You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

A DM and possibly a centre half will surely be joining before the end of the transfer window.

I just can't see how it won't happen - it would be fucking madness if it didn't.

Oh and if it does not then FSG should IMHO sell up as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

A DM and possibly a centre half will surely be joining before the end of the transfer window.

I just can't see how it won't happen - it would be fucking madness if it didn't.

The same madness that had us get Arthur in on a free to “help” our midfield or when we did the same thing a couple of years ago getting a shite CB on loan when we had to play Fabiano & Hendo as CB’s.

Our owners have a track record of being making mad decisions in the transfer window.

pricking around over a couple of million for Lavia if it’s a player Klopp wants & not giving him the opportunity to get him in for preseason is a fucking madness 

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think there could be some truth that they're looking to jump ship. That'd explain why they'd rather invest in the stadium than buy actual players, because it's a permanent assett that will put the price up.

If it's true that Schmake or Shmank or whatever his name is is on a temp deal then that says it all.

I wish FSG would shit or get off the pot.

I still  blame Parry for all this. Moores was a good red but no genius, he relied on Parry to be his eyes and ears. "You don't just sell the family silver". G&H then these lot land the club cheaply without ever wanting or having a plan for the club.

Klopp's genius has steered us this far while they rake it in with Lebron James underpants and the rest of it.

We need owners who WANT and have a longterm PLAN for the club.

The issue was clear when we sold Fabinho and that it was obvious that it was unplanned. Having to react in a market that is distorted by Saudi, and with limited options at the 6 position was always going to be problematic.

We have never as a club, especially under Klopp, reacted in the transfer market. It's always supposed long term thinking, only signing the players and profiles we want. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Oh and if it does not then FSG should IMHO sell up as soon as possible.

In 2020 when we had absolutely no centre backs, that's what everyone thought. How can we not? And it actually took Henderson to break down having been played at centre half for us to get some lad who was worse than the kid centre halves we had at the club and he never got a game and a loan from Germany for a lad who was cheap but shite, all of it funded from Gomez's England insurance policy! I'm genuinely amazed how much faith you put in them. 

25 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We’re gonna be miles away from challenging next season if we go with what we’ve got. 

If we were getting beat in any game last season then we were staying beat and nothing I’ve seen this summer has changed my mind for this coming season.

We can’t go into next season with the same players struggling to play klopps suicidal tactics and he’s got to demand more money now to address what he wants instead of meekly accepting it is what it is if he wants us back at the top table again.    

We’re gonna look back at his reign as a wasted opportunity if we don’t act now. If we’re still refusing to pay soton £50m for this bum then move on and get someone else in or fucking pay it if he’s what you want.  

I fear the moment has already passed.

We had our chance to win some more big ones and cement our place at the top (as much as that is possible these days), FSG wasted it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The issue was clear when we sold Fabinho and that it was obvious that it was unplanned. Having to react in a market that is distorted by Saudi, and with limited options at the 6 position was always going to be problematic.

We have never as a club, especially under Klopp, reacted in the transfer market. It's always supposed long term thinking, only signing the players and profiles we want. 

Just seem to be frozen in the headlights after that, yeah. Both Fluminese and Southampton have been clear of their position and yet it's taking weeks to get offers, seemingly, signed off.

Still don't think it's cashflow that's the issue. We clearly have funding, the process seems fucked. Whether that's because we are having to seek a nod from across the Atlantic for every move, or the analyst team set ranges that we're refusing to flex, or just too many disparate parts where there was once a cohesive system under Edwards... Something's fucked, because we have to get a move on and it doesn't seem to be happening.

Two weeks ago there seemed to be some movement and sounds coming from usually reliable sources around the negotiations, recently there's been nothing. Outside of an imminent left-field move, there's no excuse for it. 

We can use the oil cheat shout as much as we want to make ourselves feel better but look at them not fucking around in getting rid of decent players for decent money while they can while we still keep our shite right to the end of their contracts leaving us further short in only being able to spend what we bring in

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

In 2020 when we had absolutely no centre backs, that's what everyone thought. How can we not? And it actually took Henderson to break down having been played at centre half for us to get some lad who was worse than the kid centre halves we had at the club and he never got a game and a loan from Germany for a lad who was cheap but shite, all of it funded from Gomez's England insurance policy! I'm genuinely amazed how much faith you put in them. 

That one and last season with Arthur. Neither were excusable. Beyond that the club has cost itself millions through stupidity (the fallows "hack" and the extra £25m for Virgil), which just underpins why it doesn't make sense that we're inflexible when it comes to sealing an actual deal.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Still don't think it's cashflow that's the issue. We clearly have funding, the process seems fucked. Whether that's because we are having to seek a nod from across the Atlantic for every move, or the analyst team set ranges that we're refusing to flex, or just too many disparate parts where there was once a cohesive system under Edwards... Something's fucked, because we have to get a move on and it doesn't seem to be happening.

That's far from clear.  In fact it's probably the most opaque, debated aspect of our transfer dealings.

38 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Negged for not naming names and livening this thread up.

Fuck all transfer activity going on, we could at least get a good old internet bitch fight going.

Well look at the two posts which my post follows, and see if you can work out some of them Columbo.

AWS just negged me so you can add him to the list.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Just seem to be frozen in the headlights after that, yeah. Both Fluminese and Southampton have been clear of their position and yet it's taking weeks to get offers, seemingly, signed off.

Two weeks ago there seemed to be some movement and sounds coming from usually reliable sources around the negotiations, recently there's been nothing. Outside of an imminent left-field move, there's no excuse for it. 

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

That one and last season with Arthur. Neither were excusable. Beyond that the club has cost itself millions through stupidity (the fallows "hack" and the extra £25m for Virgil), which just underpins why it doesn't make sense that we're inflexible when it comes to sealing an actual deal.

The Arthur example of last summer is pretty much the same problem as this summer.

We didn't diagnose a potential Fabinho departure like we didn't diagnose a problem with midfield quality last summer, until it was too late. And then we don't adapt well enough because we are stuck in the thought we can only recruit very specific options.

Just now, Moo said:

That's far from clear.  In fact it's probably the most opaque, debated aspect of our transfer dealings.

How much may be up for debate but we have been making bids throughout, there is and has been money available. The timing between bids and the lack of urgency considering how short we are, is much less clear.

12 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

I’m sorry if I sound sarcastic but believe me there are more than 400 million people in the Middle East, and they are much more emotionally invested in football and their clubs and rivalries than anywhere else in the world. 

You don’t sound sarcastic. 

You sound like a complete bellend chatting total horseshit. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Each of our last three major signings have been a reaction.

Assuming, you're talking about Gakpo and Diaz in there, they were reactions to specific players we were following being courted by other clubs. They weren't responses to issues we had. 

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah. We could quite easily have absorbed Henderson’s loss, but Fabinho is a different situation. It’s an inconvenient truth for some that he was getting back into good form towards the end of last season too.

The ‘we couldn’t turn down £40m’ argument is downgraded a bit by inflation in replacement prices due to all this new money. 

Personally, I’m not even that arsed any more. Maybe I’ll get a bit more enthusiastic as winter draws in, but the money and sportswashing stuff is beyond grim.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

How much may be up for debate but we have been making bids throughout, there is and has been money available. The timing between bids and the lack of urgency considering how short we are, is much less clear.

The "how much" is absolutely crucial to whether cashflow is an issue. If we only have, say £45m, for a new fist choice DM and high quality CB then cashflow is absolutely an issue.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, that is obviously not what I'm saying. I am describing different situations.

Ah, in one we were proactive in the other blindsided. That makes sense.

Just not sure how we would have pre diagnosed it or why it would be similar to an analysis of the teams past performances.

We didn't diagnose a potential Fabinho departure like we didn't diagnose a problem with midfield quality last summer, until it was too late.