You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RIP Liverpool v Wolves 10-9-22

Chip Butty

28 minutes ago, etho said:

Given how were playing games off and time on the training pitch/getting players fit and rested may be a blessing 

I think this is the best possible outcome - Klopp knows he has to make some fairly fundamental changes, and getting this time on the training pitch is a real bonus.

• Upvote 3

The only positive for us with this, is at least we know now and we don't plan as if there is a game on Sunday. So whatever the players need - more time on the training pitch, a couple of days holiday, maybe time in the classroom looking at what we're doing wrong - it's our time to use well instead of wasting it preparing for a game that won't happen. 

This is brilliant news. We can put these games back to March or April when the diary will be freer. This break gives Thiago, Matip and Jota a nice handy schedule to work too and affords Henderson and Robertson more time to get fit. Given our form we were sure to lose this one anyway so it's bonus territory whenever it's played.

For us, as others have said, don't think it's too bad at all. 

Jurgen said last week that Wolves would be smelling blood and be right up for it and Chelsea under a new manager and all the media stuff about the national anthem, would have been horrible.

On top of all of this, we normally don't get time to train properly between matches so what would he have been able to change?

Now we have a good few weeks and on the basis that loads of players look knackered I don't see games now helping. Had we lost them the momentum would just kept building.

Sure we still have to play them but hopefully by then the momentum is moving in the other direction!

3 hours ago, etho said:

Given how were playing games off and time on the training pitch/getting players fit and rested may be a blessing 

You would think that if they want to get mins for Thiago and Arthur and try out some changes to tactics they could always arrange a friendly.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not really sure where to put this. Now I'm glad it's not an issue for us, but for fucks sake, what are uefa trying to prove with this. I fucking hate them. 

'UEFA rejects requests to play national anthem at Wednesday's CL matches'

https://www.skysports.com/share/12696641

The only permissible allegiance is to the corporation. They will be fuming they couldn't play their shitty jingle today.

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not really sure where to put this. Now I'm glad it's not an issue for us, but for fucks sake, what are uefa trying to prove with this. I fucking hate them. 

'UEFA rejects requests to play national anthem at Wednesday's CL matches'

https://www.skysports.com/share/12696641

Think it's fair enough really. What has playing/singing "God Save the King" got to do with mourning the Queen?

Also you start allowing the playing of political stuff and sooner or later Newcastle are playing the Saudi anthem on the Sheik's birthday, or Putin is mandating the playing of "Hail Vlad" before every match in Russia.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Think it's fair enough really. What has playing/singing "God Save the King" got to do with mourning the Queen?

Also you start allowing the playing of political stuff and sooner or later Newcastle are playing the Saudi anthem on the Sheik's birthday, or Putin is mandating the playing of "Hail Vlad" before every match in Russia.

I don't know what it has to do with uefa. It'd be like them telling George he couldn't play teardrop explodes at halftime or something. I'm not saying anyone should be forced to play it, far from it, I'm just saying if a club wants to play it, I don't see the issue. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't know what it has to do with uefa. It'd be like them telling George he couldn't play teardrop explodes at halftime or something. I'm not saying anyone should be forced to play it, far from it, I'm just saying if a club wants to play it, I don't see the issue. 

It's all about choice. Unfortunately a lot of us are not getting any choices in any matters unless it coincides with the wishes of toadies,grovellers and other assorted royal sycophants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

We get racism & pride stuff non-stop at the Football these days, that's political.

I completely agree with what you're saying by the way but it seems UEFA (& others) like to pick & choose what politics they like or don't like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

UEFA's tournament isn't it, so pretty much all to do with them, and they have fined clubs all over the place for political messaging / activities before I think.  

10 hours ago, Mook said:

We get racism & pride stuff non-stop at the Football these days, that's political.

I completely agree with what you're saying by the way but it seems UEFA (& others) like to pick & choose what politics they like or don't like.

That's all the FA though isn't it?  Pretty sure UEFA is pro-homophobia and monkey chants so long as there's money to be made.

• Upvote 1

UEFA's tournament isn't it, so pretty much all to do with them, and they have fined clubs all over the place for political messaging / activities before I think.  

That's all the FA though isn't it?  Pretty sure UEFA is pro-homophobia and monkey chants so long as there's money to be made.

Sure it's their competition. But as I say, they don't control the music played in the stadium outside of playing their tune. They don't stop us playing ynwa as another example. They don't block minutes silence. It just feels to me uefa trying to remind everyone they're the boss, when in actual fact they're just a bunch of cunts. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sure it's their competition. But as I say, they don't control the music played in the stadium outside of playing their tune. They don't stop us playing ynwa as another example. They don't block minutes silence. It just feels to me uefa trying to remind everyone they're the boss, when in actual fact they're just a bunch of cunts. 

They do control the music played in the stadium though. Normally, if you didn’t play the champions league anthem the club would get a fine.

If the club supported a political cause at the match, you’d get a fine. If you played a song called “UEFA are a bunch of cunts” you’d get a fine.

If you played an outright political song, you’d get a fine.

I guess their line must be, minutes silence is ok, national anthems are jingoistic political tools so not ok.

Aye, I think you're right although do the players take the knee before CL games? I honestly can't remember if they have/do.