You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TK's Ratings - FA Cup derby Special Edition

Pureblood

Hi there and welcome to the popular TLW website feature, TK's Ratings. 

Liverpool entertained their vastly inferior neighbours, namely Everton, in this fiery third round encounter.  Here is how the rate-me-do shapes up...

1.  Loris Karius.  Largely untested throughout as the visitors mustered a solitary effort on target.  Unfortunately he was caught adjusting his feet which resulted in him making no attempt to save it.  It was a well placed shot by Sigurdsson but could he have possibly done better?   Other than that, he dealt with the predictable aerial stuff well and earned a clattering from Virgil for his troubles.  Came off his line to sweep up to good effect, notably after some cajoling from Virgil in a couple of instances. 

12.  Joe Gomez.  An excellent first-half display saw him draw a foul from Wazza to produce a yellow card for the Everton man.  He whipped in a great cross to set up James Milner for a decent chance, but it was not converted.  Could have done better with a very presentable header but his effort was powder-puff.  He tired in the second half and Klopp withdrew him in the 76th minute after he had dwelt too long on the ball to gift away a free-kick.  Overall, for the time he was on the pitch, he was very confident and assured.  7

32.  Joel Matip.  Played in his favoured position of right centre-back and looked steady throughout with only one slight mishap.  With the visitors posing little attacking threat he coasted through the game.  7

4.  Virgil van Dijk.  A very impressive debut from him.  He oozed confidence and his aerial dominance came to the fore when Everton launched it long towards Calvert-Lewin and Bolasie.  He pretty much cleaned up in the air and his distribution was spot on with some accurate long range passes.  At the other end he capped off his performance with the winning goal, showing determination to get on the end of a beautifully shaped corner from the Ox.  The only blot on his copybook was a weak header straight at Pickford when he was very well placed to score.  No matter, he saved the best until last.  8

26.  Andrew Robertson.  Had his work cut out dealing with Everton's best player on the night, Yannick Bolasie, and coped admirably making a number of decisive interventions and recovery tackles.  Produced a peach of a cross searching for the Ox but the former Arsenal man's lack of height meant he could not get on the end of it.  7

23.  Emre Can.  He looked a bit tired from the Christmas schedule but acquitted himself well in the main.  Had a lot of work to get through as the visitors enjoyed a decent but ultimately fruitless spell of possession in the first half.  Made no impact going forward and appeared to be involved in a bit of a spat with someone from the crowd in the second half.  Not his best display but he did enough on the night.  6

7.  James Milner.  Excellent work-rate and always available for a pass, particularly in the first half.  He supported Robertson well on the left flank and scored his first goal of the season by sending Pickford the wrong way from the spot.  Nicely done.  Found himself isolated in the left back position for Sigurdsson's goal but there was not much he could do about it.  Withdrawn in the second half when Klopp made a double substitution on the 76th minute.

19.   Sadio Mané.  He consistently found space by dropping off to run at the Everton defence but seldom did anything useful with the ball, aside from one mazy dribble in the second half from which he was unlucky not to pick out a teammate with his final ball.  I would like to have seen him run in behind more in the absence of Salah.  Shot high and wide when well placed in the first half.  A forgettable performance from him.  5

20.  Adam Lallana.  Appeared to be well off the pace and lacking match fitness for the opening half hour until he suddenly sprung into life and earned a penalty with some nice chest control.  It was not a penalty for me, but the Karmic ramifications of Calvert-Lewin's tumble in the league game came home to roost.  Hah.  That seemed to give him confidence and the adrenaline of his hand in the opening goal seemed to give him his mojo back, as his pressing game returned.  In the second half he tired and he could only produce a weak effort when put through by the Ox.  Withdrawn in the 69th minute, it would seem he still needs a few games to get fully up to speed. 6

21.  Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.  The Ox had a strange night.  In open play he looked like he had never kicked a football before on some occasions and gave away possession cheaply numerous times.  However, from set-pieces he produced several exquisite deliveries to create our best opportunities in the second half.  What I like about him is his persistence.  He never lets his head drop.  6

9.  Roberto Firmino.  In the first half his hold up play and distribution was not up to its usual high standard, although the work-rate was always there.  Improved in the second half with some nice one touch play to bring others into the game and gave the Reds some forward momentum.  6

Substitutes

5.  Georginio Wijnaldum.  The Knitting Needle was introduced in the 70th minute in place of a tired Adam Lallana to give us a bit more energy in the middle.  Made one wayward pass as he was finding the pace of the game but did okay otherwise, covering Robertson well at left back when the Scotsman found himself high up the pitch.  6

66.  Trent Alexander-Arnold.  Had little time to make any impact going forward when he replaced Joe Gomez.  Untroubled defensively.  6

29.  Dominic Solanke.  Won one free kick and gave one away, picking up a needless yellow card in the process.  5

Manager

Jurgen Klopp.  Forced into resting Coutinho due to his dalliances with Barcelona and also Salah, who was carrying a knock and had traveled to Africa to pick up his award.  He needs to find a way of getting runners in behind when Salah is absent, as everything was played in front of Everton and the goals both came from set-piece situations.  Still, a derby win is a derby win so well done, Jurgen.  7

TK421 © 2018 - All right reserved

• Upvote 14

Good man

Need a distraction from the bullshit

Though i think Robertson deserved a 8 with some of the 7 given out.

Yeah it seems odd that Matip gets the same as Robertson, who was much more involved.  But I just didn't see Joel do much wrong, so couldn't mark him down to a six.  And for all Robertson's lively play ultimately it didn't lead to much from an attacking point of view.  He is behind TAA in that part of his game, I think. 

He did really well to deal with the threat of Bolasie, though.   

I think scoring a derby late winner on your debut deserves a 9. But smart move save the 9 for when he scores the winner against Manchester City.

He would have got a nine if he had converted his other header.  But he didn't, so he gets an eight.  I am stingy with my marks.

Pretty much agree although Robertson was my MotM with a 9/10. Think AOC was 8/10 second half too. But 4 first half, so 6 is about right.

I agree it was a close call with Robertson.  Had he beaten Pickford at his near post that would have pushed him over the line, but in the end it was Virgil with the decisive intervention and that earns him the 8/MOTM for me.  Especially considering it was his debut.  

It's a great run of form from Robertson, though, and a nice problem for Jurgen to have when Alberto M is fit again.  

- I think Robertson deserves a higher rating than Matip and Gomez. He was simply superb.

- I think Ox deserves a higher rating than Mane and Firmino. In the second half most of our attack came through him.

Other than the above I agree with your ratings. Great work.

Rating the ratings:

TK421- After such a long time away from the ratings coalface, Teek’s analysis of Friday could have been slightly rusty. However, he called most things right, though the relatively low mark for the excellent Robertson was surprising.

He’ll be delighted to have gotten a full set of ratings under his belt - as will boss Dave U - and I think we’ll see even better performances in the weeks and months ahead. A solid 7.5.

• Upvote 5

Rating the ratings:

TK421- After such a long time away from the ratings coalface, Teek’s analysis of Friday could have been slightly rusty. However, he called most things right, though the relatively low mark for the excellent Robertson was surprising.

He’ll be delighted to have gotten a full set of ratings under his belt - as will boss Dave U - and I think we’ll see even better performances in the weeks and months ahead. A solid 7.5.

I'm concerned that, because it was a derby that he got through it on adrenaline.

Will he be about to rate us, on a wet Tuesday night in Huddersfield?

I don't know. I just don't know.