You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Tottenham Hotspur 2 Liverpool 1 - Match Reaction

tlw content

How do you sum that up? The Reds have had their unbeaten record stolen after some questionable decisions by the officials plus one that may well be the biggest 'mistake' ever seen on a top flight football pitch in this country.

Dave Usher is joined by Paul Natton and Julian Richards to dissect an unbelievable game in North London in which the Reds lost yet still managed to lay down a serious marker in the title race. A fantastic performance full of heart, resilience and class may have ended in heartbreak, but this team is the real deal.

(The pod was recorded shortly after full time before we had the 'explanation' for why the Luis Diaz goal was not given but we'll address that in the next pod after the Europa League game)

View full article

• Upvote 8

• dave u pinned this topic

It’s not just the injustice, it’s the sense of total impotence when this stuff happens. If we’re lucky we may get an apology, which is utterly fucking useless when points are stolen and trophies lost as a direct result. 

• Upvote 3

Anyone whose power vastly outstrips their income is corruptible.

I don't see why people shy away from the possibility of official corruption. The current Barcelona case is likely the tip of the iceberg.

Poor Guardiola, though: the stench of corruption seems to have followed him throughout his career as both player and coach.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I don't see why people shy away from the possibility of official corruption. The current Barcelona case is likely the tip of the iceberg.

Poor Guardiola, though: the stench of corruption seems to have followed him throughout his career as both player and coach.

I know, it's odd. I wonder if it's a peculiarly english thing, like it's somehow easier to believe literally unbelievable levels of incompetence and incapability than corruption and bias (which is a very normal human "emotion").  Like it's an affront to a sense of fair play - which is totally at odds with living in one of the most corrupted countries in the western world, it's fucking everywhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Yup. The officials are only human and PGMOL reminded us of that last night. But as humans, they/we are all prey to human frailties….. bias, conscious or otherwise, defensiveness, back covering, looking out for your mates. I’ve always believed MotD in cock up than conspiracy , but is it such a stretch to imagine a small cabal of officials getting together, probably after that incident between Klopp and Brookes , and deciding to put the German in his place?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DaveT said:

It’s not just the injustice, it’s the sense of total impotence when this stuff happens. If we’re lucky we may get an apology, which is utterly fucking useless when points are stolen and trophies lost as a direct result. 

This is exactly how I feel.  It's so demoralizing 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Great job boys. Never seen or heard Paul so angry!

I'm definitely not buying the 'forgot it was given offside on the field' explanation. No fucking way that's even plausible.

Appreciate you saying it was a good job mate. I wasn’t sure whether it was even coherent at the time of recording. It’s deffo the most my head’s ever been fucked with over football. Way worse than any significant defeats in big competitions. Just so fundamentally unfair on so many levels. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Appreciate you saying it was a good job mate. I wasn’t sure whether it was even coherent at the time of recording. It’s deffo the most my head’s ever been fucked with over football. Way worse than any significant defeats in big competitions. Just so fundamentally unfair on so many levels. 

Completely agree. 

We should  be top of the league this weekend which would have been incredible. Instead we're fucking fourth because of that shower at PGMOL. I'm still raging over it.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if "enjoyed that" is the right response but I did in a way, cathartic I suppose.  Lots of good points made and plenty of good discussion despite the shell shock (presumably?) and rage.

And I especially enjoyed someone's cat (Jules?) making a guest appearance after about 15 seconds, a welcome calming note to start off on.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Moo said:

I don't know if "enjoyed that" is the right response but I did in a way, cathartic I suppose.  Lots of good points made and plenty of good discussion despite the shell shock (presumably?) and rage.

And I especially enjoyed someone's cat (Jules?) making a guest appearance after about 15 seconds, a welcome calming note to start off on.

Yep, that was Tinker getting involved.

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed that. Watching with the mate I usually watch us with, and in the last ten minutes we were saying, ‘we could still win this’. That’s how well we were managing things and how organised, disciplined and sharp our team looks now. Ok, we saw our arses coz we lost, but the anger and disappointment at the manner of it didn’t dampen our belief in this squad. Up the fucking reds. 

• dave u unpinned this topic