You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

I like Mount. I do think he is a very good player. However, Mount is the kind of signing that consolidates a club being top 4, rather than scares the shite out of City. Players like Mac Callister and Caicedo are the kind of players I see being in sides that go toe to toe with City (if not signed by them) in the coming years. That is the difference. Brighton have more than a few I really like. Again, you could picture lads like Ferguson being in really top and successful sides in the future. Mount is a type of English player that has the stench of quarter final at a world cup/3rd in the league about him. Wins 70 caps and gets a gig on Sky. Give me a street tough kid like Caicedo anyday of the week. 

If we have Macca signed, that is a brilliant bit of business. Potentially world class player - he's already won the biggest trophy in football and being exposed to gigantic pressure playing for Argentina. He's got character. I like the idea of South Americans here. They're generally good lads who live for the game. You would always worry their ultimate dream is to play for Real, but that's a risk with all players.

Can't say I've see the lad at Sporting and some of the other lads mentioned in the European leagues, but very confident that they could be big players here.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The fuck???

Early days at Barcelona he used to play as an attacking mid/false 9 sometimes, and for an entire* World Cup with Spain if I remember correctly?

*don't think they went deep into the tournament.

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Early days at Barcelona he used to play as an attacking mid/false 9 sometimes, and for an entire* World Cup with Spain if I remember correctly?

*don't think they went deep into the tournament.

No idea. 

I read it as he played that here. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I like Mount. I do think he is a very good player. However, Mount is the kind of signing that consolidates a club being top 4, rather than scares the shite out of City. Players like Mac Callister and Caicedo are the kind of players I see being in sides that go toe to toe with City (if not signed by them) in the coming years. That is the difference. Brighton have more than a few I really like. Again, you could picture lads like Ferguson being in really top and successful sides in the future. Mount is a type of English player that has the stench of quarter final at a world cup/3rd in the league about him. Wins 70 caps and gets a gig on Sky. Give me a street tough kid like Caicedo anyday of the week. 

If we have Macca signed, that is a brilliant bit of business. Potentially world class player - he's already won the biggest trophy in football and being exposed to gigantic pressure playing for Argentina. He's got character. I like the idea of South Americans here. They're generally good lads who live for the game. You would always worry their ultimate dream is to play for Real, but that's a risk with all players.

Agree.

If Ali Mac does get to a level that Madrid want him then that means he'll have overtaken Valverde, Camavinga and Bellingham so he'll be some player!

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

We need to hack Brighton and Dortmund and find out who they’re lining up to replace Mac Allister, Caicedo and Bellingham and gazump them.

They sign players who arent prem proven but look to have a very high ceiling. I dont get the point in signing premier players who have proved they are a decent enough option but at a premier league premium price. Take Connor Gallagher you can't tell me we haven't got scouts good enough to mean he isn't on any list because you can get more for less elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They sign players who arent prem proven but look to have a very high ceiling. I dont get the point in signing premier players who have proved they are a decent enough option but at a premier league premium price. Take Connor Gallagher you can't tell me we haven't got scouts good enough to mean he isn't on any list because you can get more for less elsewhere.

Yeah, I was conscious of that when making my tongue in cheek post. However Brighton’s recruitment has been so good lately that these young relatively-unknowns are making an immediate impression…. eg Caicedo, Encisco, Ferguson etc. Slightly different model to ours, but stupendously successful right now

16 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's no guarantee it will curtail his club career imo. He will be measuring himself with Ronaldo and Messi who never stopped being stars for club and country. Obviously I'll be happy if he fucks off international football because he'll likely be better for us, but I honestly don't see it as a thing. However, someone like Henderson who's a fringe player and likely to become nothing more than a cheerleader for England, should be fucking it right off. 

In the past 15 years only Vardy and Defoe aged 31 plus have scored more than 15  Premier League goals back to back. Salah will be 31 when the season starts. One was a late late bloomer the other Defoe was out of favour with England and not playing European football with Sunderland. 

Not sure playing in England v Spain is a fair comparison for older attacking players. Maybe getting a rest next season in Europe might give him a breather. He's going to do what he's going to do but a fella who has a hyperbaric chamber in his house seems the sort to look for any small gain. 

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

In the past 15 years only Vardy and Defoe aged 31 plus have scored more than 15  Premier League goals back to back. Salah will be 31 when the season starts. One was a late late bloomer the other Defoe was out of favour with England and not playing European football with Sunderland. 

Not sure playing in England v Spain is a fair comparison for older attacking players. Maybe getting a rest next season in Europe might give him a breather. He's going to do what he's going to do but a fella who has a hyperbaric chamber in his house seems the sort to look for any small gain. 

So I sort of agree with you. But I don't think he will see dropping Egypt as part of those marginal gains, despite the fact they will likely bring them. He will do everything he can to do both. I would love him to give up on international football, but as I posted earlier, I think that's much easier when you don't carry the weight of a nation on your shoulders. 

• Upvote 2