You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle 1 Liverpool 2 (Aug 27 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

What a wild ride that was. I went through the full range of emotions during this 90 minutes, from thinking our season was going to be even worse than last year to wondering if this was our “Villa Park moment” and whether we might just shock everyone and win the league!

It was mental. I went from wanting to strangle Klopp to wanting to kiss him. I went from demanding for Trent to be subbed to screaming “fucking go ‘ed lad” when he took the ball to the corner flag, won a throw in and let out a visceral yell up to the away fans stuck up in the rafters.

The only thing that was consistent is the love and unwavering faith I have in my boy Darwin. This is surely the springboard for him to unleash hell on the league now. What a fucking devastating cameo that was. I’ll get to that though, oh yes you know I will.

There’s loads to unpack first though. What a mental first half. We actually started the game well I thought. The first few minutes were really good. We settled quickly, played some good stuff and the pressing was great. That part of our game was good all day I thought, it wasn’t easy for Newcastle to play through us even when we only had ten men.

Five minutes in though it got wild when the referee decided he was going to make it all about him. I do think there’s a bit of blame to go around though and it’s as much on Howard Webb as any of the refs. He’s the egotistical prick who has decided he wants refs to fully embrace their inner traffic warden. All of this “refs need to be shown respect” is a bit rich isn’t it? I mean in theory I completely agree, mainly because of how it affects the game at grass roots level. 

But half of these jumped up little wankers at Premier League level just don’t deserve respect. They deserve a fucking slap. Eventually someone will give it to them too. I worry that one day Kloppo is going to snap and choke slam Tierney. I wouldn’t even blame him if he did, because there’s only so much of this shit you can tolerate. 

It gets worse every season and all VAR has done is exposed the bias that many of us suspected was there for decades (not specifically an LFC related comment that, more of a general observation). At least previously they could hide behind the “we only get one look at it, mistakes are going to happen”. That’s gone out of the window now, they’re still doing whatever they like even when they’ve got replays. 

John Brooks of course is the ref who Klopp stupidly celebrated in front of last season and pulled his hamstring in the process. That got him a touchline ban and we’ve been getting fucked by refs ever since. The double standards from Brooks in this game was there for all to see.

Joelinton and Guimares were given free rein to foul as much as they liked. So many potential counter attacks of ours were halted by fouls and Brooks just let it happen. For those two to come out of this game with no yellow card between them shows you just where Brooks’ head was at. He laid down a marker early.

I’d say Trent was both lucky and unlucky with how things went in that mad sixth minute of the game. His yellow card is a fucking disgrace. Firstly, I find it hard to believe how any referee could miss the blatant shove in the back by Gordon. It’s one of those rare incidents where literally everybody in the ground can clearly see what has happened and it’s as clear a foul as you’ll ever see. 

There’s no room for interpretation there, and it doesn’t fall under that “letting more physical stuff go to keep the game flowing”. This ain’t that. Both the linesman and fourth official saw it and told Klopp it was a foul. How didn’t Brooks see it? He must have. He certainly saw Trent’s little throw of the ball though didn’t he?

Not giving a free-kick for that shove is genuinely incredible. Then he books Trent for throwing the ball back on the pitch. It’s almost like he was daring Klopp to do something. This happened right in front of him. Co-incidence? Nah. He knew what he was doing. Sending a message to Klopp again. Reminding him who has the power. “Celebrate in my face? See what happens.”

Loads of people are justifying that yellow under this new ‘hard line’ stance on dissent. Fuck right off. He threw the ball back onto the pitch, he didn’t boot it into the stands. Was it dissent? A little, but it’s fuck all really and any ref handing out a yellow for that five minutes into a game is asking for trouble. 

You know what makes it worse? I didn’t get onto this at the time but I’ve watched the game back and about 20 seconds after Trent was booked, Gordon commits another foul which Brooks blew for, and Gordon then kicked the ball away to stop us taking the free-kick!!

Trent and Dom brought it to the ref’s attention but he wasn’t interested. Honestly, how the fuck can he justify that? You book Trent but not Gordon. Why? What’s the difference? You’re either making a stand on this or you aren’t.

We saw Mac Allister booked at Chelsea for asking for a yellow card when he was cynically brought down by Gallagher. Instead, he got booked and Gallagher didn’t. Yet when Trent put out an arm and caught Gordon we had half the Newcastle team and all of their bench charging to the ref demanding he send Trent off and Joelinton was waving an imaginary card. No punishment though. 

None for Trippier either who ran the full width of the pitch to demand a booking. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame him at all as he’s the captain so he’s the one who should be doing it and even though I think that’s acceptable, I don’t make the rules and I thought this kind of thing wasn’t ok anymore?

That gobshite assistant manager went running from the bench to demand a card, and he’d done the same thing when Trent threw the ball away. Klopp told him to sit down and he shushed Klopp. How’d that turn out for you, you arrogant bellend? I only wish that photoshopped image of Klopp shushing him later on had been real. 

He’s not even meant to be in the technical area but the orange cunt sets up camp in there every game and for some reason it’s allowed. Are they joint managers like Evans and Houllier? He sure acts like it, and Beheddie Howe is such a snivelling little dweeb he does nothing about it. The entire league hates Tindall and rightly so. What a fucking scumbag.

That being said, what the hell is Trent thinking putting his arm out like that, a minute after he’d been booked? You know Gordon is going to ground if you so much as breathe on him, and while it was a dive by him the fact remains that Trent deliberately made a move towards him and put his arm out and shoved him. 

I don’t even have a problem with Gordon going to ground there. He’d have been stupid not to and I’d expect any of our lads to do the same in that situation. If Trent had been given a second yellow, the blame would be is, not Gordon’s.

It was stupid beyond belief and I can’t get my head around it. Trent is the most intelligent lad in the entire squad by all accounts. He’s not some thick fucker, yet he did THAT?

The ref bottled it and such was the lack of control he had at that point he managed to piss everybody off. He could easily have sent Trent off but he knew if he did the spotlight would be on him for the ridiculous first yellow so he took the easy way out. 

Anyway, at this point I’m losing my shit at Trent and demanding that Klopp subs him. Gomez was sent out to warm up and I didn’t see any way Trent was staying on that field. He’d need to play 85 minutes plus stoppages without committing a single foul, because the next one would defo see him off.

Even if he could do that why would you leave your right back out there knowing he basically can’t make a tackle, and he’s facing the biggest diver in the league? I know he’s an important player but he had to be subbed for me.

Whatsmore, as the half wore on it was clear that his head was up his arse as his passing was way off. As each minute passed by with no substitution, the rage was building in me. Then he took his eye off the ball and allowed that rat Gordon to run through and score. 

I didn’t know who I was more pissed off with, Trent or Klopp. The mistake is on Trent but he shouldn’t have still been on the field by that point so I was mostly mad at Klopp I think. What the fuck was he thinking?

Then we had the Virgil sending off as things completely unravelled for us. I don’t think it’s a red card (yellow for me) but I don’t feel massively aggrieved as I’d accept that it could be given either way. 60/40 in favour of no red card for me.

It’s definitely not a stonewall sending off and I tend to agree with Carragher about it not being a goalscoring opportunity. If Van Dijk doesn’t make that challenge what happens? He runs alongside him, Isak is going away from goal and there is no clear goalscoring opportunity. 

Isak didn’t get the chance to create a clear goalscoring opportunity and without that challenge I don’t think he’s in on goal. So it isn’t a black and white decision, it’s a subjective call and there’ll be arguments about it. I don’t think it should be a red card but it’s not a hill I’m willing to die on.

Virgil got the ball but he clipped Isak just before he got it. You know what struck me about this? We needed several replays to be sure of what happened, yet eagle eyed Brooks saw it immediately and had no doubt it was a red card. Great eyesight there for someone who couldn’t see that clear shove by Gordon.

Look, it’s a foul (even though it needed a super slo mo from a certain angle to show it) but I just think the punishment does not fit the crime. It’s like a judge giving someone a custodial sentence for speeding just because he can. Most of the time it’s a fine and points, but instead he’s gone with the maximum penalty. It isn’t a wrong decision as he’s entitled to make it, but you’ll never convince me it isn’t harsh.

Nevertheless, what it brings home once again is that Virgil just isn’t who he was anymore. He’d never have made that challenge in his pomp. If you disagree, show me when he did something like that and maybe I’ll reconsider. The only time I ever remember him doing anything reckless was a challenge he made against Napoli when he got a yellow card and it could potentially have been a red.

He might be in trouble for his reaction to the red card too. He didn’t leave the field immediately which is ok because you have to wait for VAR now to confirm the decision. But he spent that time berating the referee. That’s not ok. I’m not going to condemn him for that though because these refs are out of control these days with the game changing bullshit decisions. 

I’m not saying this decision is one of them by the way, but from Virgil’s point of view he might see it that way and besides, this is just one of many contentious calls that have gone against us over a period of time and I just think they’re all getting pissed off with it now.

I know how angry I’m getting with these fucking dickheads spoiling games every week (not just ours, the entire Premier League is a farce thanks to these arrogant clowns) and while the players have a responsibility to behave in a certain way, I completely get how they’d lose it in the heat of the moment. I was annoyed at Virgil at the time, but I”m not now. I don’t think his reaction was based on this one decision, I just reckon all of the players are becoming so pissed off about what’s happening every week that he just exploded.

The other thing to consider here is that Virgil is the captain. That means he’s the one who is allowed to talk to the ref, and anyone who thinks Hendo or Gerrard wouldn’t have been giving Brooks a fucking earful has a short memory. I understand why he reacted like that and I’m fine with it. Imagine if Suarez was still here having to deal with this bullshit. He’d be on a manslaughter charge by now I reckon.

Virgil also yelled at the fourth official “don’t touch me” as he headed down the tunnel. Again, I’m not holding any of that against him, but the FA might and I wouldn’t be shocked if the ban was increased.

I wouldn’t object to it either, just as long as it’s the same for everybody. I won’t hold my breath on that though. Virgil has an impeccable disciplinary record though so that might go in his favour. We’ll see.

Anyway, after that incident I’m even more adamant that Trent needs to go, because we’re down to ten already and he’s one foul away from us being down two players. Incredibly, Klopp left him out there.

Instead he subbed Diaz, which infuriated me even further. He’d been our most dangerous player up to that point and looked really sharp. He’d also scored in both our previous games and he works his arse off so it’s not like he’d be a passenger.

To me the obvious thing to do was sub Trent, put Gomez to right back and drop Endo in alongside Joel. Gakpo could drop into midfield with Macca and Dom, and then leave Diaz and Mo to do the attacking.

Now let me stress that the only reason I’m saying that is because of Trent’s precarious situation. I wouldn’t have subbed him based on his poor performance, I’d let him play through that. This was a no brainer to me though, it was just too big a risk for me to leave him out there, but Klopp did it and it paid off. 

He’ll say it’s the right decision and the fact we won the game and Trent avoided further trouble does vindicate it. I would argue that he got lucky and he should have taken Trent off. Next time it may not go so well.

However, for all the bewilderment I had at his management of the first half, I have to say that Klopp’s handling of the second half, the way he set the team up and the changes he made as the half wore on, it was impeccable. That second half was an absolute masterclass in how to deal with the difficult situation we found ourselves in. I didn’t think we had that in us.

Sure, we had a little bit of luck at the right times. Almiron hit the post and Barnes wasted a great chance when he failed to square it to Wilson for a tap in, but by and large we weren’t really troubled much. The plan will have been to get to 75 minutes without conceding again, and if we hadn’t nicked anything ourselves by that point, then we throw everything at them for the last 15.

And that’s exactly what we did. Apparently Allison made more saves in this game than he has in any other since he arrived here. That shocked me as I can only remember him having to make one proper save (a stunning effort to tip Almiron’s first half rocket onto the bar). The rest must have all been routine as I can’t recall any of them. That save from Almiron was a game changer though because if it had gone to 2-0 we weren’t coming back from that and it may have gotten a whole lot worse.

The first spark of attacking threat we posed came after Jota had been introduced. He was really lively and made a big difference. We’d been focusing solely on keeping it at 1-0 and we’d barely been near the Newcastle goal, but suddenly Jota gave us a bit of thrust and energy. He played Mo in for a chance but Botman got over well to block just as Mo was pulling the trigger. That little moment of danger set nerves jangling around St James’ and showed that we weren’t out of it.

Then Darwin was unleashed on them. Almost immediately he nearly went through onto a great ball by Elliott. Neville kept going on about what a bad touch it was but it really wasn’t. Had he taken that ball out of the sky and knocked it into his own stride to set up a shot, we’d have all been saying what an incredible touch it was. He didn’t produce an incredible touch but that’s because it was really difficult.

His touch allowed the defenders to get back and clear the danger, but that little moment again caused ripples around St James. Newcastle should have gone right up the other end and scored but Barnes made a mess of it and the rest is history.

A couple of minutes later Trent threaded a ball up to Mo, he knocked it round the corner for Jota and he tried to release Darwin. Botman looked to have it under control but it bounced off him and Nunez pounced, taking one touch to set himself before smashing it it across goal in off the far post.

Stunning finish, absolutely emphatic. The celebration matched it. Proper South American emotions and a quality knee slide. Love it.

When that went in it changed everything. The entire game had been a miserable experience up to that point but now we had all of the momentum and if anyone was going to win it was going to be us. I wasn’t worried at all about Newcastle scoring. They were done. The only question was whether we had enough in us to go and get the winner.

Clearly we did, because Darwin, Jota and Mo had the bit between their teeth. Jota missed a glorious chance to win when he fed Darwin and then missed his kick when the return pass came his way. That was fucking brilliant by Nunez and it’s probably been forgotten about in all the buzz about the two goals.

I thought that might have been our last chance, but Darwin had other ideas. Guimares was pressured in midfield and hit a pass straight at Harvey. The ball fell to Mo and Darwin immediately set off. The pass was perfect and the movement of Nunez matched it. Look at how he bends his run so when he meets the ball he can shoot straight away. The pass by Mo was spoken brilliantly placed and weighted but the run is great too. As was the finish.

Wow. Two absolutely stunning finishes from a player who has missed a lot of those kind of chances. I read something a while back from Neil Jones about how the coaches have got Darwin working on converting those exact type of chances (because he gets them a lot) and you could see here the conviction and the technique. Those two finishes reminded me of how Suarez would finish in those situations. 

I’m not a big celebrater when I’m watching on the telly these days. I went nuts on both of these goals though, partly because it’s Darwin but mostly because we’d somehow won a game that I’d given up on. What a feeling it was when that second went in. Imagine being in that away end. Spine chilling.

I’m buzzing for my boy as he needed this. He’s pissed off that he can’t get in the team and so he should be. He was our best forward in pre-season and the reason he isn’t being picked isn’t even specifically about him. Klopp doesn’t trust that the team is solid enough to be able to fully integrate Nunez into it, so he’s going with the more savvy, defensively aware forwards like Jota and Gakpo.

I understand it to some extent but there comes a point when you’ve got to let the peacock fly. How can you not start Nunez next week?

I’m fed up of hearing about what Darwin can’t do. Not enough is made of what he can do. I don’t think there is anyone else at the club who could have done what he did. Maybe Mo, he’s done it before, but would you have backed him to score from the positions Nunez was in? He’d have cut back inside and then it’s in the lap of the gods.

Nobody else we have makes that run or finishes like that. They don’t have the physical tools to do that. Darwin is different, he brings things to the table others can’t. There are also things they do that he can’t of course, I know he isn’t perfect.

The point is we would have lost this game if we didn’t have Nunez to call on. I keep seeing people say he can only play if the opponents are defending high and he has room to run into, but I don’t buy that. He’s a chance magnet regardless of how the opponents are playing. Things happen when he’s on the pitch and while his finishing has been erratic to say the least, he gets chances like nobody else in the league, not even Haaland. The stats will back that up.

There’s something there with him. Something potentially great. You only have to listen to what other strikers say about him. Wright, Shearer and Owen have all praised his brilliant movement and they all said he’ll come good when he calms down a little with his finishing. 

Even Neville said he’d hate to play against him. There’s something in that. When the opposition defenders see the team sheet and he’s not on it, I bet they’re relieved. Not because Jota or Gakpo aren’t top players, but no-one is going to be scared of them. They are scared of Nunez because of the raw pace and directness he has. He struck absolute fear into Botman and Burn on that left side of their defence. 

His movement really is great. Look at him on both goals, he’s running in areas where defenders don’t want to have to deal with him. He also made that chance for Jota with a great run too.

Mo has always been on the same wavelength as him and they’ve created plenty of chances for each other, but with Macca and Dom there now too, when Klopp eventually decides the team is solid enough to be able to unleash Nunez from the start in every game, he’s going to score shitloads. 

Hopefully this game is a watershed moment for him. It silences his critics for a while if nothing else, but it could be the catalyst for him to do what he’s done at previous clubs. Underwhelming first season and then BOOM, he explodes. 

I don’t know what this win will mean in the long term, but in the short term it’s put smiles on the fans faces and the impact it will have on the team could be massive. This is pretty much a new team. An entirely new midfield and other than Mo the forwards are relatively new as well.

Teams grow together and games like this really quicken up the process. You go through adversity together and it builds character and team spirit. This is a massive result for all of the new lads and should give everyone confidence. 

I don’t think we really know what this team is yet or what they will be capable of. We can see there are flaws and we all want a couple of signings to help us maintain a challenge, but it’s way too soon to be able to get a proper handle on who we are. 

At this moment I have no idea what to expect from us, but seven points from nine considering the fixtures we’ve had is a promising start. We’re building the plane while it’s in the air so to come through away games at Chelsea and Newcastle with four points is a nice little return.

Villa are next and that won’t be easy, but if we can win that then we’re in great shape going into the international break.

Nunez is the star man but I’d also give a huge shout to Gomez who stepped in and performed superbly. Alisson as well, as you’d expect. Jota and Harvey made a difference when they came on, while young Quansah acquitted himself well on his debut. Finally, Mo deserves a mention for the great shift he put in as well as creating the winner with a sublime pass.

What a fucking result against the odds! This one will live in the memory for a long time.

Team: Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip (Quansah), Van Dijk, Robertson; Endo (Elliott), Szoboslai, Mac Allister (Nunez); Salah, Gakpo (Jota), Diaz (Gomez): 

View full article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 29

• dave u pinned this topic

Before Nunes came on I was thinking his time here was up although I too think he's got so much to offer. Gapko is a "nice" footballer but just doesn't excite me.

Not sure on the taking Trent off thing. My feeling was Gordon is such a Tom Daley the man coming on could get a quick yellow and we're back to square one.

My missus said the Turkish neighbours stopped talking mid sentence after my winning "get in" celebration. Always good to let the Turks know what a Liver bird on the chest does.

• Upvote 1

Trent is beginning to remind me of Dele Ali. Great start to his career before disintegrating badly. It’s not enough to chuck in a worldy pass every couple of games. 

You’re better than that, Trent lad, focus a bit more. 

If he’d been subbed after the push Newcastle wouldn’t have scored all afternoon. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

Trent is beginning to remind me of Dele Ali. Great start to his career before disintegrating badly. It’s not enough to chuck in a worldy pass every couple of games. 

If he’d been subbed after the push Newcastle wouldn’t have scored all afternoon. 

Dele Alli??? Behave. 

• Upvote 5

Couple of points from me Dave. Firstly, on the refereeing thing, I agree with everything you’ve said about the way we are being targeted and how understandable it is that our players and manager react in that way. 

However, going back over time I just don’t think we’ve been smart in the way we’ve handled referees at all. We should’ve been having a constant dialogue going on in the background with the people in charge of the referees (and I know they have changed) where we constantly point out how we are top of the fair play league every single season and how Mo is continually fouled without protection. This entire conversation could be taken out of the hands of Klopp and given to the sporting director or Billy Hogan, or whoever.

But we need to have a “drip, drip, drip” message in the ear of the refereeing chiefs which basically reminds them  that we are actually the good guys most of the time, but are not being treated as such. You might argue that such an approach is naive, but I would simply ask whether ranting and raving on the pitch and getting in referees’ faces is helping us or making things worse.

And as for my second point, I’ve now forgotten what it was! 52…

• Upvote 5

For the entire 2nd half, we had 38% possession. This, however, is skewed as from the 45th to the 60th minute, we had only 20% possession. 
The game changed on the introduction of Jota and Elliott. From the 60th to the 95th minute, we had 46% possession. The outstanding stat of the game for me, though, was that from the time that those two were introduced, to Darwin's first goal in the 80th minute, we had 55% possession. We had more of the ball, had the better chances, and were the team that looked like scoring. It was not  smash and grab at all. As you say @dave u we Ali'd them. We took their punches, and then when they were punched out, we hit them with energy and aggression and no small bit of class for a prolonged period. The 2nd half and especially the last 35-minute period, was perfect game management with 10 men. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barnesey said:

that’s criminally wrong

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Couple of points from me Dave. Firstly, on the refereeing thing, I agree with everything you’ve said about the way we are being targeted and how understandable it is that our players and manager react in that way. 

However, going back over time I just don’t think we’ve been smart in the way we’ve handled referees at all. We should’ve been having a constant dialogue going on in the background with the people in charge of the referees (and I know they have changed) where we constantly point out how we are top of the fair play league every single season and how Mo is continually fouled without protection. This entire conversation could be taken out of the hands of Klopp and given to the sporting director or Billy Hogan, or whoever.

But we need to have a “drip, drip, drip” message in the ear of the refereeing chiefs which basically reminds them  that we are actually the good guys most of the time, but are not being treated as such. You might argue that such an approach is naive, but I would simply ask whether ranting and raving on the pitch and getting in referees’ faces is helping us or making things worse.

And as for my second point, I’ve now forgotten what it was! 52…

Oh I agree with that completely. Two quick points in response.

First, I'm just pointing out what is happening and why its happening. We could have done more to prevent this situation developing and now we're paying the price for it. I just think the ranting and raving we're seeing now is a natural human response to perceived injustice. 

Second.... yeah it's gone. 50!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

I saw an article today where Nunes credits Bielsa with his positioning for those goals . Apparently they ran through a few of his videos and Bielsa told how to move into certain ateas to confuse CB’s. Bielsa is in charge at Uruguay.

Saw someone reference it on twiiter (LFCZA account, one of the best follows I think), would like to see more of that interview if you have a link to it?

That's the thing I mentioned in the report where Gordon kicked the ball away from Trent as he was going to take a free-kick. Darwin got booked later in the game for doing the same thing. Nothing for Gordon though, even though the ref is looking right at it. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic