You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke(a) match thread

LFC 6 Times

Just got back from the game. Fuck me.. Stoke is fucking rough. Took the bus from the Brittania to the station, some 50 year old burly neanderthal with his two younger boys tried to start me and my mate, calling us scouse gobshites... probably because my mate sounds a bit 'northern' (he's from Blackpool). My mate just kept telling him to calm down, and the man kept going, in front of his lads... as we were walking away, he told him "just because you lost 2-1", and they went mental... him and the two boys... when we got off the bus they were waiting for us, the dad tried to kick my mate and missed, and we were just laughing it off, and all of a sudden another random knobhead tried to take a swing at my mate, and he missed and fell face first into the floor... and we just continued walking... dumbfounded by how surreal the whole situation was. The state of the fucking place.

Other than than, a great win. Horrible first half, but excellent second half. Can and Wijnaldum bossed it. Firmino and Coutinho were too much for Stoke to handle.

Yeah Klopp deserves credit today...he acted and acted decisively and in good time - going against the 'stats men' as well and making a footballing call.

I don’t agree. Kloppo fucked up initially, sorted it out halfway through and was lucky it was enough for us to win it. Needed two insane saves from his goalkeeper to achieve victory.

His starting line up and system today was almost as braindead as the Matip substitution 3 days ago. Thankfully he seems to be able to realize when he’s fucking up, and did well to change it at half-time.

Kloppo’s super defensive nonsense where our front men are left isolated miles in front of the rest of the team must stop.

• Upvote 1

I don’t agree. Kloppo fucked up initially, sorted it out halfway through and was lucky it was enough for us to win it. Needed two insane saves from his goalkeeper to achieve victory.

His starting line up and system today was almost as braindead as the Matip substitution 3 days ago. Thankfully he seems to be able to realize when he’s fucking up, and did well to change it at half-time.

Kloppo’s super defensive nonsense where our front men are left isolated miles in front of the rest of the team must stop.

If he's fucked up something, which I think he has to some degree, it's entering the season with a paper thin squad.

Not starting two players that obviously were far from ready for 90 minutes is hardly fucking it up.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

He should've played Moreno as opposed to Alexander-Arnold. The kid played okay, but Clyne was brutal as a left wing back. He provided no width whatsoever.

I'm glad Moreno got nowhere near the pitch, Clyne was shit, but he at least he covered for Klavan a few times when the shit Ragnar was caught way out of position. Moreno would have still been in the opponents half whining about something. Clyne isn't a left wing back though. 

He didn't really fuck up today, Coutinho was ill and Firmino had a groin injury. They didn't start for them reasons and his thoughts could have possibly been to keep it tight with the team he selected then bring them on to win the game in the last half hour but was forced into it slightly earlier because we was 1-0 down.

Guest Pistonbroke

Our match is on third on MOTD. Spurs game first, chavs second, us third, City game, hammers v swans, Baggies v Saints and last is Boro v Burnley. 

He didn't really fuck up today, Coutinho was ill and Firmino had a groin injury. They didn't start for them reasons and his thoughts could have possibly been to keep it tight with the team he selected then bring them on to win the game in the last half hour but was forced into it slightly earlier because we was 1-0 down.

This.

There's still no reason to start the match with a defensive 5-3-2 formation. The team was so stretched there were no support for our attackers at all. Even without Cou and Firmino he could and should apporach the game differently. This 5-3-2 nonsense has to stop. It's just basic sense and I'm baffled Kloppo went for this after Wednesdays collape against B'mouth

Well done changing it in time but still lucky to get away with it.

Guest Pistonbroke

Our away support today was great - even when we were losing the noise coming from the away end was decent.

Yep, they were great as usual. Wish the vocal support from the home crowd was on that level. 

Lovren is ace in the vast majority of games. He gets caught out from time to time, but find me a defender who doesn't.

I love him; quality defender, quality guy.

Totally disagree with this. He's nowhere near the level we should be aiming for. Just look at that situation right after our second goal, leading up to the second of Mignolets two miracle saves today. Abysmal defending that is, and quite typical of Lovren.

Edit: The quality guy party I'm fully behind, he does seem like a decent, honest, sound character.

• Upvote 1

Play him in a settled defence with Sakho - he looks like a beast.

Play him in a settled defence with Matip - he looks like a beast.

Play him in a makeshift back line, where nobody really looks like they know what they're supposed to be doing - he looks dodgy.

His bad games really are few and far between, and they happen to coincide when we chop and change everything at the back. Shock.

He's ace, and nobody will convince me otherwise.