You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

How do people see a Usyk Fury fight going should it ever happen ? I think a focussed Fury would have too much given his size but he would have to be at the top of his game. Hope it happens

I think I go with the geordie fella on YouTube, usyk totally outworking fury for a points win.

9 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

How do people see a Usyk Fury fight going should it ever happen ? I think a focussed Fury would have too much given his size but he would have to be at the top of his game. Hope it happens

A focussed Fury would flatten him.

We'll never see that Fury again, he doesn't need/want it.

37 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

A focussed Fury would flatten him.

We'll never see that Fury again, he doesn't need/want it.

I don't think he'd flatten him, he's hardly ever been a big knockout puncher. Usyk isn't just going to stand there and use his face to block punches either. I can see him clinching a lot and leaning over Usyk by the ropes etc but Usyk is hardly a fighter that gasses out so it may not have the same effect that it would against other fighters.

3 hours ago, TheSire said:

I don't think he'd flatten him, he's hardly ever been a big knockout puncher. Usyk isn't just going to stand there and use his face to block punches either. I can see him clinching a lot and leaning over Usyk by the ropes etc but Usyk is hardly a fighter that gasses out so it may not have the same effect that it would against other fighters.

He'd go in two and a half stone heavier and, frankly, beat him up. He'd completely control the distance using his enormous reach advantage and, as you mentioned, smother all of Usyk's worth by leaning on him. I just couldn't see any way that Usyk was able to work. 

I think he'd also target the body a lot having seen the last few of Usyk's fights, and Fury would stop him late as Usyk wouldn't want to let it drift to the cards. 

But it's all immaterial as they'll never fight each other.

• Upvote 2

I think it is quite an intriguing fight. Accepted wisdom is that sequels generally tend to follow the original, but there are several variables here, and most commentators seem to be ignoring the fact that the last fight was very close on the cards and Joyce's eye was what made it seem like a crushing victory. 

18 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree with Jairz, a peak Fury dismantles Usyk, that second fight with Wilder was peak Fury and he really was some boxer, Usyk as good as he is would have been totally overwhelmed by that Fury imo. The peak has gone of course and if Fury went in underprepared and half arsed he gets cleaned out . 

Usyk has been underwhelming in his last few fights but I think it's because he's not needed to be at peak level. He's an unreal fighter and if they fight now I think Usyk out works him towards the end. BUT.... Fury always surprises people and has as been mentioned above, that second fight against Wilder was superb. If he can get his head fully focused then it's not a fight you'd bet on that's for sure. Hope it happens, it won't. I'd rather watch Fury Joshua myself. Just to watch Joshua get battered all over the ring. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.boxingscene.com/zhang-joyces-previous-opponents-went-into-ring-scared-im-big-bang-i-bang-everything--177944

“I felt like that was not Joe Joyce in front of me,” said Zhang, who will fight Joyce against Saturday night at OVO Arena Wembley in London. “That was not the Joe Joyce I was expecting. I was expecting more. The punching power, punch resistance, punching volume of Joe Joyce – you know, everybody was saying he was up there. But in front of me, I just didn’t feel that much. I think his previous opponents went into the ring fighting scared. But I’m ‘Big Bang.’ I bang everything!”

On 22/09/2023 at 18:10, TheSire said:

Usyk has struggled with Chisora and Dubois. I absolutely love Usyk, but the only Fury he beats (imo) is a fat, unmotivated one.

I've followed Usyk since he beat Glowacki in Poland. He has picked his battles well so far since he moved up, I knew he could beat AJ as his style was perfect. I just can't see how he stops Fury using his advantages. 

I hope Usyk gets the Fury fight as he deserves the money. 

9 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I don't really know who I'd want to win in Fury vs Usyk fight but I applaud Usyk for refusing to be stiffed on money. Normally I hate that shit but it's for his country 

I don't reckon that's true. I reckon Usyk would take a 30/70 purse to get in with Fury. Feels to me that Fury's shitting it. Froch rightly called him out. Legacy? Bang Usyk and Joshua out then there is some sort of legacy. Lewis, Holyfield, Prime Klitschko, Tyson possibly even Tapia would have knocked fuck out of him. 

But as I've said, He's a box of tricks who always surprises you. Even when he punches his own head in he wins. 

22 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I don't really know who I'd want to win in Fury vs Usyk fight but I applaud Usyk for refusing to be stiffed on money. Normally I hate that shit but it's for his country 

I think both were being twats in negotiations. Fury just being the biggest twat.

There's a reason we don't get undisputed heavyweight fights.

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't reckon that's true. I reckon Usyk would take a 30/70 purse to get in with Fury. Feels to me that Fury's shitting it. Froch rightly called him out. Legacy? Bang Usyk and Joshua out then there is some sort of legacy. Lewis, Holyfield, Prime Klitschko, Tyson possibly even Tapia would have knocked fuck out of him. 

But as I've said, He's a box of tricks who always surprises you. Even when he punches his own head in he wins. 

What was a prime Klitschko? Is there a Wlad performance you can name that would beat Fury?

Vitali would have smoked Fury, Wlad, I'm not so sure. 

• Upvote 1