You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8th.

Captain Turdseye

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd rather be in the conference than the Europa conference league 

Give Klopp time!

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

4th or 5th and win the champions League. It's happening. 

People on here are backing this Liverpool team to beat the likes of Real Madrid, Napoli, Man City etc to the Champions League?

I'd be concentrating on staying in the Premier League first!

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

United, I don't think can be caught. They aren't great, but they're solid tactically and they have some quality. They'd have to really fall apart. And the thing with Newcastle is they just don't concede goals. They have a part of the equation figured out. Spurs are shite but they have quality, plus a manager with pedigree. Chelsea are kind of where we are, they're irrelevant until they can put a run together.

There is a way we could do it, which is that we keep the slightly better defensive dynamic we've found in the last two games and then Jota and Diaz come back to give us the bit extra up front. Gakpo breaking out wouldn't go amiss either. But will all that happen perfectly, probably not. And the January transfer market, I would forget that. 

Sort of agree about the being more solid/compact thing - we have seen it in last couple of games post the debacle at Brighton - but so far that slightly better solidity has come at cost of being toothless - as you say maybe returning attackers can help - maybe. 

I feel Nunez is our attacking key though - for me we are more dangerous when he plays and when he is at it, we need that danger to convert more though from him and the people he creates for....Wasn't it Nunez who pulled ball back from byline in a good piece of work to present Trent with a chance he blazed over on Saturday - a chance that he should have IMO taken a touch and slotted away no messing - and likely would have before this current shitshow of a season so far!

18 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Brighton had more players in the Spanish squad than Real Madrid in the Euros. They now have a World Cup winner in the middle, the highly coveted £60m/£70m Caicedo beside him, and a wonderkid up front in Ferguson. They're a world class outfit hiding in plain sight. 

Seriously though, we've been even worse against poorer sides like Forest and Leeds and Wolves in that awful first game. 

I wouldn't agree with this at all,they are Brighton FFS. Like a few smaller teams their scouting department have hit gold for once and have some superb players in their team but their strength is their youth and energy,a lot like Arsenal to be fair. Liverpool have both been run into the ground and have allowed a team to age and drop in quality due to revelling in their own success and smelling our own farts. We haven't strengthened the right areas at the right times. I mean Keita and OC are seeing out their contracts and have barely played while we've sold useful fringe players like Taki and Origi. We've not been helped by FSG's sale announcement either as this has thrown a right spanner in the works too. We've bought well for the future but not so well for what we needed now.

Our schedule at the moment is pretty light compared to previous years. We only play once a week until Real Madrid.

I’d hope that with more training ground time, we should see some improvements. After we wasted the time in Dubai, I’m not so confident. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wouldn't agree with this at all,they are Brighton FFS. Like a few smaller teams their scouting department have hit gold for once and have some superb players in their team but their strength is their youth and energy,a lot like Arsenal to be fair. Liverpool have both been run into the ground and have allowed a team to age and drop in quality due to revelling in their own success and smelling our own farts. We haven't strengthened the right areas at the right times. I mean Keita and OC are seeing out their contracts and have barely played while we've sold useful fringe players like Taki and Origi. We've not been helped by FSG's sale announcement either as this has thrown a right spanner in the works too. We've bought well for the future but not so well for what we needed now.

I wasn't being completely serious about them being a world class outfit. Maybe I should use more emojis. Still a better side than most in the top flight, though. 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's no way we should try to be in Europe if it's not the Champions League. People forget that we've played the most amount of football out of almost any club in the world in the past few seasons, and there is no doubt this has affected where we are now. Just look at Chelsea, and West Ham, and Leicester, where they are this season. West Ham and Leicester went deep in Europe and are now both terrible. Chelsea, like us, have played a million games in the past couple seasons. They're terrible.

If we're not in the Champions League, we need a break to reload. It's not even debatable. Winning the Europa League or God forbid, the conference league is simply small potatoes compared to the potential long term recuperation benefits of playing without Europe for one year.

The way the sport is going, if you're not fighting at the highest level, the matches are so intense across the board, you're far better off not playing as many of them at all and licking your wounds.

Regression to the mean. West Ham and Leicester had a couple of seasons punching above their weight, then returned to their level.

What do you propose for this "not aiming for Europe"? Are we going to start throwing games, once fourth place is out of reach (which it really isn't yet)? If so, will the club let the fans know which games they're not going to try to win, because I've got better things to do with my time and money.

Marcus Rashford made an interesting comment before the City game, he said Ten Haag had brought the winning mentality back. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ole was a fucking loser. I said the day he threw the Leicester game that he was finished as a top flight manager, you can't ever accept losing at big clubs. How many people think the Madrid fiasco was the day it started to end for Rodgers? 

Now we have our supporters suggesting we actively look to lose regularly. Fuck that shit and then fuck it again. If its the conference league it's the conference league. Its only embarrassing if you choose for it to be. Fuck what anyone else thinks. There will be positives, we will play and beat minnows with our kids, we will find out names of multiple teams we've never heard off and go to places with gargle for less than a pound, entry to home matches will be cheap as chips and  we could get to win a trophy without breaking sweat.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

That will assume regression to the mean, but when not all of your issues are just form/confidence (temporary) it seem unlikely unless action is taken.

There's a lot of data goes into modelling those forecasts. It would be interesting to see their forecasts from previous seasons compared to the actual outcomes.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/methodology/how-our-club-soccer-predictions-work/ 

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Marcus Rashford made an interesting comment before the City game, he said Ten Haag had brought the winning mentality back. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ole was a fucking loser. I said the day he threw the Leicester game that he was finished as a top flight manager, you can't ever accept losing at big clubs. How many people think the Madrid fiasco was the day it started to end for Rodgers? 

Now we have our supporters suggesting we actively look to lose regularly. Fuck that shit and then fuck it again. If its the conference league it's the conference league. Its only embarrassing if you choose for it to be. Fuck what anyone else thinks. There will be positives, we will play and beat minnows with our kids, we will find out names of multiple teams we've never heard off and go to places with gargle for less than a pound, entry to home matches will be cheap as chips and  we could get to win a trophy without breaking sweat.

I personally think that our gang of 30 year olds who have already won trophies and know what it takes to do that, would benefit more from a season where they only have to play once a week.

Rashford and those United players were losers, literally, the majority of them have never won a major trophy. It depends where your squad is in its cycle. The Europa and Conference Leagues are not bad for certain teams .We are not one of those teams. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I personally think that our gang of 30 year olds who have already won trophies and know what it takes to do that, would benefit more from a season where they only have to play once a week.

Rashford and those United players were losers, literally, the majority of them have never won a major trophy. It depends where your squad is in its cycle. The Europa and Conference Leagues are not bad for certain teams .We are not one of those teams. 

See Stacksy this is why you will never understand. Real Madrid score twice in a minute to beat City because they have a hundred years of winning in their DNA. We beat Barcelona 4 nil because we're not losers. Accept losing as much as a 5 aside in training and you're fucked. 

It's not statistics or formations or squad cycles. It's why Spurs are Spurs and Liverpool are Liverpool. 

Imagine sitting down with Thiago, son of a world cup winner and bulging trophy cabinet of his own and saying listen son we're going to lose on purpose to make life easier for you next season. How long before the transfer request arrives in from the agent? I go with 3 minutes, the first 2 where him convincing himself the conversation actually happened. Maybe if Jurgen tells him Stacksy thinks it Will benefit him he may be convinced to stay.

42 minutes ago, No2 said:

See Stacksy this is why you will never understand. Real Madrid score twice in a minute to beat City because they have a hundred years of winning in their DNA. We beat Barcelona 4 nil because we're not losers. Accept losing as much as a 5 aside in training and you're fucked. 

It's not statistics or formations or squad cycles. It's why Spurs are Spurs and Liverpool are Liverpool. 

Imagine sitting down with Thiago, son of a world cup winner and bulging trophy cabinet of his own and saying listen son we're going to lose on purpose to make life easier for you next season. How long before the transfer request arrives in from the agent? I go with 3 minutes, the first 2 where him convincing himself the conversation actually happened. Maybe if Jurgen tells him Stacksy thinks it Will benefit him he may be convinced to stay.

That's all intangible, immeasurable stuff. "Winning mentality" is easy to say and impossible to quantify. And it's not even eye test, it's basically just an abstract concept. It's like confidence or momentum. 

What would likely be measurable, would be the positive impact of not playing a season consisting of about 60 games once in a while. Do you think Klopp constantly whines about the amount of football we have to play just for the sake of it? 

Speaking of Thiago, playing less games would do him a world of good. When he was winning stuff at Bayern, he was doing it playing 25 league matches per season and showing up for the big Champions League games, he wasn't constantly slumming 60 games a year. 

• Downvote 1

That's all intangible, immeasurable stuff. "Winning mentality" is easy to say and impossible to quantify. And it's not even eye test, it's basically just an abstract concept. It's like confidence or momentum. 

What would likely be measurable, would be the positive impact of not playing a season consisting of about 60 games once in a while. Do you think Klopp constantly whines about the amount of football we have to play just for the sake of it? 

Speaking of Thiago, playing less games would do him a world of good. When he was winning stuff at Bayern, he was doing it playing 25 league matches per season and showing up for the big Champions League games, he wasn't constantly slumming 60 games a year. 

24 and 25 just so happens to be exactly how many league games Thiago has managed in his 2 full seasons with us to date...and minutes wise it is less than half of the minutes we played.

If only we could get 60 games a season out of Thiago...

I appreciate you have a rep and and a hipster image to maintain here, lad - but you are trying a touch too hard since your big return...like our forwards you are forcing it, snatching at chances - relax and it will come naturally.

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

24 and 25 just so happens to be exactly how many league games Thiago has managed in his 2 full seasons with us to date...and minutes wise it is less than half of the minutes we played.

If only we could get 60 games a season out of Thiago...

I appreciate you have a rep and and a hipster image to maintain here, lad - but you are trying a touch too hard since your big return...

I'm not doing anything. This is my opinion. 

I gave a list of teams who have badly regressed due to the number of matches they've played in recent seasons and said it would therefore likely benefit us to play fewer games next season if we can't make top 4. None of this is especially controversial. Playing less games equals rest. Having old squad equals maybe needs some rest.

The counter arguments to that have been "winning mentality" and "regression to the mean". I happen to think I have a better argument than those things, it's not a shtick. You'll just have to accept that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not doing anything. This is my opinion. 

I gave a list of teams who have badly regressed due to the number of matches they've played in recent seasons and said it would therefore likely benefit us to play fewer games next season if we can't make top 4. None of this is especially controversial. Playing less games equals rest. Old squad equals needs rest.

The counter arguments to that have been "winning mentality" and "regression to the mean". I happen to think I have a better argument than those things, it's not a shtick. You'll just have to accept that.

Quoting Thiago playing a mere 25 league games a season elsewhere as some sort of it was better for him example when we have barely been able to get that out of him is schoolboy error stuff....

As i said i appreciate it is all a game for you and your image etc but sometimes you like we all do fuck up - this is one of those times...learn from it and move on, kid...

I mean come on 'playing less games would do Thiago the world of good' is one of the daftest, poorly put arguments i have ever read on here - the lad could barely have played less for us if he tried to in his time here - and his lack of availability has been a huge problem for us.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Quoting Thiago playing a mere 25 league games a season elsewhere as sone sort of it was better for him example when we have barely been able to get that out of him is schoolboy error stuff....

As i said i appreciate it is all a game for you and your image etc but sometimes you like we all do fuck up - this is one of those times...learn from it and move on, kid...

"Kid". Haha, ok big man, relax.

Go back to posting your 75 similar essay posts per day that no one reads.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

"Kid". Haha, ok big man, relax.

Go back to posting your 75 similar essay posts per day that no one reads.

Ah i am hurt now after being friendly as well.

I think what i will do is leave the forum and login every day hoping to read about people calling for me to come back and then reappear once one or two do.

Yeah that sounds like a plan.

Just now, an tha said:

Ah i am hurt now after being friendly as well.

I think what i will do is leave the forum and login every day hoping to read about people calling for me to come back and then reappear once one or two do.

Yeah that sounds like a plan.

Your personality on here is whining about everything and writing interminable walls of text. No one would be clamoring for that comeback.

And if that was you being friendly and not dreadfully condescending, you might want to work on your people skills.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Your personality on here is whining about everything and writing interminable walls of text. No one would be clamoring for that comeback.

And if that was you being friendly and not dreadfully condescending, you might want to work on your people skills.

I was being friendly as it happens - playing into the stuff that came out around your 'comeback' but clearly you have interpreted it differently and decided to have some pops at me.

No problem - knock yourself out.

Ta.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1