You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

We have employed the same spending policy for the last 7 years by the way, and achieved much better outcomes with it than Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham and Chelsea. On and off the pitch. Idiotic? I don’t think so.

Again I’m not defending the owners. I wish they’d spend more too, but at the same time I understand how they rationalize spending decisions and I don’t feel shocked when they don’t spend what we as fans would spend if we were owners.

And I certainly don’t think we have idiots running our club. 

12 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

We have employed the same spending policy for the last 7 years by the way, and achieved much better outcomes with it than Arsenal, Man Utd, Tottenham and Chelsea. On and off the pitch. Idiotic? I don’t think so.

Again I’m not defending the owners. I wish they’d spend more too, but at the same time I understand how they rationalize spending decisions and I don’t feel shocked when they don’t spend what we as fans would spend if we were owners.

And I certainly don’t think we have idiots running our club. 

Yes but 2.5 years ago we won the league by 18 points, now we are up against it to get top 4. 

That is regression in anyone's book. 

Up until 2019 they did very well, since then the club hasn't been mitigating risks and now they are coming home to roost if they are not careful. 

If we drop out of the top 4 then they will argue the revenues aren't there to allow us to get back in. Seems logical to spend now to mitigate that risk. 

You cannot bang on about how good your recruitment team is, how you plan 2-3 windows ahead and have a shortlist for every position and then say there is no one out there that we can bring in now that improves us. 

It just doesn't pass the straight face or competency test. 

Frankly though, I am choosing to believe they won't do that, that they will be active and this is all a sensible strategy to avoid us looking too desperate and getting rinsed on the fees. 

33 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Arsenal signing another forward for £70m to consolidate their position at the top of the league/top 4. Yet they've been out of the Champions League for 4 years.

And we've won both the league and the champions league in that time. I'm not going to wet the bed because they've had a good season and we've had injuries. We're on the right path, but need some money. Some money is there, but it's clear we want to spend it only on top players. 

• Upvote 1

We won the league in 2020, almost missed out on CL the following season, then came within a point of winning it the season after. I wouldn’t say that is regression given who we are competing against. All I’m saying is one may not agree with how they do things, but they surely are not idiots.

20 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

We won the league in 2020, almost missed out on CL the following season, then came within a point of winning it the season after. I wouldn’t say that is regression given who we are competing against. All I’m saying is one may not agree with how they do things, but they surely are not idiots.

That was when our key players aged around 28/29 all now heading into theory 30s and it's showing

47 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Watch us play. I was never worried about us playing a severely weakened Leicester team at home 2-3 years ago. I read a stat the other day saying we are giving away the most high quality chances in the league and the only first choice currently missing is Diaz. 

Our control of games has severely regressed. Hopefully that will be addressed this month with a midfielder or two arriving.

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

Watch us play. I was never worried about us playing a severely weakened Leicester team at home 2-3 years ago. I read a stat the other day saying we are giving away the most high quality chances in the league and the only first choice currently missing is Diaz. 

Our control of games has severely regressed. Hopefully that will be addressed this month with a midfielder or two arriving.

It happened in 2020-21 and was addressed without changing spending policy.

1 hour ago, Jurgen Knows said:

It happened in 2020-21 and was addressed without changing spending policy.

Yeah, that is a lot of people's concern. They will do what the did then. Take a humongous risk to avoid spending money now.

If they get lucky then those players that we want will still be attracted (albeit if you were Bellingham and we scraped top 4 would you see that as ambitious?). If they don't then we say cheerio to those players that help us stay/get CL as we won't have money. 

It's quickly forgotten that a certain French centre half wouldn't be here if we hadn't got CL and let's face it, instead of the near miss it turned out to be last season would likely have been a struggle. 

Personally I prefer my team to do their best to mitigate risks instead of taking huge risks to avoid spending money and dressing it up as strategy. 

Like I said, I am hopeful they have learnt from Jan 21 and will be active this month. 

21 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Yeah, that is a lot of people's concern. They will do what the did then. Take a humongous risk to avoid spending money now.

If they get lucky then those players that we want will still be attracted (albeit if you were Bellingham and we scraped top 4 would you see that as ambitious?). If they don't then we say cheerio to those players that help us stay/get CL as we won't have money. 

It's quickly forgotten that a certain French centre half wouldn't be here if we hadn't got CL and let's face it, instead of the near miss it turned out to be last season would likely have been a struggle. 

Personally I prefer my team to do their best to mitigate risks instead of taking huge risks to avoid spending money and dressing it up as strategy. 

Like I said, I am hopeful they have learnt from Jan 21 and will be active this month. 

I understand your logic, but I think their risk assessment might be a bit different than yours. I also think they do their risk assessment in full coordination with Klopp, which for me at least makes them more savvy than idiotic.

As a fan I hope that they will sign a midfielder or two this month, but if they don’t then it certainly won’t be because they’re idiots.

1 hour ago, Jurgen Knows said:

I understand your logic, but I think their risk assessment might be a bit different than yours. I also think they do their risk assessment in full coordination with Klopp, which for me at least makes them more savvy than idiotic.

As a fan I hope that they will sign a midfielder or two this month, but if they don’t then it certainly won’t be because they’re idiots.

If they have players lined up for the summer that we have cast iron guarantees that they are coming regardless then I can see a logic for not ruining that by spending money now. 

I struggle to see that is the case. 

I also struggle to see Jürgen backing them doing nothing now. It's only a few months in from him saying they were risk averse. He has even said in the past that they are told the numbers and they have to get on with it. Not the same as them all being in unison on it 

I just cannot see doing nothing now as anything other than a humongous, arguably avoidable reckless gamble. One which I don't think any other well run club would do. Which well run organisation takes huge gambles?

Hopefully they wont and this is all a strategy to make the likes of Brighton or whoever think they cannot rinse us. Maybe it is designed to put pressure on the likes of Caciedo to force moves or miss out.

Either way, while I think we will have to agree to disagree on this, at least we are on the same page in terms of what we both would like as fans and cheers for the respectful discussion. All the best. 

I imagine that Jurgen feels that the PL has gone, but that we can't be as bad as before the break over the whole season and we are in the mix for top four even with the shit show so far, so backs us to be top 4 by the end of the season. In view of that I don't think we will buy a midfielder unless the deal seems really beneficial financially, like Gakpo.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HBenn said:

For the summer???? I don't understand anything they are doing at the moment. 

It’s bizarre and Klopp takes a large slice of blame. He’s the one showing endless loyalty to squad players who’ve persistently let us down and cockblocked new midfielders for years to no avail. Plus that mock-bemused press conference pop he had last summer at anyone suggesting the midfield situation might not be entirely optimal. All very hard to have sympathy for when the chickens come home to roost as predictably as they have. Needless to say, Scrooge McFSG haven’t exactly helped.

• Upvote 2