You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burglar bastards

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

the thing is house crime should be an easy win with the technology they have today. it shouldn't be difficult to get some dna or something and very often (like mine) there is cctv footage too and if not in the house in particular, it's fucking everywhere. then even if all they do is collect that data and wait until they strike gold and get a DNA match. it might take a couple of years, but once they get a hit, there's tons of crimes solved right there. i reckon they just don't give a shit, it has little to do with targets, they just have zero respect for the public and think we're all a bunch of criminals and they've no interested in helping us. the idea that the police are there to protect us went decades ago. 

Yeah you only have to look at the US, if it wasn't for the persistence of 8 year old hero Kevin McCallister the wet bandits would still be at large.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep. I think the police are too reliant on tech in general though now. CCTV, DNA, phone records and all that shit. When my sister got beaten up a few years back, some copper phoned from Warrington about 11 miles away to take her details, didn't have a clue about where the attack had happened or anything as he didn't know the area. So we got the letter a few days later saying 'had a think about it, don't really fancy it, sorry.'.

Back in the day the coppers would have been on the beat, you'd get a local plod who probably would have recognised descriptions of the attackers if she'd given one, probably would have known their parents, would have known the area where it happened. 

In fairness in recent years I think PCSOs have brought some of that community policing back, some do a really good job locally.

they should be doing both though. having technology doesn't mean you do fuck all. but what it does mean is back in the day they might find a fingerprint and it was tough to match that up, no you press a button and it sorts itself out. every time they have new DNA they should be able to reference it against their database. you can't do that if you don't bother your arse to get the dna in the 1st place, which was my experience. 

On 17/08/2020 at 20:48, Bjornebye said:

If I was a professional torturer then yeah but if I have reacted to someone breaking into my house by putting the rat through some pain then no. Fuck him 

They stole your Oasis albums didn’t they?

Joking aside, burglars are scum. My daughter went through a phase of being petrified someone might break into our house. The lost items can be replaced in the main but it leaves a lasting impact, especially on the kids. No one should feel afraid in their own home.

13 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

They stole your Oasis albums didn’t they?

Joking aside, burglars are scum. My daughter went through a phase of being petrified someone might break into our house. The lost items can be replaced in the main but it leaves a lasting impact, especially on the kids. No one should feel afraid in their own home.

I struggled for years after we had an armed robbery when I was a kid. It was a sunday night and the night before Wimbledon started, 1994 I think. For years (even at home not living in a pub) it would play on my mind. To this day I wake up to the slightest noise in the house though the night. It definitely had a long lasting effect on me. 

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Getting DNA compared isn't cheap though, I'd wager.  So if the budget is small they'll be prioritising crimes for budgetary and statistical purposes, which isn't right at all but crime stats are grist to the mill for politicians.

i would imagine testing isn't cheap, i would have hoped comparing is relatively cheap. 

Just now, The Gaul said:

i would imagine testing isn't cheap, i would have hoped comparing is relatively cheap. 

I assume, maybe wrongly, that it's something that is relatively easy and cheap to create a program for but is contracted to a private sector firm which charges fuckloads for it, thus making it prohibitive. It'll be G4S or Serco, or some pack of fleecing incompetents.

I also think that the worst part of the police not following up on this kind of stuff, for whatever reason, is it makes the victim feel like a) their problems means nothing and b) makes them query why they pay tax when the services aren't up to snuff.

Once the private sector gets involved it's all snouts in the trough. If the Wire taught me anything, it taught me that.

4 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I assume, maybe wrongly, that it's something that is relatively easy and cheap to create a program for but is contracted to a private sector firm which charges fuckloads for it, thus making it prohibitive. It'll be G4S or Serco, or some pack of fleecing incompetents.

I also think that the worst part of the police not following up on this kind of stuff, for whatever reason, is it makes the victim feel like a) their problems means nothing and b) makes them query why they pay tax when the services aren't up to snuff.

Once the private sector gets involved it's all snouts in the trough. If the Wire taught me anything, it taught me that.

yeah, true that. it should be cheap, but there are pockets to line, which is more important than crimes to solve. 

3 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I have some, not much, sympathy with the police as there's constant budget cuts, a lot of paperwork that has to be processed by a small amount of people and the general public ring 999 for anything these days. A fella I know who goes to my gym is a paramedic and he says the amount of wasted calls they get is insane, probably because the public are entitled and lazy these days. I feel the police have a little bit of that too. My place of work has been broken into a few times and the police do very little with the CSI stuff usually give it the "they wore gloves" shtick and move on.

My sister in law had a shop in Berlin, 3 or 4 years ago there was an attempted mugging in the shop, someone tried to grab a handbag from a customer. The customer didn't let go and the young one done a runner. The police were called and they swept the shop for prints. A couple of months later the sister in law gets summoned to court as a witness, she wrote back saying she wasn't even in that day and nothing was stolen anyway. She gets a phone call stating she turns up or they will charge her with failing to assist or some shit like that.

The moral of the story is the efficient fucking Germans know if you do a job properly first time around you can avoid the paper work for the next 50 houses these little scum bags will rob. DNA analysis may be expensive but it pays for itself. Anyone that breaks into a home has done or will do hundreds of other crimes. Just fucking catch the cunts straight away and lock them up for 20 years. You would think twice about entering someone's home if a minimum sentence of 20 years was attached to it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

My sister in law had a shop in Berlin, 3 or 4 years ago there was an attempted mugging in the shop, someone tried to grab a handbag from a customer. The customer didn't let go and the young one done a runner. The police were called and they swept the shop for prints. A couple of months later the sister in law gets summoned to court as a witness, she wrote back saying she wasn't even in that day and nothing was stolen anyway. She gets a phone call stating she turns up or they will charge her with failing to assist or some shit like that.

The moral of the story is the efficient fucking Germans know if you do a job properly first time around you can avoid the paper work for the next 50 houses these little scum bags will rob. DNA analysis may be expensive but it pays for itself. Anyone that breaks into a home has done or will do hundreds of other crimes. Just fucking catch the cunts straight away and lock them up for 20 years. You would think twice about entering someone's home if a minimum sentence of 20 years was attached to it.

The Germans are better at pretty much everything. If Hitler wasn't a warped evil cunt then I'd look back in anger that the yanks helped us beat ze Germans. 

39 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

For me it's not "grassing" when it's scumbags robbing houses/bikes/cars. 

Unfortunately, until everyone else in Liverpool agrees they'll keep getting away with it. 

Mad how it's worse to be a grass in this city than a degenerate thief or burglar. 

Yep.

Most of the crime in Speke when I was growing up centred around half a dozen families, if one of their spawn moved into your street shit would go south pretty quick.

It'd be a monumental effort to get rid of them, you'd have to keep dossiers on them and shit and pass them to the housing, then amazingly the housing would be duty bound to rehouse them. They'd end up in Toxteth or somewhere and ruin people's lives up there, get kicked out then be shipped back to Speke. Rinse and repeat. There comes a time IMO when society no longer owes you a thing, if you can't play nice then you can go and live in the fucking woods as far as im concerned.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, No2 said:

The Germans. No nonsense, get shit done. It's very frustrating just how much better they are than Britain.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Germany is so efficient that it realises that instead of locking people up for 20 years, it's better to tackle the problem at source

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Germany

2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Legalise drugs and crime would fall by 30% pretty much overnight

It's thought that between a third and a half of all acquisitive crime is drug related

They would still need the money eh to buy them and if anything it would rise because more druggies would be readily off their nut. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

They would still need the money eh to buy them and if anything it would rise because more druggies would be readily off their nut. 

For things like Smack you'd prescribe them like Drs do for medical stuff and the junkies would go to a centre where they'd get their free shit.

Because the Heroin would be pure and clean far fewer people would have medical issues; they wouldn't have to go on the rob for their fix and a lot of them could  be functioning members of society.

It would save a fortune and you could finance it by licensing and taxing weed, mdma, coke etc

• Upvote 2

This is from The Spectator looking at something they tried in Birkenhead

Junk policy

9 MAY 2015

In 1982 a doctor called John Marks walked into a grey little GP surgery in the Wirral, in the drizzly north of England where they used to build ships but now they built nothing. It was his first day as a psychiatrist there, and he was about to discover that this surgery was doing something he regarded as mad. It was handing out heroin to addicts — free, on the NHS.

Dr Marks was a big, bearded Welshman from the valleys, and his real interest was the mystery of schizophrenia and what causes it. But because he was the new boy, he was given a chore. His colleagues said to him, ‘You can have all the addicts, John — all the alcoholics and drug addicts.’

He was about to stumble across one of the last remaining loopholes in the global war on drugs. A century ago, in 1914, the United States banned heroin and cocaine, and it then gradually used its diplomatic might to impose this ban across the world. Doctors tried to resist here in Britain and across the world, because they believed that if addicts were forced to buy contaminated drugs from armed criminal gangs, their health would only get worse. Doctors wanted to prescribe drugs to chronic addicts. This resistance only succeeded in one country — Britain. This little window of legal drug use continued quietly for decades.

So Dr Marks watched as, every Thursday, a slew of addicts came into the clinic and received their heroin prescriptions. They were, he recalls, ‘maybe a few dozen lads, the occasional girl, who came and got their tot of junk… Railwaymen, bargemen, all walks of life really.’ He told them to stop using, and they argued back, telling him they needed it. ‘I found this a bit of a headache,’ he says, ‘and I had bigger fish to fry.’ He decided to shut the programme down.

But as he prepared to do this, there was a directive from Margaret Thatcher’s government. Every part of Britain had to show it had an anti-drugs strategy, it said, and conduct a cost-benefit analysis to show what worked. So Marks commissioned the academic Dr Russell Newcombe to look into it. He assumed Newcombe would come back and say these patients were like heroin addicts everywhere, at least in the cliché — unemployed and unemployable, criminal, with high levels of HIV and a high death rate.

Except the research found something very different. Newcombe found that none of the addicts had the HIV virus, even though Liverpool was a port city where you would expect it to be rife. Indeed, none of them had the usual problems found among addicts: overdoses, abscesses, disease. They mostly had regular jobs and led normal lives.

After receiving this report, Marks looked again at his patients. Sydney was ‘an old Liverpool docker, happily married, lovely couple of kids’, Marks recalls. ‘He’d been chugging along on his heroin for a couple of decades.’ He seemed to be having a decent, healthy life. So, in fact, now Marks thought of it, did all the people prescribed heroin in his clinic.

He asked himself: but how could this be? Doesn’t heroin inherently damage the body? Doesn’t it naturally cause abscesses, diseases and death? He discovered that all doctors agree that medically pure heroin, injected using clean needles, does not produce these problems. That’s why when people are routinely given heroin in hospitals — to treat the pain of a hip operation, for example — none of these problems occur. But under drug prohibition, the criminals who control our drug trade cut their drugs with whatever similar-looking powders they can find, so they can sell the heroin in more batches and make more cash. Allan Parry, who worked for the local health authority, saw that patients who didn’t have prescriptions were injecting smack with ‘brick dust in it, coffee, crushed bleach crystals, anything’. He explained to journalists at the time: ‘Now you inject cement into your veins, and you don’t have to be a medical expert to work out that’s going to cause harm.’

Heroin-Effects-LongtermHeroin-Effects-Shortterm

Dr Marks could see the difference between the street addicts stumbling into the clinic for help for the first time, and the patients who had been on legal prescriptions for a while. The street addicts would often stagger in with abscesses that looked like hard-boiled eggs rotting under their skin, and with open wounds on their hands and legs that looked, as Parry told me, ‘like a pizza of infection. It’s mushy, and the cheese you get on it is pus. And it just gets bigger and bigger.’

The addicts on prescriptions, by contrast, looked like the nurses or receptionists or Dr Marks himself. As a group, you couldn’t tell.

Faced with this evidence, Marks was beginning to believe that many ‘of the harms of drugs are to do with the laws around them, not the drugs themselves’. In the clinic, as Russell Newcombe tells me, they started to call the infections and abscesses and amputations ‘drug war wounds’. So Dr Marks began to wonder: if prescription is so effective, why don’t we do it more? He expanded his heroin prescription programme from a dozen people to more than 400.

The first people to notice an effect were the local police. Inspector Michael Lofts studied 142 heroin and cocaine addicts in the area, and he found there was a 93 per cent drop in theft and burglary. ‘You could see them transform in front of your own eyes,’ Lofts told a newspaper, amazed. ‘They came in in outrageous condition, stealing daily to pay for illegal drugs; and became, most of them, very amiable, reasonable law-abiding people.’ He said elsewhere: ‘Since the clinics opened, the street heroin dealer has slowly but surely abandoned the streets of Warrington and Widnes.’

One day a young mother called Julia Scott came into Dr Marks’s surgery and explained she had been working as a prostitute to support her habit. He wrote her a prescription, and she stopped sex work that day.

And something nobody predicted took place. The number of heroin addicts in the area actually fell. Research published by Dr Marks in the Proceedings of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh compared Widnes, which had a heroin clinic, to the very similar Liverpool borough of Bootle, which didn’t — and found Widnes had 12 times fewer addicts.

Heroes and heroin: famous users Heroes and heroin: famous users. Clockwise from top left: Coco Chanel, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Eric Clapton, Janis Joplin, Keith Richards, Robert Downey Jr, Philip Seymour Hoffman

But why would prescribing heroin to addicts mean that fewer people became addicts? Dr Russell Newcombe, working out of John Marks’s clinic, told me what he believes is the explanation. Imagine you are a street heroin addict. You have to raise a large sum of money every day for your habit: £100 a day for heroin at that time in the Wirral. How are you going to get it? You can rob. You can prostitute. But there is another way, and it’s a lot less unpleasant. You can buy your drugs, take what you need, and then cut the rest with talcum powder and sell it on to other people. But to do that, you need to persuade somebody else to take the drugs too. You need to become a salesman, promoting the experience.

So heroin under prohibition becomes, in effect, a pyramid-selling scheme. ‘Insurance companies would love to have salesmen like drug addicts’ — i.e. with that level of motivation — Dr Marks explains. Prescription kills the scheme. You don’t have to sell smack to get smack.

When Dr Marks’s experiment began to attract tabloid attention — and bring diplomatic pressure from the US government — the British government panicked and shut it down. The results came quickly. In all the time Dr Marks was prescribing, from 1982 to 1995, he never had a drug-related death among his patients. After the closure, of the 450 patients Marks prescribed to, 20 were dead within six months, and 41 were dead within two years. More lost limbs and caught potentially lethal diseases. Both Sydney, the Liverpool docker, and Julia, the young mother who had given up prostitution, died.

Dr Marks found he was blacklisted within his own country. He ended up literally at the other side of the earth, in Gisborne, the farthest corner of New Zealand, the place from which he told me his side of the story by telephone. One day, the Royal Astronomical Society asked him to play Galileo at an open day, and he had to play-act being burnt at the stake. When I expressed frustration at his fate, he said to me, ‘Whatever gave you the idea folk in authority operate according to reason? Your trouble is you’re being rational.’

Today, Britain has more than 250,000 people using illegal opiates — and Dr Marks’s experiment, in the drizzle and hope of the Wirral, has been written out of history.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Fucking hell mate. 

If I'm getting burgled and there is a few of them (I'm not Anny Road)  I'll be ringing the police and saying it looks like one of them has a gun. They normally react quickly to shit like that. 

The truth is that if you said ‘I’ve got a gun and I’m going to do him’ they’d be round faster than if you said the burglar had a gun. If you’re worried about security the best thing to do is apply for a shotgun licence yourself, you’ll then be on a list and if your alarm goes off you’ll get the armed police showing up sharpish.

Worse than the general people who moan about grasses is the following type - 

The ones who have feral teenage children who do things like robbing from sheds. Those rats will then be caught on someone’s camera and put on Facebook or the like. Instead of being ashamed they’ll accuse the person who put the pictures on Facebook of being ‘nonces taking pictures of kids’ etc. 

I honestly don’t know what the answer is with the scummy cunts who ruin society and only exist to cause misery to others. 

Short of summary execution I can only think of sticking them all together on either an island a la Escape from New York or under some sort of Simpson’s style dome and told ‘that’s where you fucking live now’  where they can live in misery and leave the rest of us to get on with it in peace.

• Like 2