You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

On 14/01/2024 at 16:03, Jennings said:

Opinion on VAR is split into two camps. 

Those who think it is more important to get a decision correct. Those who think it's more important to enjoy the sport.

There is a third camp, to whom I will leave it to Upton Sincliair to describe: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” I'm not being flippant. The recording of the Odegaard handball was most revealing, by which I mean...there were two of them! Two of them, and they agreed with each other that it wasn't a penalty! If you picked at random from every Arsenal fan on the planet, you'd have to do it a million times to find two who thought that wasn't handball, yet we have two officials who are paid to get this right who got it wrong. As Mook points out, we've had over four years of lived experience to see it can't be relied on to fix mistakes. For the reason why this can't be acknowledged, I refer you to the aforementioned Mr Sinclair.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, deiseach said:

There is a third camp, to whom I will leave it to Upton Sincliair to describe: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” I'm not being flippant. The recording of the Odegaard handball was most revealing, by which I mean...there were two of them! Two of them, and they agreed with each other that it wasn't a penalty! If you picked at random from every Arsenal fan on the planet, you'd have to do it a million times to find two who thought that wasn't handball, yet we have two officials who are paid to get this right who got it wrong. As Mook points out, we've had over four years of lived experience to see it can't be relied on to fix mistakes. For the reason why this can't be acknowledged, I refer you to the aforementioned Mr Sinclair.

not just his salary, don't forget the trips to sunnier destinations his boss likes to book the good boys on and the pocket money that comes with it. 

• Upvote 3

Fun fact…. Watching the latest Webb /Owen shitshow I discerned a vaguely scouse accent coming from the VAR ref for, I think, the Burnley Luton game. Checked it out, it was Peter Bankes. He was apparently born in Lancashire, resides on Merseyside and is affiliated to the Liverpool FA. And in 5 years on the PGMOL list has never refereed a Liverpool match. As opposed to certain other Manc refs who frequently referee the Manc teams. Btw, Tierney is on VAR yet again for us on Sunday, he must be involved in close on half our games in some capacity. 

• Upvote 4

They'll wait till city are 3 nil up before they give them a bad decision so it evens out at the end of the season on paper, meanwhile there's 2 absolute clear cut mistakes that have and could have cost us points and in leagues that are so tight their responses have been criminal.

4 hours ago, DaveT said:

Fun fact…. Watching the latest Webb /Owen shitshow I discerned a vaguely scouse accent coming from the VAR ref for, I think, the Burnley Luton game. Checked it out, it was Peter Bankes. He was apparently born in Lancashire, resides on Merseyside and is affiliated to the Liverpool FA. And in 5 years on the PGMOL list has never refereed a Liverpool match. As opposed to certain other Manc refs who frequently referee the Manc teams. Btw, Tierney is on VAR yet again for us on Sunday, he must be involved in close on half our games in some capacity. 

I might be wrong, but I think @Paulie Dangerously knows him and mentioned on here before he's a bitter bloo. 

As shit as this was I hadn't let it annoy me that much as we scored reasonably close to it anyway. That video has rightly pissed me off. The ref is screaming at the VAR guys, they are in no doubt what outcome he was demanding. The way they were so submissive to him defeats the entire purpose of the whole shit show. The very idea of VAR to give refs visibility of things they didn't see, not slow down and zoom in on things the did see. This is the perfect example, the ref is too far away and looking through players, he has no clear view. To then allow a guy that hasn't seen it dictate the outcome to people that have is astonishing. Anyway not to worry Michael, we'll see you again next week where we can explain away some more decisions that a team of 6 professionals got wrong. 

SmartSelect_20240118_074114_Chrome.jpg

On 18/01/2024 at 07:57, No2 said:

As shit as this was I hadn't let it annoy me that much as we scored reasonably close to it anyway. That video has rightly pissed me off. The ref is screaming at the VAR guys, they are in no doubt what outcome he was demanding. The way they were so submissive to him defeats the entire purpose of the whole shit show. The very idea of VAR to give refs visibility of things they didn't see, not slow down and zoom in on things the did see. This is the perfect example, the ref is too far away and looking through players, he has no clear view. To then allow a guy that hasn't seen it dictate the outcome to people that have is astonishing. Anyway not to worry Michael, we'll see you again next week where we can explain away some more decisions that a team of 6 professionals got wrong. 

He's actually sprinting though tbf and trying to talk at the same time. 

On 18/01/2024 at 07:57, No2 said:

What Howard Webb tells us after that is that is the type of incident that referees think shouldn't be handball. His only statement on the matter really was something like "and it would seem from the reaction, those in the game think this should be handball". He doesn't say they got it wrong. In fact he doesn't really say anything aside from a few words we'd heard in the immediate aftermath of the incident. 

As I always say, VAR is there to help the refereeing team deliver the outcome they want. Nothing is more clear with every single one of these shows that Webb does. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Was there even one VAR referral last night? 
I watched with the commentary turned off.

There was no VAR in use. Hasn’t been all through the competition due to some non-Prem teams being in the comp still.

And it’s been Miles better for it.

but now it’s PL v PL in the final, VAR will be in action again, so they can ruin it if they want to.

• Upvote 2

I find it bizarre that people want to get rid of VAR but not the people who've made the terrible decisions.

Like get rid of VAR and for our next game have Darren England referee us with no oversight whatsoever.

It's the PGMOL and referees who are not fit for purpose not VAR..

1 hour ago, Dicko said:

I find it bizarre that people want to get rid of VAR but not the people who've made the terrible decisions.

Like get rid of VAR and for our next game have Darren England referee us with no oversight whatsoever.

It's definitely VAR.

6 hours ago, Dicko said:

VAR is awful the world over. It's an abomination which should be scrapped. Then once it's scrapped, the debate about the poor quality of referees and how they can be improved can begin. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

VAR is awful the world over. It's an abomination which should be scrapped. Then once it's scrapped, the debate about the poor quality of referees and how they can be improved can begin. 

Surely it's the other way around though.

These people are making routinely piss poor decisions every game var highlights it.

If you go back to the old system these decisions will get masked and any change will be swept under the carpet.