Quantcast
New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up - Page 77 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
TheDrowningMan

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I hate football.

 

Sorry, I should say, I hate what football has become.

 

Fuck the rest of the season, I'm off to watch the snooker.

Yeah I'm pretty fucked off with it all.

 

Fair enough fucking off the super League in favour of strict FFP regulations and giving every club a fair crack but the Oligarchs have won here.

 

I'm glad no one outside of Lancashire and Yorkshire gives a fuck about rugby league, so they can't ruin that at least.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milan ultras, Curva Sud, with a powerful message: 

 

“Football did belong to the people until the 90s, when Champions League was born, destroying the old European Cup. From that moment, an unbreachable chasm has been created between the big and small clubs" 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody lifted a finger to stop the increase of ticket prices that was imposed by some Presidents". 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody stepped in to stop the rise of the super agents, who took player salaries to astronomical figures, which could only be sustained with TV rights, the same TV companies that imposed increasingly chaotic fixture lists" 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when rules were imposed to stop any rapport between the players and the fans.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when Supercoppa Finals were played on other continents or the dates of some games were changed a few days before kick-off, damaging those fans who had booked trains or planes to get to the stadium.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when some clubs were allowed to circumvent Financial Fair Play, while others with less influential Presidents were penalised.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when the World Cup was forced to Qatar in 2022, despite moving the entire calendar and disregarding human rights violations.” 

 

“The Super League is just the latest disgusting step, but those who took football to this point are no less grotesque, so save us these ludicrous performances of rhetoric and morality.” 

 

“Now that the money is running out, feel free to fight it out between yourselves, but don’t you dare name the fans. PIGS!” 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

 

I can't see them risking anything of that magnitude again. 

They will, they'll just plan and communicate it better and ensure they have the loudest mouths on board.  There will be no, or token at best, consultation with supporters.

 

 

There is nothing to celebrate here, the whole thing is fucked up and has shone a light on how bad things really are and has probably made things worse. 

More power to smaller clubs who have repeatedly shown they are only interested in themselves and can hold a whole league to ransom? Great.  More power to Man City (and Chelsea?) who's practices have undermined competition and led us to exactly where we are now? Fantastic.  Corrupt populist government, who have no interest in the clubs or supporters and only their rich donors and backers, sticking their oar in? Fucking wonderful.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/04/2021 at 15:06, Trumo said:

Whatever it's meant to be, and whether we've signed up to it or not, the key part in all of this is that we as a club are not seen as the main driving force behind it, as happened with Project Big Picture. The Mancs were as involved as we were with that, but they managed to portray themselves as simply following our lead when the shit hit the fan with the media. We're always going to be seen as one of the main players for a breakaway league but that is preferable to being viewed as the instigator.

And what happened... we ended up taking the majority of the flak (once again)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, navbasi said:

Milan ultras, Curva Sud, with a powerful message: 

 

“Football did belong to the people until the 90s, when Champions League was born, destroying the old European Cup. From that moment, an unbreachable chasm has been created between the big and small clubs" 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody lifted a finger to stop the increase of ticket prices that was imposed by some Presidents". 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody stepped in to stop the rise of the super agents, who took player salaries to astronomical figures, which could only be sustained with TV rights, the same TV companies that imposed increasingly chaotic fixture lists" 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when rules were imposed to stop any rapport between the players and the fans.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when Supercoppa Finals were played on other continents or the dates of some games were changed a few days before kick-off, damaging those fans who had booked trains or planes to get to the stadium.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when some clubs were allowed to circumvent Financial Fair Play, while others with less influential Presidents were penalised.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when the World Cup was forced to Qatar in 2022, despite moving the entire calendar and disregarding human rights violations.” 

 

“The Super League is just the latest disgusting step, but those who took football to this point are no less grotesque, so save us these ludicrous performances of rhetoric and morality.” 

 

“Now that the money is running out, feel free to fight it out between yourselves, but don’t you dare name the fans. PIGS!” 

 

Silvio Berlusconi was a driver for much of those changes, but because Milan had a winning team packed with world class talent at the time, I don't think the Milan Ultras kicked up much of a fuss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

 

I can't see them risking anything of that magnitude again. 

Sign Mbappe on Monday, try it again on Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could have had something good if the presidents of these clubs didn't act like Greedy retards. 

 

They could have made something a bit more fully formed, with actual plans for how this would benefit lower clubs, they could have even given it the illusion of being an open competition when the reality is the same clubs would qualify almost every year anyway.

 

A bit of extra thought and we could have wrestled a bit of power away from Uefa and sky, but they had to over extend so now they get to paint themselves as the good guys who are saving the beautiful game from the evil dirty dozen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-V said:

So the status quo of the game slowly dying for the average fan which is currently happening.  Progress...

Down, down, deeper and down..

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember a defining moment when the game was starting to be taken away. Nothing earth shattering but a sign of what was to come. It may not have been exactly like this - but this is how I recall the event.

 

It was probably early nineties. We were at the match. We'd been going to matches for years. We new the pre-match routine down to the minutiae - player warm-up drill; ref warm-up; players come out etc. I seem to recall it was a 15:00 kick off which is probably not right. Anyway, games always started on time. The refs watch was the source of truth. 15:00:00 on the dot - peeee---eeeep. Every game.

 

But today that didn't happen. Instead the ref looked over to the touchline. There was a bloke there wearing headphones - or something - someone who wasn't normally there. The clock went past 15:00. Thirty seconds later still no whistle. Forty seconds. Finally headphones-guy signaled all was OK for the game to start.

 

The slightly less important match-going fans had just waited whilst the TV audience watched the adverts. The game could now begin in our first televised live prem game. 

 

We were now marching to the beat of the TV companies.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I was one, no shame here. 

The principle I agreed with, the plan I did not, not least because there wasn't a recognised plan.  Well, they could almost copy and paste UEFAs CL reforms, would be close enough.  

 

The ESL was a cry for help to fight against City and PSG. Its relatively obvious some of the 12 are soon going to the wall.  But that's ok, they didn't 'earn' a right to keep more of the money they helped UEFA generate for the past 20 years by piggybacking on huge support and the glow of the names.  No?

 

Football is now an entertainment industry, for better and for worse.  And the likes of us add a sheen to proceedings, we put bums on seats, we sell-out their venues, we bring A-list credibility to whatever we enter. We 'earned' that, through decades of defining moments in football. Through millions of fans desperate to watch us play.  And now we're destined to become wallpaper, an extra, a Walk-On role in the CL to give credibility to the sportswashing procession when City or PSG win the trophy. 

 

I don't feel good about any of this, I'm just resigned to watching everything we've built now erode, season by season.  Football is currently held together by sticky tape.  Covid isn't going away.

 

But yes, FSG handled this incredibly poorly, though I don't think they now care how they're perceived, they're selling and they don't care who buys. 

I don't get the logic  of any of this, other than the we all don't like "sportswashing" done by owners of City and PSG (I guess Chelsea too).


"We" didn't play ourselves in all those matches and competitions in the past decades which created an army of domestic and international fans, it was precisely the openness and competitiveness of these competitions that generated interest, as well as existence of domestic competitions in all the countries where international support comes from, competitions which in turn generated a lot of interest in the strongest European leagues and the CL /EC

Same in the PL, without meaningful opposition you need to overcome, there is no sporting success and no interest, no fans and no money to piggyback on. "Big six" already have most of the money anyway. That's why they are the "big six".


City and PSG, for all the financial doping over the past 12 or 13 years have, how many CL titles between them? If you add Chelsea since 2003, the total is one. And we have two. What exactly have we built which is now being eroded season by season? When United and Arsenal were taking turns in winning the title for a decade and a half? For all the current financial and sporting dominance of City, there were still four different clubs winning the PL title over the past five years.

And why do people think going to the ESL would mean an end to financial doping of City and PSG? Why would their owners keep them if they cannot buy success?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I was one, no shame here. 

The principle I agreed with, the plan I did not, not least because there wasn't a recognised plan.  Well, they could almost copy and paste UEFAs CL reforms, would be close enough.  

 

The ESL was a cry for help to fight against City and PSG. Its relatively obvious some of the 12 are soon going to the wall.  But that's ok, they didn't 'earn' a right to keep more of the money they helped UEFA generate for the past 20 years by piggybacking on huge support and the glow of the names.  No?

 

Football is now an entertainment industry, for better and for worse.  And the likes of us add a sheen to proceedings, we put bums on seats, we sell-out their venues, we bring A-list credibility to whatever we enter. We 'earned' that, through decades of defining moments in football. Through millions of fans desperate to watch us play.  And now we're destined to become wallpaper, an extra, a Walk-On role in the CL to give credibility to the sportswashing procession when City or PSG win the trophy. 

 

I don't feel good about any of this, I'm just resigned to watching everything we've built now erode, season by season.  Football is currently held together by sticky tape.  Covid isn't going away.

 

But yes, FSG handled this incredibly poorly, though I don't think they now care how they're perceived, they're selling and they don't care who buys. 

I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that when news of a 'Premier League' first leaked back in around 1992, the concept of no relegation was on the table and the league was envisioned to be just 16 or 18 clubs.

 

But pressure forced the retention of relegation and promotion.

 

I agree, there's no 'shame' being in favour of this breakaway from the lets not forget corrupt UEFA and clubs having the say on how the competitions they play in are run, scheduled and organised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pete said:

So what happens now then? LFC will be even more despised by Neanderthal opposition supporters and the general public.  The team still needs an overhaul in key areas all whilst still battling for 4th spot and against teams vastly richer than we are?

Seriously, this 'world is against us' stuff is such bollocks.  We're flattering ourselves if we think we're universally hated; most people around the country don't give a fuck, and those that do think more positively than negatively towards LFC.  Apart from the obvious rivals, we are a lot of people's second favourite teams.   This sort of bollocks also plays into the 'victims' trope.  I do agree with you that we need a significant change to the squad. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

... the concept of no relegation was on the table ...

I don't recall that mate - any idea who wanted it and who didn't? And why they didn't do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't get the logic  of any of this, other than the we all don't like "sportswashing" done by owners of City and PSG (I guess Chelsea too).

Strictly speaking the term that applies to Chelsea is "sportslaundering".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silverware is the best PR any oligarch, shitty owner, hedge fund, or generic cunt can have. Barca and Madrid exists in an entirely uncompetitive league in Spain - they have benefited from that and acted like twats for the past 20 years. Now, the house of cards that their whole existence was built on has come crashing down - they are suddenly looking for ways to make more money. 

 

Let's see how willing High Horse Fc are to give up Uncle Uzzy squirreling away his money through the back door to help his mate make millions out of the club - by backing fan ownership? Lets see how keen the Dildo Brothers are keen to give up their control and free stadium to fan ownership? Lets see how keen Sky are to help the lower league teams struggling to survive by increasing the value of their Football League deal! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

And Henry‘s apology...

 

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/431970-john-henry-s-message-to-liverpool-supporters#

 

Looking forward to the sarcastic comments. 

no need for sarcastic comments.  He means these words as much as the arsenal PR person meant theirs last night.  Any functioning brain will understand that this is a tick in the box exercise, nothing more.  No need to even comment on the content.  It means nothing.  Now let's get on with the season. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, navbasi said:

Milan ultras, Curva Sud, with a powerful message: 

 

“Football did belong to the people until the 90s, when Champions League was born, destroying the old European Cup. From that moment, an unbreachable chasm has been created between the big and small clubs" 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody lifted a finger to stop the increase of ticket prices that was imposed by some Presidents". 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody stepped in to stop the rise of the super agents, who took player salaries to astronomical figures, which could only be sustained with TV rights, the same TV companies that imposed increasingly chaotic fixture lists" 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when rules were imposed to stop any rapport between the players and the fans.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when Supercoppa Finals were played on other continents or the dates of some games were changed a few days before kick-off, damaging those fans who had booked trains or planes to get to the stadium.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when some clubs were allowed to circumvent Financial Fair Play, while others with less influential Presidents were penalised.” 

 

“Football did belong to the people even when the World Cup was forced to Qatar in 2022, despite moving the entire calendar and disregarding human rights violations.” 

 

“The Super League is just the latest disgusting step, but those who took football to this point are no less grotesque, so save us these ludicrous performances of rhetoric and morality.” 

 

“Now that the money is running out, feel free to fight it out between yourselves, but don’t you dare name the fans. PIGS!” 

Brilliant statement by the tifosi. They've shouted it loud and clear. Unlike cunts like samuel, birt, tyler, dowden, johnson et al who have just ensured the new status quo of manchester city, chelsea, PSG and Saudi Newcastle if reports are to be believed, to spend what the fuck they want.

 

I mean why bother going through the shame of saying Etihad Airlines sponsor's city to the tune of over 400m despite only ever turning a small profit once or twice in it's existence, same as their other faux sponsorship deals.

 

Just do away with sponsorship and let's have real transparency of who is put how much into their club.

 

If you wanted an end to your club being screwed over the football calender or players being flogged to death my couldnt careless international managers and the extra 100 games in the CL, knock yourselves out. This is, as I see it a pyrrhic victory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Moo said:

More power to smaller clubs who have repeatedly shown they are only interested in themselves and can hold a whole league to ransom? Great.  More power to Man City (and Chelsea?) who's practices have undermined competition and led us to exactly where we are now? Fantastic.  Corrupt populist government, who have no interest in the clubs or supporters and only their rich donors and backers, sticking their oar in? Fucking wonderful.

All symptoms. The cause is FIFA, UEFA and the National & League Associations who embraced it all with the vigour of flies finding a fresh pile of triceratops shit. In truth, our generation of fans didn't do anywhere near enough to stop it happening either. FFP was a sticking plaster over a wound that needed superglue and a shitload of stitching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anubis said:

All symptoms. The cause is FIFA, UEFA and the National & League Associations who embraced it all with the vigour of flies finding a fresh pile of triceratops shit. In truth, our generation of fans didn't do anywhere near enough to stop it happening either. FFP was a sticking plaster over a wound that needed superglue and a shitload of stitching.

Spot on. Just said that myself to a mate - FSG are the symptom not the cause. Hicks and Gillett were greedy bastards in it for the money and happy to ruin the football club to do so - and Sky TV was happy for them to do that, sent Alan Myers to give them a platform and had Jim White taking the piss out of Jay McKenna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×