You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSV Mainz 05 vs Liverpool

Arl arse

Which idiot arranged back to back friendlies on subsequent days? Way to go to deflate any momentum from battering Barcelona.

yep. When I read it a couple of week ago on the fixture list I thought that it was a typo. Stupid idea to have a back to back match with travel involved as well a week before the season starts.

We've played friendlies 2 days in a row?

Who the fuck though that was a good idea.

It's not that unusual for clubs to schedule 2 games in two days. However, they normally have 2 entirely different squads and don't send all the coaching staff to both games. The more high-profile game will be in the care of the first-team coach while the U21 coach might look after the other game. It's bizarre that we involved everybody in games which took place in different countries within 24 hours of each other. I think the Barca game had been scheduled earlier this year as part of that International Champions Cup bollocks (which we finished 2nd in by the way, behind PSG), and the Mainz game was arranged more recently. It could be a deliberate ploy by Klopp and his staff to keep everybody on their toes, like Zobel sending his unit to run up and down Currahee after stuffing their faces with spaghetti first. Although he did that as revenge for being pranked and made to look like a tit.

• Upvote 1

Strange one to play again the next day, but if it gives a few more a chance then good. Obviously Mainz were well up for it, as we were against Barcelona. On our end it was a bit of a dampener, but then on the other hand, as others have said, it reinforces the message that there's work to be done.

Bring on the Gunners. A week's rest and training and then we'll be raring to go. Because they are a good team hopefully they will come out and go at us, which should give us the space to do our thing.

Anyway, I'm glad Klopp got to go back home, and in a funny way, I'm glad Mainz won, as they had a big day and for us, after Barcelona, it reminded us about the work yet to be done.

Onwards and upwards.