You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think the trial of rapid testing, in-spite of its success rate, and subsequent psychological impact, has brought about the change is n behaviour which led to the decrease. Put that in Manchester you’ll get the same results, makes it feel more serious. Liverpool got the trial for whatever reason.

They’ve both been and will continue to be screwed, I don’t think a small reprieve for Liverpool should be enough to forget the tragic mismanagement from central government.

Something that's been niggling away at me since it was announced. Wonder what the trade off was ?

They're probably not alone but I see the BBC reported the drop in cases in Liverpool was due to the mass testing programme. So being the first city to enter tire 3 had fuck all to do with it then.

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Something that's been niggling away at me since it was announced. Wonder what the trade off was ?

They're probably not alone but I see the BBC reported the drop in cases in Liverpool was due to the mass testing programme. So being the first city to enter tire 3 had fuck all to do with it then.

Whatever it is I guarantee its not done off accurate figures. It's done with some snide intent from the government. A case of "Look what We did, look it worked because WE did it" 

6 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

They were desperate to have an area move out of tier 3 because Starmer has been hammering them on it and asking if it was sufficient because no area put in tier 3 had been able to move out of it.

There also seems to be some shenanigans with Andy Burnham who has been pissing them off by standing up for his region. Hancock and Johnson have been bigging up Anderson and Rotheram seemingly to get at Burnham.

Edit - The Guardian did a piece on this the other day:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/23/liverpool-mayor-tory-praise-viper-showing-teeth

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

They were desperate to have an area move out of tier 3 because Starmer has been hammering them on it and asking if it was sufficient because no area put in tier 3 had been able to move out of it.

There also seems to be some shenanigans with Andy Burnham who has been pissing them off by standing up for his region.

The argument today was effectively ‘look at Liverpool, Greater Manchester, that could have been you if only that nasty Andy Burnham hadn’t played politics’ 

Divide and conquer.

Both areas are being screwed over.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Rotherham and Chippy Tits accepted 67% furlough payments and nobody else would.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/07/covid-liverpool-britain-inequality-poorer-regions

University of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban has tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time and is now experiencing “mild symptoms,” the university said in a statement Wednesday, meaning he will miss Saturday's game against arch-rival Auburn. 

"This morning we received notification that Coach Saban tested positive for COVID-19. He has very mild symptoms, so this test will not be categorized as a potential false positive. He will follow all appropriate guidelines and isolate at home," the program said in a statement

Team physician Jimmy Robinson and head athletic trainer Jeff Allen added in the statement that Saban “will follow all appropriate guidelines and isolate at home.” 

Saban, 69, first tested positive for the virus in mid-October, as did the university’s athletic director, Greg Byrne. Saban was asymptomatic at the time, and was eventually cleared to coach that weekend’s game against Georgia after testing negative three times, indicating the initial test could have been a false positive. 

According to ESPN, Saban told reporters Wednesday that head-coaching duties will temporarily fall to Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian. Sarkisian had previously taken over head coaching duties following Saban’s first positive test. 

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Rotherham and Chippy Tits accepted 67% furlough payments and nobody else would.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/07/covid-liverpool-britain-inequality-poorer-regions

To be fair to them they weren’t really given a choice and they knew infection rates were soaring and the hospitals starting to fill up. The rate in Liverpool and the rest of the city region just shot up over 3 weeks in September. It looks like Humberside and now Kent are following a similar pattern.

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

To be fair to them they weren’t really given a choice and they knew infection rates were soaring and the hospitals starting to fill up. The rate in Liverpool and the rest of the city region just shot up over 3 weeks in September. It looks Humberside and now Kent are following a similar pattern.

Im not critical of them, the government looked to screw people when they should have been looking to help.

They’re truly deplorable. 

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

Well, I am looking forward to my night out in the pub next week, 11pm closing. Which is nice. I'm sure I could put my rates up as well. Which is also nice.

Sounds about right. Tories profiting from this whole event.... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Sounds about right. Tories profiting from this whole event.... 

If you'd been prudent, pursued a sensible policy of cutting things out and acted sensibly you too might have been able to share in the moral profits of following her majesties governments guidelines.

• Upvote 1

So what's the score with the Oxford vaccine then, has anyone worked it out? Seen a couple of reports insinuating shenanigans, possibly with over-egging its efficacy. As with many things related to this crisis, it's hard to find a reliabel news source and know what to believe. 

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

So what's the score with the Oxford vaccine then, has anyone worked it out? Seen a couple of reports insinuating shenanigans, possibly with over-egging its efficacy. As with many things related to this crisis, it's hard to find a reliabel news source and know what to believe. 

We did seem to go through a week of news where the main players in the race to produce a vaccine were proclaiming great results one after the other. 

29 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I heard something about Bloomberg saying it wouldn't get a licence in America because of the results with different dosages,  so Astra Zeneca are going to conduct new world trials. Don't take that as gospel though, I only caught a bit of it.

The cynic in me says it's the Americans protecting  their profits because the Astra Zeneca one is not for profit and therefore much cheaper.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

I heard something about Bloomberg saying it wouldn't get a licence in America because of the results with different dosages,  so Astra Zeneca are going to conduct new world trials. Don't take that as gospel though, I only caught a bit of it.

The cynic in me says it's the Americans protecting  their profits because the Astra Zeneca one is not for profit and therefore much cheaper.

I'd say that's a very good shout. Half the senate are sponsored by Advil.