You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Milner is a quality player. He would walk into any team in the league bar Chelsea and City (he was almost like their 12th man). He is one of the few British/Irish players that I would rate. I'm delighted with this signing, although I am concerned if he is the "marquee signing".

Ings is a young lad with a bit of potential. I thought he looked decent last season. He is a vintage liverpool signing - a shot into the dark when you're chasing the clubhouse leader that could go either way.

Bogdan is a bizarre signing. He's a Championship standard journeyman. Surely, we should be signing someone that can really put Mig under pressure, or a young lad with great potential - I remember a few years back when Shay Given was one of the best keepers in the league and him talking about this young lad at City called Hart who was making him challenge himself every day. Do we rate our young keepers at all? Are they as deserving of a shot in a few games rather than Bogdan?

I'm excited about the links to Kovacic, but I find it hard to think of a reason why Inter would sell one of the most exciting prospects in world football to us for such a low fee. What is the catch?

I think Tevez would sign because he has already won alot of trophies and his primary concern is ££££. He's the ultimate mercanary but he'd be a cracking signing. I look forward to hearing about how he signs for Dinamo Kiev or Zenit St Petersburg.

Maybe they're the Italian version of us and are too thick too learn from their mistakes.

Watching England U21's last night, was very impressed with Luke Garbutt, he's an outstanding prospect at left back. He's out of contract with Everton next month and would likely cost £4m in compo. He's like Luke Shaw from 12 months ago, that sort of quality, his deliveries from out wide are brilliant.

He's already refusing to sign a new contract with Everton, so he's not exactly popular with them anyway, so I don't think it's a travesty for him if he signs for us.

Also don't see much difference between Redmond and Sterling.

It's quite well known that Garbutt is a red as well.

Watching England U21's last night, was very impressed with Luke Garbutt, he's an outstanding prospect at left back. He's out of contract with Everton next month and would likely cost £4m in compo. He's like Luke Shaw from 12 months ago, that sort of quality, his deliveries from out wide are brilliant.

He's already refusing to sign a new contract with Everton, so he's not exactly popular with them anyway, so I don't think it's a travesty for him if he signs for us.

Also don't see much difference between Redmond and Sterling.

Redmond is one of those players whose natural ability was clear from young and he was always going to be a player, I saw him when at Birmingham when he was still in his teens and I'm fairly sure we were linked then aswell.

Good player imo with a lot of potential, I'd take him for a reasonable fee but if Norwich want to take the piss look elsewhere.

Whisper it quietly, but I think we've done solid squad business so far. If we can get a couple of top players for the first team it'll be a decent summer, all things considered.

I agree with this. If we can add, say, Kovacic and Clyne, we will be a lot better off than last season. After that we would need a top striker to go to the top of the pile, but I'm not sure that will happen this summer, for various reasons:

- The state of the club at the moment, no CL, uncertainty over the manager

- Sterling. His sale would probably provide the funds for the striker we need, but this saga will probably run all summer long.

- Possible new manager. The owners will likely want to hold something back for a new manager to come in and buy his own striker, should things not work out with Brendan. While they wait and see, that will give time for the Sterling saga to run its course and the money to come in.

Redmond is one of those players whose natural ability was clear from young and he was always going to be a player, I saw him when at Birmingham when he was still in his teens and I'm fairly sure we were linked then aswell.

Good player imo with a lot of potential, I'd take him for a reasonable fee but if Norwich want to take the piss look elsewhere.

Birmingham wanted 15-20m off us before they sold him for £2m to Norwich. Just goes to show how clubs literally make up valuations on the spot when the big clubs come in for their players.

I agree with this. If we can add, say, Kovacic and Clyne, we will be a lot better off than last season. After that we would need a top striker to go to the top of the pile, but I'm not sure that will happen this summer, for various reasons:

- The state of the club at the moment, no CL, uncertainty over the manager

- Sterling. His sale would probably provide the funds for the striker we need, but this saga will probably run all summer long.

- Possible new manager. The owners will likely want to hold something back for a new manager to come in and buy his own striker, should things not work out with Brendan. While they wait and see, that will give time for the Sterling saga to run its course and the money to come in.

Kovacic and Clyne is a massive up grade on what we've got, however if we don't get the right striker in this summer it makes no difference because we need to score shit loads because our defence is that shit, the way our business is set up so far it really does look like its a 1 in 1 out policy for the similar prices. If that is how it's going to go it's going to be 1 long shit season.

Not completely ridiculous. Sturridge is made of quavers, and Borini suits the "way we play" more than Balotelli and Lambert. In fact, in my opinion, is simply a better footballer than Balotelli and Lambert. I don't fucking care how many kick ups Balotelli can do, or how good Lambert is at penalties. One can't be fucked to move and the other isn't capable.

I don't blame him for not wanting to move to fucking Sunderland. He may well be shite, and he is, but we bought him for £11m and presumably gave him a five year contract. Why should he just move to whichever club is stupid enough to offer us money for him? Perhaps the manager/transfer committee/other club mongs should have thought about this when we signed him. 

This is what happens when you take "punts". We bought him three years ago and he has featured in 25 league matches for us, many from the bench. We've barely even bothered giving him a decent go.

Nah, fuck blaming Borini here. If an Italian side came in he'd go. The problem is Italian clubs don't pay money for footballers, especially not from us. They know they usually don't have to.

Yet another colossal transfer cunt up from us.

On the first paragraph, all I can say is what I already did mate - he supposedly made this decision about 'fighting for hi..' sorry I can't even type it without laughing, right after we had spent the summer basically touting him around.  I said back then that he was mental if he thought he was going to get a game  - I agree that Sturridge being made of outr of date quavers was hardly an unknown factor but we had signed two more strikers!  I'd usually be totally behind any player with hope in his heart but there is a line you cross after which it becomes deusional and in my opinion at least he crossed that last summer.

I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to move to Sunderland if we were looking at it purely as an abstract concept, or even as one of a few alternatives; however we're talking about a lad who is supposedly desperate to play, had a loan spell there which went well, apparently had a contract on the table which was broadly similar to the one we had him on in terms of wages and knew he would be a regular for them if he moved.  I can and will blame him for staying here when the justification he gave for it was utterly nonsensical in the face of all evidence available to him, as evidenced by what actually happened last season.  What was he expecting, to get games for us ahead of Sturridge and Balotelli, bang 25 goals in and wait for Juve to come calling? 

The rest of what you say, regarding mongs, taking punts, cunts, transfer committees and a few more cunts and mongs, I agree with 100%.

Whisper it quietly, but I think we've done solid squad business so far. If we can get a couple of top players for the first team it'll be a decent summer, all things considered.

Marginal improvements. Milner is good but replacing gerrard our top scorer, he will add more to general play but less goals. Ings could go either way. Bogdan is an improvement but might not play a single game anyway.

While its a tiny improvement, i dont think any of the top 5 will be troubled.theres the rub.

It won't matter if we improve every player in the squad if the players we have come September aren't good enough to challenge United or Arsenal.

We'll be losing one of our most promising players and you just know we'll spend a good portion of that fee on a Redmond or even worse Bolasie. The squad of players we have are fine, we need to spend whatever money we have on difference makers.

I'd stick a bid in for Firminio as well, get Coutinho's replacement ready just in case. Could be a tidy second striker as well.

• Upvote 1

Good business so far, Gerrard gone, Sterling on his way out and yet to find a decent, proven goal scorer; in search for at least 4-5 first 11 players, while the defence is a joke, we don't know who the first team coach or assistant manager will be.  

Another "transitional season" of clutching at straws ahead.

• Upvote 1

Good business so far, Gerrard gone, Sterling on his way out and yet to find a decent, proven goal scorer; in search for at least 4-5 first 11 players, while the defence is a joke, we don't know who the first team coach or assistant manager will be.

Another "transitional season" of clutching at straws ahead.

Yes but all is not lost.As MrPennant keeps saying,we still have Brendan
  • Upvote 2