You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Matip's potential Cameroon call up.

niallers

This is looking like a bit of a dogs breakfast! Two things are needed to break through the mess now and in future:

1. A clear word, in writing, from Matip on his retirement (doesn't look like it has happened)

2. Someone testing this legally, as it doesn't seem right from an employment law perspective that the international federation can stop a player from plying his trade for his club just because he doesn't want to play international football. A mini-Bosman legal challenge might be needed to change this.

Agree. Needs a case taking to CAS.

Matip is an employee of the club not, a national FA or FIFA. However, FIFA think they have the overriding power to force someone else's employee to do as they and not the employer, says.

If reports are correct and we do play Matip tomorrow in the cup and Cameroon FA sound off complaining to FIFA, if FIFA sanction the player and club I would hope the club would immediately go to CAS (or, if first having to appeal to the FA do that then go to CAS).

No ambiguity about it. FIFA have just said "sort it with Cameroon FA not us." The arsewipes, they're supposed to be the worldwide administrators.

You think the regs' are clear? No chance. FIFA only selectively quoted them as well missing out the part about players who do not want to play or have retired. Proper bastards FIFA and the Cameroon FA can fuck off as well.

What narks me about all this is that not one of the papers reporting this seem to be picking up on the fact that Matip was not selected in the final Cameroon squad.....

Surely this is the key issue here, he would surely have to be selected in that final squad and then refuse to play for any kind of sanctions to be imposed.

Him indicating he didn't want to play before the final squad selection to me can't be binding....It is like me saying I won't pay my council tax bill prior to receiving it - there is bugger all they can do it about until I actually fail to pay the demand.

Cameroon never actually sent a final demand...

Doesn't help that the main Fifa man in the UK is also the head man at the mancs

Not a conflict of interests at all

Good old David Gill.

I'm even more pissed off now. It would have been ideal to bring him on to counter the ale house shite from Mourinho.

I have nor followed this closely but I am sure the club won't play him if its in clear breach of FA rules. I read its likely they will play him tomorrow so I'm not overly concerned we will be expelled,If there is some grey area then it could force the issue but they won't boot us out especially if we have flagged in up to the FA and had no clear guidance

Sometimes it feels like our club is a test case for every conceivable loophole. How often have we been left in limbo while lawyers and the game's authorities figure out what to do?

CAF (Africa's equivalent of UEFA) make most of their money off the back of the Cup of Nations which is the main reason it is held every 2 years. They bring in sponsorship money they otherwise wouldn't get, and that is despite it being proven time and time again that the quality of the football (and often the quality of the organisation of tournaments) leaves a lot to be desired.

As is the case everywhere though, the chase for cash supercedes everything. The African tournament should be enjoyed for its colour and its idiosyncracies but it is just a massive ballache full of homogenised physical football played slap bang in the middle of a busy European season.

Jurgen saying FIFA are making a ruling on Friday.

More annoyed that LFC medical staff don't seem to have any idea what to do with this 'niggling' injury that has has been going on since he got here 7 months ago.

This is FIFA. Friday they are making a ruling about whether or not they need to make a ruling.  If they need to make a ruling it'll be two more weeks!

Jurgen saying FIFA are making a ruling on Friday.

More annoyed that LFC medical staff don't seem to have any idea what to do with this 'niggling' injury that has has been going on since he got here 7 months ago.

Agreed. Personally think they all need to be sacked, then tarred and feathered.