You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jan 1-5 2023)

tlw content

roundupheader.jpg

It’s only a week since the last one of these but it feels like a month. Loads has happened and very little of it good. Thank God for the Blues eh? They’re the only thing keeping me going at the moment.

A mixed week for them though, they picked up an unlikely point away at City but then got their pants pulled down badly at home by Brighton. That result at the Etihad says far more about City than Everton though I think.

Fucking appalling from City. The one thing they should be able to hang their hat on is three points at home (or away) against their friendly neighbourhood Everton, but there’s a chance that City might not actually be as good as they have been or as good as we all assume they are. Haaland’s goals might be a distraction from the reality that City have dropped off quite a bit. They always have an early home defeat in them (Palace, Wolves etc) so you can explain the Brentford defeat away easily enough, but following that up by not beating Everton in their next home game is very un-City like.

I’m fuming to be honest. They couldn’t have had this drop off when we were great could they? No, when we were racking up ninety odd points they’d just reel off 16 wins on the spin to end the season a point ahead of us. Now that Arsenal have replaced us all of a sudden City start dropping points to shite like Everton? Fuck off. Twats.

To make it even more galling, this point might keep Everton up. It’s not inconceivable as it’s probably going to be very tight down there all season. We let Everton have a point too though so I’d also hold us responsible if it came to that. The difference is though we’ve been shite this season whereas City are supposed to be unstoppable with their ‘record breaking number nine’. He might be unstoppable but City aren’t. Even we beat them ffs.

I think I’m now slowly coming around to the view that I’d prefer Arsenal to win the league. It’s never been about who I dislike the most as that isn’t even close. Given a straight choice I’d take Arsenal over those cheating horrible cunts all day. The thing that muddied the water was that City winning it doesn’t mean anything and will just make people resent them for ruining the league, which is good. Someone else winning it undermines that whole argument though. It’s fine when that someone else is us, but a lot less so when it isn’t.

It’s also resentment. I wouldn’t say jealousy but I’d definitely feel resentment if Arsenal won it. They haven’t had to suffer and pay their dues like we did. Last year they shit the bed and couldn’t even finish top four. We had to suffer the frustration of finishing on 97 points and still coming up short. So for Arsenal to just end up winning it because City had a down year would be tough to take, It should be us capitalising on any City down year, but look at the fucking kip of us right now. It’s galling.

I’m a small petty man and if we can’t be finishing above City then there’s a big part of me doesn’t want anyone else to do it either. There is another part of me though, the more rational, less bitter part, that looks at what Arsenal are doing and says “good for you, stick it right up those cheating oil cunts”.

I’m not fully there yet but I know that the morally right thing is to want City to crash and burn, regardless of whether it’s us who are the beneficiaries or not. The problem is I can’t actually root for it as any time I watch Arsenal I just want them to lose (except this week when I wanted them to beat Newcastle).

There is no good outcome here though, I just need to figure out which is the less shitty one. Currently my feeling is that I’d rather see City fail than Arsenal, and that is certainly influenced by them not beating Everton. I hate wanting City to win any game and it very rarely happens. This was one of those rare occasions and typically they let me down. Absolute cunts. I’d be even more mad about it if Brighton hadn’t stepped in to take care of it. I’ll get to that in due course though.

Haaland had bagged his customary goal to give City a first half lead but they didn’t build on it and Everton did ok in the second half and equalised with a worldy from Demarai Grey. It was a bad tempered game and City were quite petulant. De Bruyne and Haaland could both have been sent off as tempers frayed.

Haaland had a cob on all night and had a running battle with Godfrey. I hate that Godfrey, he’s a dirty cunt, and I wouldn’t have envisioned any scenario where I’d slide with him over any striker in the league other than Richarlison, but Haaland was an absolute wanker here. He’s had everything his own way since he got here, but this was petulant and embarrassing shit from him. Spoilt cunt. Didn’t take long for that City sense of entitlement to infect him did it.

Tell you what though, I hope every defender in the league was watching that and saw how rattled and undisciplined he was. Kick the cunt, wind him up and let’s see how he handles it.

View full article