You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wimbledon 2016

Bjornebye

If Alistair Brownlee wins gold at the Olympics he'll go down as the greatest short course Triathlete in history, how can Murray winning a handful of grand slams and not even being the best in his Sport of his era compare with that?

Yeah, it's almost as if there's a wider context to consider, isn't it?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

11 Grand Slam finals, 3 Grand Slam wins, finals of all four majors. In an era that has seen probably the best three players to ever play.

This boy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Federer? Beat Murray? In this form? Nah, I do t think so. Murray would do what he did to him at the olympics.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are three of the best players the game has ever seen, so for Murray to compete to the level he has done in this era is a monumental achievement.  I don't think he is miserable either, he comes across like he has a very dry sense of humour. 

I think he is the match of Djokovic, talent wise, it's just that he tends to get more peaks and troughs in a match, whereas Djokovic just stays at the same level emotionally.  

Federer is the best ever though. Always made it look so effortless and pulled off a cream blazer with panache.

• Upvote 3

I think he is the match of Djokovic, talent wise, it's just that he tends to get more peaks and troughs in a match, whereas Djokovic just stays at the same level emotionally.  

It's interesting that you say that. I think if there was one discernible difference to his game in recent months, it's his intensity. He just seems to be 'on it' for almost every point of a match. Only losing 2 sets in winning a grand slam is illustrative of that.

The best thing about Murray is that he's a total anti-hero to the British tennis establishment: a sport which for so long in this country has been the preserve of cucumber sandwich-munching, Pimms-quaffing upper middle class Home Counties chinless wonders now has a dour Scot as its greatest ever player. Long may he continue to fuck them up with his unsmiling sternness.

And fuck climbing up into the family enclosure when you win njackets. Absolute melt behaviour that. He should lob his racket into the royal box and start yelling.

Murray-Andy.jpg

"Are you not entertained!? Is this not why you were here!?" *Spits*

Fucking hero.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting that you say that. I think if there was one discernible difference to his game in recent months, it's his intensity. He just seems to be 'on it' for almost every point of a match. Only losing 2 sets in winning a grand slam is illustrative of that.

Yeah i can't argue with that, mate.  Lendl seems to bring that out in him, apart from one blip he has definitely been "on it" for the whole of Queens and Wimbledon. I thought he was starting to let Tsonga get the better of him but he absolutely destroyed him in that final set. I know Tsonga's fitness may have played a part, but you could tell Murray's mindset going into that set was geared towards "i will not, can not lose this" 

I used to play a bit of tennis when I was younger, my Grandparents both got MBEs for services to the sport, they made it more inclusive where I grew up & all the kids used to go to the courts every summer to play tennis, Football & to look up girls skirts.

Anyway, one of the girls I used to coach a bit went on to greater things only to have her tennis career cut short by injury, she was about the same age as Andy Murray, played in the same tournaments, went to the same tennis camps etc, she reckons him, his brother & their mum were a set of complete & utter bastards & butter wouldn't melt in her mouth as well so I have no reason to doubt her.

Having said that, she roots for him in every tournament as do I, he'll go down as one of the greatest sportsmen Scotland has ever produced & if he's a bit of a twat along the way, then fair enough, I think sometimes you have to be.

• Upvote 1

Well done Murray. An excellent player who has done really well to win 3 major titles in the same era as Federer, Nadal and Djokovc. He has every chance to add to his total in the next few years.

As for the glum thing, I'd rather have a top player than a top clown. I suspect if you knew him, he'd be sound, but outside that circle he's probably very guarded, which could easily be misinterpreted.