You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2017/18 edition.

Trumo

City will probably walk away with the league if they have not already. Many of the teams outside of us, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs will be beat in their heads before they get on their own park to play them never mind away. It is like us in our pomp and United and Chelsea to a lesser extent in theirs. Does not mean City will find it so easy in the latter stages of the Champions League. With the huge amount of money invested in them over a billion quid isnt it they should win the CL more than once in the next 5 years. The question is will they.

Guardiola is obviously a very good manager, and when allied with the sort of financial power Man City have, you get what we’re seeing. He took a top squad that already had a recent record of winning, due to enormous financial backing, got a good look at them up close, then dropped £200M on it to bring it up to snuff. And there will be plenty more spent in due course.

If he wins the Prem then he matches what they’ve already had at Man City in recent years. Whoop de do. He/they need to win the CL, and even then the same criticism applies and it’s really Abu Dhabi’s victory.

I’m impressed, to a point, because they are only doing what they should be doing.

Guest Pistonbroke

Poll twisting himself inside out on BT trying to justify the ref's performance today. Ferdinand and Lampard didnt agree with him. 

Pawson was utter shite today, and should be relegated to the Championship for a period of time. Imagine if he reffed like that against United? 

Guardiola is obviously a very good manager, and when allied with the sort of financial power Man City have, you get what we’re seeing. He took a top squad that already had a recent record of winning, due to enormous financial backing, got a good look at them up close, then dropped £200M on it to bring it up to snuff. And there will be plenty more spent in due course.

If he wins the Prem then he matches what they’ve already had at Man City in recent years. Whoop de do. He/they need to win the CL, and even then the same criticism applies and it’s really Abu Dhabi’s victory.

I’m impressed, to a point, because they are only doing what they should be doing.

He's spent way over 200 mill. He's spent 250 this summer alone hasn't he?

I don't give a fuck what this city team does.

As far as I'm concerned 2018 will not have an entry for league winner.

Some nasty rumour flying about on twitter about Silva missing the game through “personal issues” Id rather not repeat them incase any of them turn out true. De Bruyne done a ✌️[emoji115] sign for him and their pic in the changing rooms they all had Silva 21 shirts turned round. Hope it’s bullshit and was just because his wife gave birth, he’s a cracking footballer and would be shame for him to be out for a while.

You voted we'd win the league this season.

De Bruyne is a fantastic footballer

I never considered him as a proper CM until tonight, always thought he was AM or a wide player. He’s a sensational central midfielder, albeit a team like Barca would go to ground holding their foot in agony when he lunges towards them.

But, yeah, that’s the new Gerrard right there.

Really not seeing these Gerrard comparisons. If anything, and I don't know the age demographic on here, he reminds me more of Chris Waddle than anyone else. Admittedly there is a bit more work rate in him, but he carries that almost languid demeanor that Waddle had and then bang, he's away. Add to that, his eye for a goal, a screamer of a shot and a decent turn of pace, and its a Wadddle all over. But a 2017 version. 

The way De Bruyne has been handled by Guardiola is the reason why coaches like him and Klopp are so great to the game and it's entertainment.

Most everyone else would have De Bruyne playing in a front three or in front of two holders. Instead he basically has a free role in midfield and City have the ability to pick another attacker. 

The way De Bruyne has been handled by Guardiola is the reason why coaches like him and Klopp are so great to the game and it's entertainment.

Most everyone else would have De Bruyne playing in a front three or in front of two holders. Instead he basically has a free role in midfield and City have the ability to pick another attacker.

It’s because he has great work ethic that he could even be considered as a Midfielder, I always thought of him as No.10 or Right Midfielder in a sort of Beckham way but he’s so much more. If you think of kind of similar players they’d get hammered playing as a conventional Centre Mid, same way as Coutinho can play there because he works hard off the ball.

Imagine Ozil, Hazard or Eriksen being just a normal CM with responsibilities add to that Pogba, Alli, Ramsey and sometimes Fabregas who all struggle to play with defensive responsibilities and they’d all be a liability defensively. De Bruyne and Silva aren’t.

It’s because he has great work ethic that he could even be considered as a Midfielder, I always thought of him as No.10 or Right Midfielder in a sort of Beckham way but he’s so much more. If you think of kind of similar players they’d get hammered playing as a conventional Centre Mid, same way as Coutinho can play there because he works hard off the ball.

Imagine Ozil, Hazard or Eriksen being just a normal CM with responsibilities add to that Pogba, Alli, Ramsey and sometimes Fabregas who all struggle to play with defensive responsibilities and they’d all be a liability defensively. De Bruyne and Silva aren’t.

That's down to the manager. Under Guardiola, the likes of Ozil, Pogba, Eriksen etc.. would be working much harder because that's what he demands. Every elite pro is fit and has the capacity to work hard, it just depends whether they can be coaxed into working by the manager. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Was that Luan fella playing for Gremio? If so, how did he look? I heard whispers a wee while back we were running the rule over him.

Yeah, played as a CM for the full game. Real had that much of the ball the game passed Gremio by. I didn't have an eye on him, or indeed the game fully the whole time, so it would be a bit unfair of me to judge his performance mate. What I did notice is that they just tried a very physical game and were pretty cynical at times. 

Gollum, predictably, getting credit for West Ham's improved form. Mrs O'T puts it down to Adrián replacing Hart (which wasn't the manager's choice). She reckons he's much better at organising his defence, which radiates confidence throughout the team, allowing inconsistent players like Lanzini and Arnoutovic to get their mojo back.

Looking at MOTD, though, Stoke are fucking awful.