You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool FC: The 30-Year Wait

1892-LFCWasBorn

8 minutes ago, skaro said:

After we beat City in 2014, I felt certain we'd win the title.

Me too. It felt like our Sheffield Wednesday game (for the mancs with their 9 minutes added time). Fans of other clubs Ive meet since all say the same thing, why didnt we play for a draw against chelsea? Ive even seen some of our own fans spouting that since that day.

Fact is, no one thought about losing to chelsea on the day of the game never mind going for a draw. The game turned on Stevie's slip. Up to that point, chelsea had been stubborn and spoiling twats but I was convinced we'd get the breakthrough eventually.

We could have played for a draw and Stevie still slips. Then everyone says why didnt you play the way you played the previous 10 or 11 games? It's all what ifs and maybes.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I agree, but how to explain Ray Davies or Paul Mc Cartney wrote so many good songs in the 60 and 70’, but they  have also made utter garbage since, especially Ray ?

On McCartney, he and Lennon both acted as huge sounding boards and song writing collaborators/competitors right through the Beatles era resulting in a songbook that is unequalled. It's no surprise that neither achieved those heights as solo artistes as they were a prefect match.

On Ray Davies , I guess his songs just dated.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Trumo said:

I watched this last night too.

I actually think they included too much pre-90s stuff. It was almost 1/3 of the running time. You need a bit of context to show the viewer what the club was like before then, and why it was a winning machine, but it meant they breezed through a lot of the stuff that was more relevant to the club's downturn. Not enough focus on why results and performances tailed off after the odd season of getting people's hopes up. This approach would be more fitting to the programme's title.

And yes, the caption about 39 Italians was jarring in its inaccuracy. "39 football supporters" or "39 Juventus fans" would have sufficed.

I actually enjoyed the early stuff, there's loads of people who don't know that Liverpool. I think they could have made a longer doco, maybe 3 or 4 x 1 hour episodes. I'd have liked input from Kenny and Souness and I think they should have covered the h&g era more. And I think they could have made more of the final leg of the journey. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Me too. It felt like our Sheffield Wednesday game (for the mancs with their 9 minutes added time). Fans of other clubs Ive meet since all say the same thing, why didnt we play for a draw against chelsea? Ive even seen some of our own fans spouting that since that day.

Fact is, no one thought about losing to chelsea on the day of the game never mind going for a draw. The game turned on Stevie's slip. Up to that point, chelsea had been stubborn and spoiling twats but I was convinced we'd get the breakthrough eventually.

We could have played for a draw and Stevie still slips. Then everyone says why didnt you play the way you played the previous 10 or 11 games? It's all what ifs and maybes.

Also, nobody ever mentions the stonewall penalty in the second half when Cahill dives and uses both forearms to block a shot.

• Upvote 1

On 05/09/2020 at 12:41, skaro said:

After we beat City in 2014, I felt certain we'd win the title.

I thought I did too, but with hindsight it was far more hope than belief. I wanted to believe and I was on the train, and gutted when it fell away, but it was different to how I felt after the first 10 games of this season.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I thought I did too, but with hindsight it was far more hope than belief. I wanted to believe and I was on the train, and gutted when it fell away, but it was different to how I felt after the first 10 games of this season.

Yes, with hindsight, 2014 was despair, let alone hope.

But I was certain at the time.  Certain.

Did I feel more certain after 10 games of last season, having lost once in 49 games?  Of course I did.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

Yes, with hindsight, 2014 was despair, let alone hope.

But I was certain at the time.  Certain.

Did I feel more certain after 10 games of last season, having lost once in 49 games?  Of course I did.

Exactly. The season before - both going toe to toe with city in the run in and getting over the bump of having won something meant last year was built on something.

9 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Exactly. The season before - both going toe to toe with city in the run in and getting over the bump of having won something meant last year was built on something.

Has any team ever lost only 4 times over 2 top flight English seasons?  Perhaps, but we've been somewhat impressive.

Passing up on signing Anelka was a seismic dereliction of duty by all concerned, especially when you look at who we brought in that summer instead. 

Of course he could be a difficult character, but he was a world class striker. Watched the glossy documentary about him on Netflix during the week and we’re the one club he almost seems warm towards, saying he liked the city and wanted to stay on. 

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Passing up on signing Anelka was a seismic dereliction of duty by all concerned, especially when you look at who we brought in that summer instead. 

Of course he could be a difficult character, but he was a world class striker. Watched the glossy documentary about him on Netflix during the week and we’re the one club he almost seems warm towards, saying he liked the city and wanted to stay on. 

Yeah, the first sign Ged was starting to lose it imho. Anelka hit it off with the players and I bet a fair few of them were surprised we didnt sign him, I know I was.

If that story about wenger phoning Ged to say his brothers had tried to get him back into arsenal is true from the point of wenger phoning, it seems to me wenger worked a number on his countryman to arsenal's advantage.

You know whats going to be really good. At the end of the intro to MOTD they show the previous winners of the league holding the trophy. I've seen plenty of other teams in that position. 

Now its going to be Liverpool. 

A small thing to look forward to but in lieu of transfers... 

I completely agree about Anelka - I was dismayed and befuddled by our decision not to keep him. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Anelka is one of the worst person in the world. It would have turn sour quickly, it did actually because Ged did not actually give him a contract.

The tv report on Netflix is not a show, it’s Sovietic propaganda, no conflicting views.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Anelka is one of the worst person in the world. It would have turn sour quickly, it did actually because Ged did not actually give him a contract.

The tv report on Netflix is not a show, it’s Sovietic propaganda, no conflicting views.

It might not have worked out perfectly, but it would certainly have been a vastly better outcome than bringing in El Hadji Diouf.

Litmanen was completely underused too.

• Upvote 1

I’d re-warmed to Ged in recent years, but having seen him on that 30 year wait programme realised it was through absence, as his drawbacks were once more loud and clear.

Always at the front of any queue forming to slap him on the back. Hardly alone in that tendency, but he’s a prime example of it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I'll always have love for Ged as a person but I can't forget a lot of the awful football we played under him and the utterly bizzare signings from the French league. For me his tenure will always be synonymous with one player - Emile Hesky. 

That's E***e H****y. 

On 05/09/2020 at 12:49, dockers_strike said:

The only type of draw that team was set up for was a 3-3 one, maybe a 2-2. One way or another we'd have needed to have scored in that game, and score first. Chelsea opening the scoring was the problem, not the way we set up.

We lost that title because we couldn't fucking defend - if we could, that one game wouldn't have been so crucial. But that was the way we were and I wasn't particularly arsed with how we approached that game - we'd got into contention by virtue of being a "score first, score more" sort of team and it would have made no sense to change it for such a big game.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Went to an away game against Villa while Houllier was in charge which finished 0-0, possibly the most boring game I've ever watched live. Just 90 minutes of us passing the ball sideways. 

Queuing up for the offy before the game was more interesting.

To be fair we had a number under him and Rafa and even worse under the owl where we couldn't even pass the ball sideways! 

Gérard Houllier took money from the club through his brother -in-law every single time he bought a player from Ligue 1. Allegedly.

He can get to fuck.

Oh, and his football was shite.

NB - the use of the word allegedly is to avoid any potential trouble

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Went to an away game against Villa while Houllier was in charge which finished 0-0, possibly the most boring game I've ever watched live. Just 90 minutes of us passing the ball sideways. 

Queuing up for the offy before the game was more interesting.

If Rodgers had done that against Chelsea at home we'd have one more title. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, m0e said:

Gérard Houllier took money from the club through his brother -in-law every single time he bought a player from Ligue 1. Allegedly.

He can get to fuck.

Oh, and his football was shite.

NB - the use of the word allegedly is to avoid any potential trouble

Loved to buy players who’s agent was Willie McKay too. 

• Upvote 1