You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Wolves 0 (Mar 1 2023)

tlw content

matchreportheader.jpg

Made up with this. Not because it was brilliant or anything, but it was what we needed and it keeps the improved run of results going. 10 points from 12 has taken us from the depths of 9th to the dizzy heights of 6th. We’re on the coat-tails of Spurs in fourth now, and if you speak to their fans they’ve got absolutely no confidence in their team at all. It’s there for us, we just need to go out and take it now.

Performances like this will be enough to win most games but it won’t be enough for Sunday. We need to be better than this, but this was a good tune up and gave us plenty of positive things to take into the weekend. First and foremost it’s the points, but performance wise there was a lot to like. Nobody played badly, which isn’t something we’ve been able to say often this season.

It wasn’t perfect by any means. The first half was largely frustrating because we didn’t score and a lot of it was a bit one paced and easy to defend. In flashes though it was really good. Any time we upped the tempo we caused them problems and we were just a little bit off with the final ball or shot.

We did have some really good situations though. Off the top of my head I can remember several:

Kostas got in around the back but couldn’t pick anyone out in the middle. Bajcetic shot straight at the keeper after a nice, direct move involving Harvey and Mo. That right side put together some lovely combinations. It didn’t always lead to anything but it was good seeing the fluidity and confidence in how they linked up.

Fabinho almost created a goal for Darwin after brilliantly winning the ball in the Wolves box but just slightly under-hitting the pass and allowing a defender to intercept. That was vintage Fabinho that though, and he took another significant step forward in this game. He’s been good these last few games (not so much his cameo at Palace, but when he’s started) and this was probably his best performance of the season.

Jota tried and failed to emulate the Nunez goal from last week when he attempted the Usher finish from a Salah cross and Harvey had two decent chances he didn’t take.

The first was a header he put wide and he really has to do better there. However, there was a lot to like about that situation. Firstly, it starts with Fabinho sliding in with his Inspector Gadget legs to win the ball and set us on the attack. We’ve not had that all season, so that’s encouraging.

Then Jota drives forward and releases Darwin on his outside. I think he overhits the pass but Darwin is so fast it didn’t matter and he was able to dig out the cross. I also love that Elliott was in there though, and he did that all night. His energy to get box to box was really eye catching and he deserved a goal.

The second chance he had he brought a good low save from the keeper. He said afterwards he should have done better with it, but that was a decent effort. He struck it into the ground so maybe he feels he could have hit it more cleanly. I like that the standards he sets for himself are high though.

That was another good move that started with us winning it in midfield (from the Wolves Nunes, who once again massively underwhelmed and lost the ball a lot) and the chest lay off from Darwin to Harvey was fucking ace. Would have been a lovely goal, but you can file it away with another chance created by Nunez. Massively under-rated part of his game that, he creates a shitload of opportunities for others.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

How was Nunes for Wolves please?

Had one really good run when he went past about six of our players while somehow maintaining his balance.

Other than that, gave the ball away a lot.

It's really hard to judge him playing in that team though as he'd be expedted to do completely different things if we signed him. Like Gini at Newcastle was nothing like Gini here. Didn't even play in the same position, let alone the same style.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bigal said:

The Usher finish, hm.

That VAR decision was robbery, no way that should have been reviewed but they can't resist, slow it down and make it look sinister when it was just a football incident. They hate us.

Over the course of my lifetime I reckon I've scored 100 of those flicked finishes, easily. Might be double that really but I didn't keep count as it was like counting how many breaths you take in a day. You take it for granted and don't think about it.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, dave u said:

Over the course of my lifetime I reckon I've scored 100 of those flicked finishes, easily. Might be double that really but I didn't keep count as it was like counting how many breaths you take in a day. You take it for granted and don't think about it.

1. How many of them while you were actually playing in a match?

2. How many while you were actually awake?

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, dave u said:

Oh the joys of Playstation controllers.

Dave BellU said:

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I can't fucking count.

About the dropping this game into the seasons when we were getting 90+ points; I've a better idea - how about dropping a few of those performances into this season?

P.S. I'm not calling DaveU a bell, just innumerate.

Excellent report as per usual Dave. Tierney has a smug arrogant manner about him. Klopp really has no time for him. He(& all refs) should be obliged to go on tv after & summarise their decisions. See how big his ego and how smug he is then. 

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

Best game of the season for Virgil and Fabinho.

I must have forgotten Diego Costa signing for Wolves.

From the look on his face, I think Diego Costa forgot Diego Costa signed for Wolves.

13 hours ago, dave u said:

You can’t buy this. 

I thought it was a clear foul for Darwin's goal to be honest. Jota clearly kicks Kilman's leg, making him fall over about 2 yards away from the ball that he'd have been able to clear before Darwin got to it. Agree Tierney is a tit, but that was never going to stand.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tarwater said:

I am still irrationally upset by Fabinho’s yellow. Tierney should really not be allowed to ref our games, as there is clearly bad blood between him and Klopp. («I don’t have a problem with refs, only you»).

It’s entirely rational! Tierney and Taylor allow really bad challenges on our boys to go unpunished on a regular basis. The Dawson challenge on Jota where he got thd ball, but wiped out Diogo on the follow though - a booking any other time. Trippier’s wild lunge on Darwin 2 weeks ago - they got the free kick! (Taylor). Bernard the Rat’s judo throw on Mo this season (Taylor). Tierney’s shocking performance at Spurs last season. There’s a pattern here that needs to be highlighted by the club. 
Not to mention Kompany’s wild assault on Mo in THAT game - clear red all day long - Taylor, again.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic