You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Georginio Wijnaldum

Unrighteous

For all the criticism of our midfield, we've been very dominant in terms of possession and territory in all our games this season so they must be doing something right.

Agreed.  Very brave making an observation like that around these parts.  The traditional response is to say the midfield is like a sieve, we need four big bastard DMs and Hendo is shit.  

I like him. He looks like a number 10 no doubt about it, but he's got great energy and he'll weigh in with more goals and assists than anyone else in midfield I reckon. I really used to like wee Joe, but Wij is looking like a good upgrade.

Not sure why people were moaning about him. Supposedly he downed tools at Newcastle which is never on, but that's hardly a shocker when most of the team did. I prefer to judge players on what they do for Liverpool

• Upvote 1

i thought he had a really good game last night, tidy energetic and good use of the ball. i dont think he can play against teams that will battle in the middle but in more open games should become a good asset.

I agree he played well last night but disagree with the battling comment. On paper matic and kante is probably the toughest midfield we will play against this year, and as a 3 we coped with it comfortably

People rave about Dembele at Spurs now, but I remember when he first went there and he was largely ignored as a luxury player. Same player as Wijnaldum, just beautiful machines in the middle of the park capable of linking play in a variety of ways. However, don't expect them to blam 30 yard goals in every month, or beat 4 men for an assist. They will only be as good as the players around them.

Bit like Xavi, would have looked half the player if he was playing for MK Dons.

Big improvement of Joe Allen.  It's strange having a manager that signs players that actually improves the team.

Midfield hasn't shaped up the way I'd have liked it too but it's proving me wrong game by game.

Agree with this. The more I see the midfield the more I see why we didnt necessarily go after a DCM. Winning back the ball is the responsibility of every player on the field. In fact, at a very basic level, the higher up the field the dispossession happens the higher the chance of scoring from that dispossession, hence the requirement for our forward three to do as much running as the midfield three.

People rave about Dembele at Spurs now, but I remember when he first went there and he was largely ignored as a luxury player. Same player as Wijnaldum, just beautiful machines in the middle of the park capable of linking play in a variety of ways. However, don't expect them to blam 30 yard goals in every month, or beat 4 men for an assist. They will only be as good as the players around them.

Good points, but the bit in bold is a bit too Rodgers for me.

• Upvote 1

I likened Wijnaldum to a modern, faster version of Ronnie Whelan on another thread. Whelan was a very good player but he never got the sort of plaudits some of his midfield contemporaries did. At first, when I watched Whelan I thought, "what does he do?" (Apart from the odd screamer, like the curler from the edge of the box in the cup final). But he grew on me, and over time became an integral part of a class midfield. He was always available for a pass and he moved well, and moved the ball well.

I think Wijnaldum is a modern version, with added pace to open the play up on the turn.

The argument has been made that football is largely a "weak link" sport, where instead of relying on a top player or two to carry you that most success is down to who has the strongest weak link, or can find a way to mask their weak link the best.

Not sure I agree completely, because we saw in 2014 how one world-class player can elevate everyone around him to another level, but if it is true then Wijnaldum is the kind of signing that makes so much sense.

He's never, ever going to be one of the best players in our side.  But you can just about start to see that as a cog, as one of the players in the midfield that can step into any one of 2-3 roles and knit play together, he can be a good player for us.  He adds goals (well, not yet, but his history suggests he's capable) above the likes of Allen, is very mobile, works hard and seems fairly intelligent.  Greatness may elude him but if he's our weak link in the midfield, then we should be very strong indeed.