You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

moof

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

Or put another way, Spain played like Spain

I loved initial Aragonés and Del Bosque sides. Those sides played great stuff and played with purpose.

I said during their game Monday, I posted they miss Villa & Torres more than Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol etc. Torres and Villa were great players and gave those sides focus and a threat. 

They were veering on disappearing up their own arse in 2012 and then disappeared up there completely in 2014 and yet to return.

Morata, Ferran Torres, Rodrigo simply aren’t good enough. 

The Qatar World Cup’s chief executive Nasser Al Khater responded to a question about a recent migrant worker casualty by telling reporters that “death is a natural part of life”, as well as saying journalists shouldn’t “bang on” about the topic.

The Athletic revealed on Wednesday that a man died while performing repairs at the resort used as a FIFA training base for the Saudi Arabia squad.

And Al Khater was asked about the casualty by a reporter from Reuters, to which he responded: “We’re in the middle of a World Cup and we’re having a successful World Cup and this is something you want to talk about right now?"

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The Qatar World Cup’s chief executive Nasser Al Khater responded to a question about a recent migrant worker casualty by telling reporters that “death is a natural part of life”, as well as saying journalists shouldn’t “bang on” about the topic.

The Athletic revealed on Wednesday that a man died while performing repairs at the resort used as a FIFA training base for the Saudi Arabia squad.

And Al Khater was asked about the casualty by a reporter from Reuters, to which he responded: “We’re in the middle of a World Cup and we’re having a successful World Cup and this is something you want to talk about right now?"

In other news:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/health-and-safety/worker-who-died-at-hinkley-named-as-husband-and-father-of-four-21-11-2022/

It was an abrupt response from the Qatari official but I would think that was more out of frustration at the hidden agenda behind the question than lack of concern for the incident.

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

It was an abrupt response from the Qatari official but I would think that was more out of frustration at the hidden agenda behind the question than lack of concern for the incident.

Disagree. 

If a migrant worker dies during the WC 2026 do you think a reporter will ask about it?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

If a migrant worker dies during the WC 2026 do you think a reporter will ask about it?

Context is what matters here. You may choose to ignore context to suit your agenda, but it is obvious the context in which the question was asked.

Had there been a different context, there would probably have been a different answer.

In USA 2026 such a question would not be asked in the context of a media campaign that started with false reports from the Guardian about 6500 deaths that the newspaper itself later apologized for.

• Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

In other news:

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/health-and-safety/worker-who-died-at-hinkley-named-as-husband-and-father-of-four-21-11-2022/

Unfortunately people die on construction sites, it can be a dangerous job. 

That 1 worker in the UK will likely live in good conditions, receive a good wage and will, hopefully, be a one off. 

The Qatari worker likely won’t live in good conditions, won’t have received a good wage and, as has been shown, not a 1 off. 

It’s not a hidden agenda, double standards or racism. Its fundamentally migrant workers have been taken advantage of in Qatar. 

• Upvote 2

On 06/12/2022 at 13:37, cloggypop said:

Obligatory Tim Vikery quote

He's an exciting player of a type that Brazilian football hasn't produced too many of recently. Of late their central midfielders have tended to be 'holders' who sit and allow the full-backs to push forward.

Lucas is different. He's a big, blonde figure whose power and physical strength comes with attacking ability.

He can pass well and loves to rumble forward. He gets on the scoresheet both with blistering shots from range and from bursting beyond the strikers

To be fair I think that was the consensus on Lucas from his time at Gremio. I don't know if he would've ever became that in Europe but trying to get into a side as specialized as Rafa's when Gerrard was always going to hold that attacking "free" role probably didn't help his development, not to mention Xabi as the distributor and Masch as the destroyer. Then he started getting injured all the time if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Had there been a different context, there would probably have been a different answer.

Well the context is one that was created by Qatar. Hundreds if not thousands of folks did die. Everyone knows that. You can't wish it away.

It still seems remarkable to me that you are so clued into UK media and stories but had never heard the one about the Supreme Ruler of the country you live in. Nearly impossible that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Saintslfc13 said:

To be fair I think that was the consensus on Lucas from his time at Gremio. I don't know if he would've ever became that in Europe but trying to get into a side as specialized as Rafa's when Gerrard was always going to hold that attacking "free" role probably didn't help his development, not to mention Xabi as the distributor and Masch as the destroyer. Then he started getting injured all the time if I remember correctly.

I remember seeing a youtube video of Lucas at Gremio when we signed him and he looked like like he was going to be world class. Screamers flying in. 

lucas-leiva-smile.gif

• Upvote 1

Why would Al Jazeera publish this in 2014, surely this framed the narrative early on, and the response was on very early as well :

More than 850 migrants working in Qatar have reportedly died in the past three years as the Gulf state readies for the 2022 World Cup and faces mounting pressure over alleged human rights abuses against migrant workers, according to numbers from a Nepalese human rights organization and the Indian embassy in Doha.

Committee head Ali bin Sumaikh al-Marri demanded clarifications on the circumstances of the reported deaths, insisting that there is a "campaign against Qatar."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

The Qatari worker likely won’t live in good conditions, won’t have received a good wage and, as has been shown, not a 1 off.  

And Qatar has taken and continues to take a lot of measures to improve the situation of workers. See below report from the International Labor Organization:

https://www.ilo.org/infostories/en-GB/Stories/Country-Focus/world-cup-qatar#wages

There is still a lot to be done. It is not Utopia there and no one is claiming so. Yet the point about double standards remains valid.

No one raised human rights issues in Russia 2018 and no one will raise them in USA 2026.

Call it whataboutery. I call it double standards. 

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

And Qatar has taken and continues to take a lot of measures to improve the situation of workers. See below report from the International Labor Organization:

https://www.ilo.org/infostories/en-GB/Stories/Country-Focus/world-cup-qatar#wages

There is still a lot to be done. It is not Utopia there and no one is claiming so. Yet the point about double standards remains valid.

No one raised human rights issues in Russia 2018 and no one will raise them in USA 2026.

It won’t be as much of an issue because there won’t be thousands of them. 

Edit…A quick Google tells me…

21 deaths in Russia. 

8 deaths in Brazil. 

Qatar received just over 765,000 visitors during the first two weeks of the World Cup, according to an organisers' report obtained by Reuters, falling short of the country's expectations for an influx of 1.2 million during the month-long event.

A huge surge in visitors at this stage is unlikely with only eight teams staying on in Doha, and eight games left out of the 64 in the tournament that began on Nov. 20.

The Dec. 7 report was prepared by the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (SC), which organises the tournament, and said that the first 17 days of the World Cup saw 765,859 international visitors, more than half of whom have now departed.

The report registered 1.33 million match ticketholders and 3.09 million tickets sold across the eight stadiums in Qatar for the tournament that ends on Dec. 18.

A Qatari official, who did not wish to be named, confirmed the figures.

10 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Double standards, you say?  That's a fresh and interesting perspective.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Double standards, you say?  That's a fresh and interesting perspective.

About as fresh as the perspective it responds to. 

How about you ignore it and talk about other things? There’s a thread on here about the Dubai Super Cup which started yesterday (Arsenal 3 Lyon 0) and some good world cup games to look forward to today as well. It would be nice if you can add your fresh perspectives as well. Cheers!

• Downvote 1