You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These mini plug in wall heaters...

Carvalho Diablo

The plug in things can’t be any good other than in very small spaces where a little bit of localised heat would be noticeable.

500W isn’t a lot of heat, and it can only have a very small fan in there given it’s size, so it can’t throw the heat out to very far. 

I’d expect in most scenarios it would make negligible impact.

On cold days lately I’ve been using my old plug in heater to add heat into my little box room office. Chuck it on for 10-15 minutes, get a bit of a boost and then knock it off again until I am noticeably cold again.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I got one and wasn’t impressed, could barely feel any heat from it at all, I’d avoid if I were you. I bought one of those halogen heaters which has proved useful. 

I got one of the halogen heaters for £20 off Ebay and it heats my living room fine.

• Upvote 1

Just before Christmas our boiler died and for two weeks we were without heating and hot water which was a nightmare.

During this time week had a couple of basic convector heaters which did the job for whatever room you were in but the MiL brought us one of these plug in things (I did see them in B&M for about 15 quid) and said to me I could use it to heat up my box room/office whilst I was working.

May aswell as just struck a match and got warm of that for all the good it done. The wife noticed I wasn't using it and said I was ungrateful as her mam had bought it for us. I said I wasn't ungrateful but I didn't ask for it and I'd rather put on an extra layer than having the plug-in thing chonging on the leccy and giving off little or no extra heat.

They are crap.

My Mum bought one and gave it to me to try the other day. They don't produce much heat and you need to be in sitting directly in front of it to feel anything)

Works out to being about £0.17p per hour for nothing.

Save your money.

Our living room has been freezing this winter after we replaced the carpet with tile flooring. I went to Argos with the intention of buying a fan heater, a bigger one, but they had none in store. Ended up getting a little radiator type one for £30. It only takes five minutes to have the living room toasty as fuck. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Our living room has been freezing this winter after we replaced the carpet with tile flooring. I went to Argos with the intention of buying a fan heater, a bigger one, but they had none in store. Ended up getting a little radiator type one for £30. It only takes five minutes to have the living room toasty as fuck. 

And a rug?

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Got a couple of rugs. Makes no difference. She’s already moaning that we should rip it all up and get a carpet again. 

My Mrs was talking about getting porcelain tiles throughout the downstairs a couple of years back but it's gone quiet on that front thank fuck.

It was pie in the sky anyway, the cost alone I imagine to be stupidly expensive and I had to use that money to pay for my stairlift anyway, but the cost of keeping the place warm in winter with them wouldn't have crossed her mind.

I was thinking of buying one of these things but no disrespect to other posters but sorry I think I'll wait to hear the opinions of the two energy big boys, Dockers and Rico.

It'll start with three pages of sparing over technical jargon and the effects these things have on  smart meters, move onto calling each other cunts for the cars they drove twenty years ago then quickly decend into extreme threats of violence involving smashing each others skulls in with a Christmas stocking full of billiard balls. 

Only then do B&M bargains get my money.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

I also have an electric oil heater, which is fine for heating one room, but with the cost of electricity being what it is, I'm not convinced it's any cheaper than the gas central heating.

I have a four bedroom house with 6 adults living in it. Central heating is fucking eye wateringly expensive, completely out of the question. Something has gone horribly wrong in that industry and it’s not all down to Ukraine, that of course is a wonderful excuse for them.