You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

It's not really delusional. Spurs are second in the league and are on an upward curve as a club despite generally spending less than 5 other clubs and selling just as much as buying.

Sevilla are fighting for the title among Atleti, Barca and Real and win trophies almost every season despite their transfer record being 15m Euros.

We could absolutely compete with our current level of spending.

This, it's not about buying the most expensive player money can buy *cough pogba cough* it's about buying the right player for us. I will put my trust in Klopp this summer and see what he does (obviously having to adjust expectations depending on what comp if any we are in next season.

Liverpool target Naby Keita collapsed after RB Leipzig's 1-0 defeat to Wolfsburg on Saturday.

The 22-year-old collapsed after the game at the Red Bull Arena and was taken straight to hospital.

Keita reportedly suffered circulatory problems, is being kept in hospital overnight as a precuation.

RB Leipzig are yet to comment on the incident, but reports in German media have claimed that the Guinea-born midfielder is conscious following the incident.

Got to wonder if its a heart issue. You do seem to find a fair few African players have had issues over the years

Hope Keita is OK. If it is a heart issue (and if the club is saying circulatory then that's what it leads me to think), I wonder what it is that was undetectable to the various tests he presumably would have had when he signed for Leipzig?

There have been a few that have happened, and I thought one of the outcomes was much better tests/screenings. Any cardiologists on TLW? I'm wondering if there are some things that can't be detected until it happens?

It's not really delusional. Spurs are second in the league and are on an upward curve as a club despite generally spending less than 5 other clubs and selling just as much as buying.

Sevilla are fighting for the title among Atleti, Barca and Real and win trophies almost every season despite their transfer record being 15m Euros.

We could absolutely compete with our current level of spending. 

Are we talking about the Tottenham whose only trophy since 1991 is a League Cup (which in itself was won a decade ago)?

They are a well run club, but could quite easily (and feasibly) finish outside the top four this year. In fact, they could fall out the top four in the next round of games. They are not my measure of success.

It is delusional. Sure, we could do a Leicester, but if doing a Leicester was so achievable it wouldn't be called 'doing a Leicester'. Our current level of spending has left us with bringing on the likes of Woodburn to win us matches. It will allow us to compete, sure, but will it allow us to win?

I highly doubt it.

• Upvote 1

Are we talking about the Tottenham whose only trophy since 1991 is a League Cup (which in itself was won a decade ago)?

They are a well run club, but could quite easily (and feasibly) finish outside the top four this year. In fact, they could fall out the top four in the next round of games. They are not my measure of success.

It is delusional. Sure, we could do a Leicester, but if doing a Leicester was so achievable it wouldn't be called 'doing a Leicester'. Our current level of spending has left us with bringing on the likes of Woodburn to win us matches. It will allow us to compete, sure, but will it allow us to win?

I highly doubt it.

You said we couldn't compete near the top without large spending which is clearly false as there are examples of teams who do just that all over the world. Now if you'd said it's impossible to win trophies year after year without spending massive money then I would've agreed with you. 

You said we couldn't compete near the top without large spending which is clearly false as there are examples of teams who do just that all over the world. Now if you'd said it's impossible to win trophies year after year without spending massive money then I would've agreed with you. 

Hmm, semantics have been the death of me. Scrolling back, I said it's delusional to think we 'could compete' - what I meant to say was, its delusional to think we 'could compete and win'.

To be fair to myself, the entire purpose of competing is to win (or at least it is in my mind), which is probably why I would never associate the word with Tottenham.

I don't particularly feel the need to argue the point that we need to spend some money because you'd think it was fairly self-evident.

Liverpool target Naby Keita collapsed after RB Leipzig's 1-0 defeat to Wolfsburg on Saturday.

The 22-year-old collapsed after the game at the Red Bull Arena and was taken straight to hospital.

Keita reportedly suffered circulatory problems, is being kept in hospital overnight as a precuation.

RB Leipzig are yet to comment on the incident, but reports in German media have claimed that the Guinea-born midfielder is conscious following the incident.

Got to wonder if its a heart issue. You do seem to find a fair few African players have had issues over the years

It's because he is 47 just 40 years younger than yakubu

Keita collapsed after game today.

This is a horrible thing to even think but it might not be a bad thing for our pursuit of him.  

Obviously not good for him (but probably not that serious in the long-term) but it might be just enough to give Bayern pause seeing as they have their pick pretty much of anyone in the world.  I think our best chance is to sell him on the chance to have more playing time in a team on the up here rather than sitting on the bench a good deal at Bayern (and he chose Leipzig over us last summer for precisely this reason) but if Bayern were to cool a bit that could only help our case.

Said they'd be willing to pay up to £25m. Generous of them.

I would imagine the medical team will insist that Carroll definitely goes first as they have learned all they can from him and they don't want him taking up space on the medical table while they carry out experiments on their new toy.

Would you pay 30m for a striker with the grand total of 14 premier league goals in almost 3 full seasons?

I wouldn't, but someone will.  If we got 30m for Benteke then Sturridge is worth 45m.

I think we'll get above 30m in the end.  If we can get 2 or 3 teams bidding for him and his agent does his job then it could even be up around 35m.  He's never worth that, but the market is crazy and someone will talk themselves into thinking "if we can just get him fit ..."