You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nightclubs are shit

Remmie

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Never cared for them. Around the millennium some started having PlayStations in though; I remember pissing my mates off by just playing Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX all night.

When I first started going out - 92/93 they had sonic nights at Nation, which is where cream took over.

load of mega drives setup for people to play smashed, fucking big mr freezies handed out, it was truly fucking boss, sweet harmony and a little bit of Italo house, SL2.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Ken Robber said:

I went to Southport college so had to endure the nightclubs there on most weekends in my teens. A club in a Conservative seaside town with no university nearby and in winter months especially is every bit as shit as it sounds. 

Seen a few of my mates sharing a post about Alpine shutting down and how all of them are gutted, even though it stunk of piss and the clientele was mostly middle aged men and lemo dealers trying to shag B-TEC students.

Southport is universally shite all around.

There used to be a strip club there called Dee Jays? Or something anyway. Used to go in there and ask the strippers what lead them up this this point in their lives and whether they had any other aspirations than putting their minge in desperate lads faces.

Looking back, I really was that annoying cunt who comes up to you drunk and ends up leaving you in tears because I've made you question every decision in life. I suppose I'm making amends for that now like but still.

That Alpine bar used to have some cunt in the bogs who'd always try and fight you if you didn't buy anything. I've still got a fond memory of pushing him into the urinals because he sprayed me with shite aftershave and wanted me to pay £5. I think that's what happened but in reality I probably paid him and fucked him up psychologically.

38 minutes ago, Spring said:

Southport is universally shite all around.

There used to be a strip club there called Dee Jays? Or something anyway. Used to go in there and ask the strippers what lead them up this this point in their lives and whether they had any other aspirations than putting their minge in desperate lads faces.

Looking back, I really was that annoying cunt who comes up to you drunk and ends up leaving you in tears because I've made you question every decision in life. I suppose I'm making amends for that now like but still.

That Alpine bar used to have some cunt in the bogs who'd always try and fight you if you didn't buy anything. I've still got a fond memory of pushing him into the urinals because he sprayed me with shite aftershave and wanted me to pay £5. I think that's what happened but in reality I probably paid him and fucked him up psychologically.

Can't imagine anything more depressing than a strip club in Southport. Even Morrissey wouldn't write a song about that. I know the one you mean though, it was round the corner from the Phoenix, which was an absolutely shite pub rammed with underage drinkers downing Jagerbombs cause they were 3 for 3 quid or something daft. 

I remember in Alpine there was an overweight fella who'd get paid to stand at the bar with no pants on. Completely bollocko. No one was arsed though, in fact he was considered a novelty  

Really, really odd place

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paul said:

Think it depends what you want a club to be for. I haven’t been to a club night in years, but there was a time when I lived in them - sometimes out as many as four nights a week. For me, clubbing was never about getting pissed or off my head (although that was sometimes a part of it); it was always about the music, dancing and, at times, DJing. 

The right club, with the right tunes and the right crowd is one of the greatest experiences in life if you’re a music head. There’s no room in my life for clubbing anymore - and I wouldn’t fit in even if there was - but I feel a genuine thrill even now at some of my best memories of being in a great club. 

I’ve been to famous clubs, massive clubs and tiny dives; I’ve seen most of the biggest DJs in the world who were playing out in the post-disco golden age of clubbing of the late 80s and into the 90s and also sets played by mates in little back rooms. 

Great nights include Soul II Soul at The Fridge in Brixton (can’t claim to have been to The Africa Centre, sadly), That’s How It Is and Dingwall’s with Gilles Peterson, Metalheadz with Goldie, Renaissance in Mansfield, Golden in Stoke/Hanley, Back To Basics, Vague, Wobble, Cream, Bugged Out and more. These were all about a group of people who shared a love of a particular type of music and wanted to dance to it and, though they’re fewer and further between than they were, they still exist. If I was in my teens or twenties now I’d be getting myself to Deviation, the Co-op revival nights or some place I’ve never heard of because I’m too old and too far removed from that life. 

I fucking love/loved clubbing and always will. Despite all those great/famous places I went to - sometimes regularly, sometimes once - the best feeling for me was always being a regular at Make It Funky in Sheffield while I was a student. It was just a local crowd with local DJs but it felt like “ours” and the tunes were always right. The other great feeling is going to a one off special night, like Winston & Parrot’s occasional soul/modern soul nights back then that would draw a slightly older, more niche (for want of a better word) crowd.  

So in short, I fucking love clubs. Not those shit lowest-common denominator places for people to get pissed and pull though; no, they’re obviously awful and I don’t even think of them as clubbing. A great club though is one of the most deeply personal places on earth if you genuinely love music and dancing and I miss them even now as 50 approaches. 

Great post. And your mention of Golden brought back some good memories.

Used to love going somewhere new travelling up and down the country most weekends. I had friends who were big into making dance music and djing so most times it was getting in free and VIP lounges.

Couldn't stick it now like.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Remmie said:

Over priced. Over policed. Full of cunts. Shite music. Shite booze. 

Been out for a mate's birthday after a meal and the second I got there I couldn't wait to leave. You can't talk to your mates, it's actually boring. I'm struggling to see the upsides. We're just so used to it being the only place to get drunk after 11 or fed the lie it's a great place to meet someone. 

Yeah I'm getting old and not supposed to like them but I'm not sure I ever was a big fan. 

Just make all night bars and pubs more common, a thousand times better

(Good) night clubs offer a completely different experience to pubs. You go to nightclubs not to chat with your mates, you go to dance to tunes you like. It’s like complaining about pubs because they don’t play decent tunes.

11 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

(Good) night clubs offer a completely different experience to pubs. You go to nightclubs not to chat with your mates, you go to dance to tunes you like. It’s like complaining about pubs because they don’t play decent tunes.

The problem is myself and many others go to them due to lack of open alternatives when the pubs shut. As for decent music, live stuff shits all over clubs and DJs

21 minutes ago, Remmie said:

The problem is myself and many others go to them due to lack of open alternatives when the pubs shut. As for decent music, live stuff shits all over clubs and DJs

Again horses for courses... there are as many shit bands out there as there are shit DJs. If you want to continue drinking and only chatting shit with your mates, just go around to their place, stop by an offy, and drink around their coffee table. 

19 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Again horses for courses... there are as many shit bands out there as there are shit DJs. If you want to continue drinking and only chatting shit with your mates, just go around to their place, stop by an offy, and drink around their coffee table. 

Well alternatives are usually my preferred option, but the pull of nightclubs seems to make people go and shell out for a shite music, rammed, sweaty hell hole and I have frequently been daft enough to follow. 

While I am sure many are talented and knowledgeable, the deification of DJs continues to baffle me. Guess they mostly don't do music I'm into. And they are responsible for fucking remixes

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Well alternatives are usually my preferred option, but the pull of nightclubs seems to make people go and shell out for a shite music, rammed, sweaty hell hole and I have frequently been daft enough to follow. 

While I am sure many are talented and knowledgeable, the deification of DJs continues to baffle me. Guess they mostly don't do music I'm into. And they are responsible for fucking remixes

There are loads of shit commercial table-service night clubs with VIP areas, and shit top 40 djs, playing tunes from their USB sticks. Yeah you’d give them a swerve. However there are still some great clubs out there. Look up Resident Advisor. Do you enjoy dance music e.g., disco, house, techno at all by any chance?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Great post. And your mention of Golden brought back some good memories.

Used to love going somewhere new travelling up and down the country most weekends. I had friends who were big into making dance music and djing so most times it was getting in free and VIP lounges.

Couldn't stick it now like.

Ha. The journeys, eh? Maddest night of my life was a NYE at Golden (I reckon probably ‘94 into ‘95, but can’t be sure). Gordon Kaye (who was incredible there) played and he always had a live percussionist with him to take the tunes to another place. 

The main room room was amazing but I fucked off to the back room for a good hour early on where a lad who used to warm up in there (I think his name was Rob; I’ve still got a mix tape of his he gave me somewhere) was playing a funk and hip hop set. He used to

love me because I’d always get a crowd onto the floor for him by just jumping out there. 

Then we all re-grouped on the main floor for an amazing night. My mate drove us home and we had to stop on the M6 at about 6am as I felt sick. We got out on the hard shoulder of a deserted motorway and the fresh air immediately made me feel better. 

As as I was recovering, my mate cranked up the tunes and Wanna Be Starting Something by Michael Jackson came on which sent us sll

nuts to the point we ended up dancing on the barrier in the middle of the central reservation of the M6 at about 6am on New Year’s Day. Great times and great memories. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

There are loads of shit commercial table-service night clubs with VIP areas, and shit top 40 djs, playing tunes from their USB sticks. Yeah you’d give them a swerve. However there are still some great clubs out there. Look up Resident Advisor. Do you enjoy dance music e.g., disco, house, techno at all by any chance?

I hate all of those which probably covers why I don't appreciate DJs! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

was that glued onto the side of the elephant? or Tommy Smiths yard by Childwall High?

No,it was in allerton road .If you walked from the elephant up the road towards the baths and the grapes pub,it was above a building on your right,just before the King Do Chinese restaurant (which you will remember as the lotus garden when you lived here)

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I'll leave you onion dodgers to it mate.

bounce-by-the-ounce-gif-8.gif

To be fair, stick a wig on him, and that’s me looking for onions in a carbonara when they’ve been missed off the menu, but me teeth have skidded across an unknown substance.

4 hours ago, halewood pete said:

No,it was in allerton road .If you walked from the elephant up the road towards the baths and the grapes pub,it was above a building on your right,just before the King Do Chinese restaurant (which you will remember as the lotus garden when you lived here)

In that case I’ll think I am fortunate enough to have never been there!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Juniper said:

Only really tend to go to Music Clubs when I gig at them, otherwise wouldn’t bother really as it’s not really my thing, never was to begin with even back at 18.

More of a pub guy but the occasional club visit is ok I guess.

Yeah. Think clubbing is actually about dancing. Gilles Peterson actually calls a club night, “the dance” and he’s right. That’s what it’s really all about. 

• 2 years later...

20 minutes before I realised I didn't want to be there; 35 to say I want to go home; 55 minutes for me to figure out an out that my friends would accept; 1hr and 30 minutes as I looked for my phone that some cheeky twat had picked up; 2 hr 25 mins as we got it back, and accepted that the fella had "found it" and not obviously pick pocketed me; 3 hr when the taxi brought me home, with explicit provisions I have to go meet everyone later.

All in all, £80 well spend.

Was initially pleased 

54 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

20 minutes before I realised I didn't want to be there; 35 to say I want to go home; 55 minutes for me to figure out an out that my friends would accept; 1hr and 30 minutes as I looked for my phone that some cheeky twat had picked up; 2 hr 25 mins as we got it back, and accepted that the fella had "found it" and not obviously pick pocketed me; 3 hr when the taxi brought me home, with explicit provisions I have to go meet everyone later.

All in all, £80 well spend.

Was really pleased, initially, by my response at 55m:

Fingerspitzengefühl [ˈfɪŋɐˌʃpɪtsənɡəˌfyːl] is a German term, literally meaning "finger tips feeling" and meaning intuitive flair or instinct, which has been adopted by the English language as a loanword. It describes a great situational awareness, and the ability to respond most appropriately and tactfully. It can also be applied to diplomats, bearers of bad news, or to describe a superior ability to respond to an escalated situation. The term is sometimes used to describe the instinctive play of certain football players.[1]