You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

All symptoms. The cause is FIFA, UEFA and the National & League Associations who embraced it all with the vigour of flies finding a fresh pile of triceratops shit. In truth, our generation of fans didn't do anywhere near enough to stop it happening either. FFP was a sticking plaster over a wound that needed superglue and a shitload of stitching.

Spot on. Just said that myself to a mate - FSG are the symptom not the cause. Hicks and Gillett were greedy bastards in it for the money and happy to ruin the football club to do so - and Sky TV was happy for them to do that, sent Alan Myers to give them a platform and had Jim White taking the piss out of Jay McKenna. 

48 minutes ago, navbasi said:

Milan ultras, Curva Sud, with a powerful message: 

“Football did belong to the people until the 90s, when Champions League was born, destroying the old European Cup. From that moment, an unbreachable chasm has been created between the big and small clubs" 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody lifted a finger to stop the increase of ticket prices that was imposed by some Presidents". 

“Football did belong to the people even when nobody stepped in to stop the rise of the super agents, who took player salaries to astronomical figures, which could only be sustained with TV rights, the same TV companies that imposed increasingly chaotic fixture lists" 

“Football did belong to the people even when rules were imposed to stop any rapport between the players and the fans.” 

“Football did belong to the people even when Supercoppa Finals were played on other continents or the dates of some games were changed a few days before kick-off, damaging those fans who had booked trains or planes to get to the stadium.” 

“Football did belong to the people even when some clubs were allowed to circumvent Financial Fair Play, while others with less influential Presidents were penalised.” 

“Football did belong to the people even when the World Cup was forced to Qatar in 2022, despite moving the entire calendar and disregarding human rights violations.” 

“The Super League is just the latest disgusting step, but those who took football to this point are no less grotesque, so save us these ludicrous performances of rhetoric and morality.” 

“Now that the money is running out, feel free to fight it out between yourselves, but don’t you dare name the fans. PIGS!” 

whats hear hear in italian

• Upvote 3

“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up the stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him, and without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

-Sir Bobby Robson

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I don't recall that mate - any idea who wanted it and who didn't? And why they didn't do it?

It was in the embryonic days, much the same as the Euro League, was being mooted. Lots of people think the Premier League was formed at the behest of the FA. In part it was because they wanted to re establish their position of authority over the Football League.

But as with this Euro League, it was the core then First Division clubs who wanted the PL and the reason they wanted it were pretty much the same, more control and more money.

From a poster on The Anfield Noise forums. Some of us just ain't going to learn.

Danny
31m

The apology does change things, at least for me. Lets not forget that it was difficult to stay out, like what Bayern did, even if it was the right thing to do. Being on the outside of it would have been seen like condemning the club to financial ruin in the future. It seems to me that the thing is being driven more by the Spanish and Italian clubs who maybe, have more to gain financially from the project than the PL clubs who are already rich and getting rich in comparison. This especially applies to the Italian clubs. Anyway, he said sorry. We move on. They have been very good owners, this and the sacking of Kenny aside.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

John Barnes talking sense of BBC. Why isnt this man involved in English football administration?

I love how intense Barnes is when he gets going, he always comes across as ferociously intelligent, I love the man. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

John Barnes talking sense of BBC. Why isnt this man involved in English football administration?

Spurs fans were posting this interview on their forums this morning. It seems his views were well received. None of the tribalism you normally see.

59 minutes ago, Moo said:

They will, they'll just plan and communicate it better and ensure they have the loudest mouths on board.  There will be no, or token at best, consultation with supporters.

There is nothing to celebrate here, the whole thing is fucked up and has shone a light on how bad things really are and has probably made things worse. 

More power to smaller clubs who have repeatedly shown they are only interested in themselves and can hold a whole league to ransom? Great.  More power to Man City (and Chelsea?) who's practices have undermined competition and led us to exactly where we are now? Fantastic.  Corrupt populist government, who have no interest in the clubs or supporters and only their rich donors and backers, sticking their oar in? Fucking wonderful.

Out of +ve but nail on head. When Im reloaded, I'll try and remember to come back the green back this.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

I hate football.

Sorry, I should say, I hate what football has become.

Fuck the rest of the season, I'm off to watch the snooker.

I'm not far away from having a couple of rally cars finished, possibly starting on a new rallycross car (or buying my first ever one from when I was just a young boy back) and we're starting to get some testing and instruction days going again soon.

I think Jurgen is the only thing that's really kept me watching at the moment, as we for the first time in years have a team that seems to be made up of genuine people and I don't hate half the team which had been the case for a number of years. But even with that over the last couple of years I had already come to the realisation that I am likely to never set foot inside Anfield ever again and have slowly had less and less interest. 

To be honest once I can get back competing myself again I'd rather spend my weekends driving or working on the car. Can't be arsed with the match anymore as it just feels hollow and has felt that way for quite a few years now. 

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Because he talks sense and isn't only interested in lining his own pockets at the expense of others.

I see why fans are downbeat that City and Chelsea (and whoever else wins the lottery in the coming years e.g. Newcastle), just continue spending and distorting the league. But, the issue is there ready to be pushed and promoted - the Government and Sky have pushed new ownership controls, well - take it up. Promote it, make it central to every Fan agenda - and if need be lay the hypocrisy of Sky and Neville and other fans on the table. 

A German model of ownerships - or something similar, will do more to curtail Chelsea and City than any ESL would. FFP in government legislation. Sometimes it is worth doing something just to prove how worthless peoples words are. Like those Tories who say 'charity begins at home' whilst doing nothing for charities at home. 

2 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I see why fans are downbeat that City and Chelsea (and whoever else wins the lottery in the coming years e.g. Newcastle), just continue spending and distorting the league. But, the issue is there ready to be pushed and promoted - the Government and Sky have pushed new ownership controls, well - take it up. Promote it, make it central to every Fan agenda - and if need be lay the hypocrisy of Sky and Neville and other fans on the table. 

A German model of ownerships - or something similar, will do more to curtail Chelsea and City than any ESL would. FFP in government legislation. Sometimes it is worth doing something just to prove how worthless peoples words are. Like those Tories who say 'charity begins at home' whilst doing nothing for charities at home. 

Given how they've handled things like this previously, they'll appoint Sheik Mansour to head it up, with Abramovic assisting.

• Upvote 1

Hypocrisy rules.

Those claiming “victory” in this are the ones who instigated the start of it in1992, this was an extension of their greed and craving for power, but it was leaving them adrift and the clubs in charge, but as usual the knuckle draggers and morons from the dross believe they’ve bloodied our nose and, somehow, it’ll be all Liverpool’s doing before too long, whether that’s true or not.

I don’t like the way it was formulated but I wouldn’t mind betting it’s not the last we’ve heard of this, the genies out of the bottle and, probably, won’t want to be put back in despite the climb down.

As for our owners, we’ll they’ve stepped over a line again and frankly aren’t likely to be forgiven. That, though, hasn’t worried them in the past and won’t going forwards. Perhaps they’ll sell because City, PSG, Chelsea etc., can pretty much do as they please and that’ll leave us falling behind which, effectively, will reduce the clubs worth. Our stock is still high and they may want to sell before that changes.

The collapse of The Super League has seen the Champions League restored as club football’s premier cup competition.

But what does the future hold for the tournament? Is its revamped format, ratified this week, simply a Super League by the back door and what happens now with those rebel clubs who tried to breakaway? Telegraph Sport breaks down the main issues.

How will the revamped Champions League work?

Formally ratified on Monday in defiance at The Super League’s launch, the revamped tournament essentially replaces the current 32-team group stage, which is split into eight groups of four, with one of a single 36-team group using the so-called ‘Swiss system’. Instead of playing three group opponents home and away across six match-days, teams will play 10 different opponents of varying strengths.

This will massively increase the total number of matches in the competition from 125 to 225. The top eight sides in the group phase will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, with those finishing between ninth and 24th squaring off in a two-legged play-off to join the top eight in the knockout stages. The new format is due to begin in 2024-25.

Who gets the extra four places?

The ratified format confirmed one place would go the fifth highest-ranked Uefa association – currently France – one to a domestic champion of a smaller nation but two to the highest-ranked clubs to have qualified for one of the other pan-European club competitions. If in place this season, that could allow Liverpool entry even if they were to finish outside the Premier League top four. This is not quite the permanent membership offered by The Super League but is a back door Uefa is now under major pressure to shut. It could be argued the Champions League has been slowly becoming a Super League in all but name.

Will The Super League rejoin the competition?

After the humiliating collapse of the new competition just 48 hours after it was launched, it would appear unthinkable they would not simply come crawling back to Uefa. It would be even more unthinkable for Uefa to throw them out given the amount of money they generate for the tournament. But in confirming its suspension, The Super League spoke about “steps to reshape the project”, indicating at least some of those involved would try to extract even more concessions from Uefa.

Could the Champions League become a closed competition?

That is now firmly off the agenda for the foreseeable future – if not forever. However, before the shock launch of The Super League, the clubs involved in it and Uefa were at loggerheads over control of the Champions League. The clubs effectively wanted to take over running the competition, with Uefa refusing to surrender a controlling stake.

Those teams could try again but their negotiating power has arguably never been weaker and smaller clubs will be hoping Uefa turns the tables and withdraws some of the concessions already made. At the very least, the smaller clubs will want to ensure any additional revenue generated is used to close the gap between the game’s haves and have nots.

The future of the Champions League is still under the spotlight
The future of the Champions League is still under the spotlight Credit: REUTERS

Could the Champions League adopt any of the Super League’s ideas?

Florentino Perez, the president of Real Madrid and chairman The Super League, was the only one of the architects of the new competition to speak publicly about it before it collapsed. He was scathing about the Champions League reforms and claimed football would be “dead” by 2024 if The Super League did not happen. Could this lead to a revamped competition sooner than that?

Perez also suggested Super League matches could be made shorter than 90 minutes to attract younger fans, something football’s law-making body, the International Football Association Board, began looking at four years ago. The idea of bankrolling The Super League through private investment is already being pursued by Uefa, which has held talks with Centricus Asset Management over a £5.2 billion cash injection.

From the torygraph.