You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can we help get back the Anfield atmosphere?

Mil-ing Around

A few of us discussed this, briefly, as soon as Klopp arrived. I asked the question "how would people react if Klopp called the fans out on the lack of atmosphere"? He sort of did that last night and nobody has yet called him a cheeky cunt, so it seems he has the stature and presence to be able to say such things. Hodgson or Rodgers would have been stoned to death. Personally i think it needed to be done and I'm glad he sort of alluded to it last night. 

I think it's time we try and come together on this and find solutions about how we can change the problem. Maybe if there are good enough suggestions, post it on other forums, make the club aware of it and actually try and be pro active about it?

Something needs to be done, we have one of the best managers in the world and him and the team need all the support they can get right now. I'm sure many would agree that they are trying their heart outs since Klopp came, they might not be good enough but at least they are trying their best. But we don't seem to be doing ours. 

We don't want to lose Klopp because he thinks "these fans don't even give a shit" when the reality of it is, we all do. Even the people who don't sing, they must care too (they still pay their money and go the game) but our shitness for nearly 3 decades has obviously worn them down abit.

Social media is a powerful tool and I'm sure we can use it to our advantage rather than disadvantage for once? There are some smart people on here. I'm sure they know how this stuff works and how best to get the message out there. 

Would be good to get some suggestions/idea's flowing in here and see if anybody has a bright spark and an idea we can run with...

It's the club we all love and we have one of the finest managers in the world, we need to get behind this guy if we want to win the league again.

• Upvote 1

The matchday support at Liverpool (and basically every other Premier League club) needs a massive injection of youth. Ticket prices are so high and the whole thing is so geared towards catering for 'tourists' and fairweather fans, that youngsters cannot afford to go and don't want to be part of a sanitised experience anyway. It's a microcosm of Western society and its chase for cash.

• Upvote 7

I will start the ball rolling as i have a few idea's....

There seems to be many divided groups within our own structure. SOS, different forums etc etc. 

What about regular match goers/stewards/forumites etc standing around the ground with flyers, leaflets, banners etc telling everyone to get behind the manager & team? Just raising awareness and making a point.

You have to sew a seed for it to grow and plant information into peoples heads

Do people think we are too big to sort this out ourselves in terms of actually calling others out at the stadium? By that i mean would it be "embarrassing" for us to do such things as the above because we are Liverpool F.C?

What about helping the club identify the regular song starters in the KOP and Anfield Road and asking them if we could split them up for half a season (maybe even offer them a discount on their season ticket for 1/2 years) and dot them around the ground in all the different stands, and get them to start the songs and make the noise. 

Sometimes i think people in the main stand and centenary don't sing because nobody starts it and they kind of feel stupid singing alone and get shy/embarrassed. Crowd mentality rules, people generally follow the crowd, so if a few hundred started it would encourage more and more to join in. When you go to a concert, if nobody sang, i bet not many else would sing alone. Or they would do it quietly, under their breath. We are known as a very orderly country. Rigged and stiff. Maybe thats why the Germans go nuts and we find it all too embarrassing?

This lead me on to another thought...what if people don't actually know all the words so they can't join in and feel silly? Tourists and day trippers etc could us and the club raise awareness of the songs we sing some how?

What about the club offering free song cards with printed words of every song, YNWA, fields of anfield road etc with every purchase? Atleast it would help new fans sing along. Or what if forums, like this, only let new members join if they could recite all the words to the songs as part of the joining process?

What if we all put it in our signatures for a few months "don't forget to support the team and sing your lungs out when you go to Anfield" and asked other forums to do the same?

It just reminds people what is needed and what is expected. It would start the ball rolling. We have to start somewhere....

Everyone stay until the final whistle, and win, lose or draw, give a rousing YNWA.

Klopp said he felt alone. People were leaving around him and there was a game to be retrieved, with time to do it. It was a direct reference to the club anthem, and Klopp was calling on fans to live up to it.

Obviously a lesser man would have got short shrift, but he has a point. He will be working on the team, and he will be making sure they will be giving every last drop of sweat to the cause. If fans join in that effort, first and foremost by staying until the final whistle, it would be a good start.

Othr things like singing, knowing the words, and possibly even a safe standing area, can all come into focus, but an easy step in the right direction is to stay until that final whistle. Obviously given time there will be more to cheer, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. The team should give the fans something to cheer about and the fans should back the team regardless.

What about the club offering free song cards with printed words of every song, YNWA, fields of anfield road etc with every purchase? Atleast it would help new fans sing along. Or what if forums, like this, only let new members join if they could recite all the words to the songs as part of the joining process?

What the...I don't even. Don't make me come in her.

Couple of simple ideas

Pick players who will give their all for the jersey and who care about what the club means

Don't pick players who lack heart or bottle and who give up when things don't seem to be going well and don't pick players who are professionally incompetent

Its hard to get excited when Joe Allen is on the pitch for example

• Downvote 2

• Stay to the end and sing.
  • Players applaud the ground after the game. Especially celebrate big wins together.

What if the club promised that the players would give their match shirts to the supporters, for a season, who stayed until the end. instead of swapping them with other players?

That would surely see a lot more people stay. Lots of people would want free memorabilia?

• Upvote 1

A few of us discussed this, briefly, as soon as Klopp arrived. I asked the question "how would people react if Klopp called the fans out on the lack of atmosphere"? He sort of did that last night and nobody has yet called him a cheeky cunt, so it seems he has the stature and presence to be able to say such things. Hodgson or Rodgers would have been stoned to death. Personally i think it needed to be done and I'm glad he sort of alluded to it last night. 

I think it's time we try and come together on this and find solutions about how we can change the problem. Maybe if there are good enough suggestions, post it on other forums, make the club aware of it and actually try and be pro active about it?

Something needs to be done, we have one of the best managers in the world and him and the team need all the support they can get right now. I'm sure many would agree that they are trying their heart outs since Klopp came, they might not be good enough but at least they are trying their best. But we don't seem to be doing ours. 

We don't want to lose Klopp because he thinks "these fans don't even give a shit" when the reality of it is, we all do. Even the people who don't sing, they must care too (they still pay their money and go the game) but our shitness for nearly 3 decades has obviously worn them down abit.

Social media is a powerful tool and I'm sure we can use it to our advantage rather than disadvantage for once? There are some smart people on here. I'm sure they know how this stuff works and how best to get the message out there. 

Would be good to get some suggestions/idea's flowing in here and see if anybody has a bright spark and an idea we can run with...

It's the club we all love and we have one of the finest managers in the world, we need to get behind this guy if we want to win the league again.

I called him a cheeky cunt.

• Upvote 2

I don't think this is something that can be achieved by the fans alone, this needs to be a coordinated efforts between the club and the fans.

The club need to reduce prices for younger fans, have a singing section, somehow allowing mates to watch the game together rather than scattered all over the ground... All these things need to be lead by the club and then the fans need to really get onboard.

SoS have done a lot of good work and they need to drive this with the club officials. Klopp would be on board for sure... We need him more than he needs us and we should be doing everything to make sure this world class manager feels we are 100% behind him and his team, as a club and as fans... We might not ever be as great as the Dortmund fans because I think the cultures are totally different but once we get going then we are a force as that title run in showed with fans lining the streets hours before the team bus passed.

• Upvote 1

Bring back Luis.

Couple of simple ideas

Pick players who will give their all for the jersey and who care about what the club means

Don't pick players who lack heart or bottle and who give up when things don't seem to be going well and don't pick players who are professionally incompetent

Its hard to get excited when Joe Allen is on the pitch for example

Wouldn't say Allen lacks heart or bottle tbh. He's a limited player but he's barely featured under Klopp so an odd choice to single out.

Lower ticket prices, fuck off the online sales, free tickets to local schools, cheap beer, make the kop standing room only, first come first serve on general admissions, priority seating for groups of lads etc. Flash messages on the advertising boards encouraging people to fucking make some noise. Find a way to fuck off the aul whinging cunts.

• Upvote 3

Simple, introduce cliffhanger storylines american wrestling style. 30 seconds left, Allen looks side to side to see which horizontal ball is on then bang! The lights go out, Stevie G is back and he's stood above Joe's decapitated corpse and without hesitaion he kicks a sublime 60 yard pass to Benteke who nods home to seal the win only it wasn't the ball he scored with it was Joe's floppy little head. Tune in next week to see what the outcome will be, why is Stevie back, will Joe recover from his decapitation and will he seek vengeance?

The live audience gets treated to a legends 5 a side match after the final bell. Maybe introduce a heel authority figure, im looking at you Vince McAyre.

Oh and big fuck off foam fingers.

• Upvote 7

Lower ticket prices, fuck off the online sales, free tickets to local schools, cheap beer, make the kop standing room only, first come first serve on general admissions, priority seating for groups of lads etc. Flash messages on the advertising boards encouraging people to fucking make some noise. Find a way to fuck off the aul whinging cunts.

Making the Kop general admission would be a brilliant idea. The club wouldn't lose any money as you'd still get a full Kop. The season ticket holders would still be guaranteed a seat but they'd need to get there early if they want their regular seat. Can't see why that would not work. Everyone wins. You have local lads that wouldn't normally get to a game queuing up for hours before the gates opened and sure as fuck they aren't going to go and sit there moaning once they're in especially if they've been waiting for hours. The day trippers wouldn't be arsed as that's too much hassle.

That's the issue fixed in one swoop.

Close the thread.

• Upvote 3

I wish they would allow flares and pyros into the ground. Never understood why all the other leagues have them but here they are a hazard. Remember a few years ago at Fulham away. Fucking amazing!

58e080da3ab662e1545df5d74887b153.jpg

79454aec424ca8061a8b9557370dc41f.jpg

Apart from the lads doing that everybody just moaned and whined about that - the smell, getting on clothes, in eyes etc.

It is also very obvious this was youngish lads off happy als and they aren't together in numbers at anfield - getting them together/in is the first step....problem is these lads are dismissive of 'wools' and 'wools' don't like them - our support is fractured and very different amongst the many demographics - diversity is good, ours is so diverse that it is too diffferent to gel

Apart from the lads doing that everybody just moaned and whined about that - the smell, getting on clothes, in eyes etc.

It is also very obvious this was youngish lads off happy als and they aren't together in numbers at anfield - getting them together/in is the first step....problem is these lads are dismissive of 'wools' and 'wools' don't like them - our support is fractured and very different amongst the many demographics - diversity is good, ours is so diverse that it is too diffferent to gel

Even more reason to have the Kop as general admission.