea about any of it and just hope for the best. Knowing my luck I'll be dead and not see the benefits of any of it. 

• Upvote 1

Forex would be a waste of time imo. It's a brutally efficient market dominated by financial institutions, there's no way you or anyone else could really compete unless you put in serious time to understand things.

Given the amounts, unless you're willing to go risky with low cap stocks or Crypto, it's going to be difficult to grow it into anything too significant, but guess it depends on what you want to get out of it and your appetite for risk.