You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

Indeed he will be by the owners but you know as well as I do, that he isnt being judged on results on this forum. Teeth, partner, gross spend, clueless? Yep, all sound results based. Not.

He's being judged on results here too.  No one had a problem with his appalling transfer record last season.

I'd like someone that has experience for a start, someone that if we ever reach the CL again actually has a fucking clue how to approach it tactically. Someone that knows how to organise a defence, someone that has an eye for a player and doesn't just work through their phone list. 

I'm pretty fucked off paying Champagne money for Pomagne football. What was it, £177 for three CL home games. You're never convincing me that an experienced manager with the cash he's had couldn't have bought better and got us out of that group with far more impressive performances than we saw.

The man is full of excuses and I'm fed up with them. Maybe if I was sat on my arse at home I'd be able to bear it but freezing cold paying all that money it fucks me off.

So who is that someone?

Is he fuck. Look at the moaning after burnley.

If he had better results going into that game there would have been a lot less moaning. Its taken more than one game to get people questioning the wisdom of retaining him, it will take more than one fortunate win to bring them back to his corner.

• Upvote 3

Guest davelfc

So who is that someone?

Really, you're pulling that on me? 

Is that all you have, the old, 'well who would you replace him with' shit.

I don't appoint managers, I just pay money to watch the football they serve up. Do i trust our owners and their advisers to select a suitable candidate for the job, do I fuck. Neither do most of the people I know and that's one of the reasons people want it to work out for Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1

I think at the end of the season if the owners change manager it should not be hard to get a more seasoned and experienced manager than Rodgers.

We are not exactly replacing Ancelotti a triple European winner. The club is not in financial trouble and have spent 350 odd million on players since they bought the club.

I am sure there will be several excellent candidates wanting the job who have experience of balancing domestic football and Europe.

• Upvote 1

I think at the end of the season if the owners change manager it should not be hard to get a more seasoned and experienced manager than Rodgers.

We are not exactly replacing Ancelotti a triple European winner. The club is not in financial trouble and have spent 350 odd million on players since they bought the club.

I am sure there will be several excellent candidates wanting the job who have experience of balancing domestic football and Europe.

Agree Completely

Really, you're pulling that on me?

Is that all you have, the old, 'well who would you replace him with' shit.

I don't appoint managers, I just pay money to watch the football they serve up. Do i trust our owners and their advisers to select a suitable candidate for the job, do I fuck. Neither do most of the people I know and that's one of the reasons people want it to work out for Rodgers.

So no idea then ? Quelle surprise!
  • Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

So no idea then ? Quelle surprise!

You did it, the argument of the moron. Why does me not knowing who we should appoint make any of the points about him being not good enough invalid. 

The only argument you have for keeping this man is that I cannot name a replacement. That I don't have any decision in such replacement means nothing of course, nor that I do not trust the people that do make that decision to make the right one. 

You're an idiot. 

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

I'm not confused, I've had enough of him. Of course I hope he manages to come up with something, anything. Just because I don't think he will doesn't mean he won't.

Nobody is suggesting that last season was totally Suarez but you'd be daft if you couldn't admit he wasn't a major part of it. things went very well for us and everything Rodgers tried seemed to work. The sign of a great manager is being able to make the right decisions when things are not going well. 

He had the money to build on that great season, so far he's blown it. We got CL football and he complains that he hasn't got the time to work with his players. Now it's the pitch, tomorrow the weather probably. 

I don't sack managers, I don't appoint them. They are judged on their results, that he's had a lot of money and time and still can't make it work is damming. If you just read the match reports Dave writes you'd see it's depressing reading. 

This was an awful performance and if it had been anyone but us stealing the points like that I’d have felt bad for Burnley

The clean sheet was more through luck than good defending, while we scored with just about our only decent chance of the entire game

The first half was terrible, Burnley dominated possession and seemed to win every loose ball. They created several good chances but fortunately for us they didn’t have the quality to take them.

Now Jones is injured and Brendan has had to go back ‘cap in hand’ to Mignolet. The whole situation is a joke

if they don’t have one lined up and ready to go on Jan 1 then Brendan needs his arse kicking for the way he’s handled Mignolet recently.

This was Burnley we were playing, fucking Burnley. I'd laugh it it wasn't so sad.

He hasn't got a clue, that's probably down to his inexperience. We deserve better, a more experienced manager wouldn't buy so much shit, we hope.

If you're happy spunking £50 to watch that drivel then fine, I'm not and we deserve better. Someone that has a fucking clue what to do might be a start.

• Upvote 3

Guest davelfc

I waver, I really really want him to turn it around. it does none of us any good to rip this up and start again. As long as we don't fall lower then maybe giving him until the end of the season is a good thing, see what happens if Sturridge returns. Grab Cech in goal.

See what happens when your head and your heart are at odds.

I dont recollect the King being judged on gross spend. But I'll take your word for it.

Its not legit to judge rodgers on gross when it wasnt used for benitez, Ged or evans. Its just another revisionism to hang the man out to dry. And as yet, I havent seen anyone say who's included in this gross spend 'waste.' Does it include sakho who some seem to rate? Does it include lallana, markovic, can and moreno who've been here less than half a season? That's nearly £60m right there. Are all of them included in the gross waste or just some of them?

You say its a shocking record. The season isnt over yet and even when it is, is one season enough to judge these players? Maybe you think it is. I dont.

You make cliams such as 'if half that money had been spent properly....' What the fuck does that mean in the real world? That the manager went out and deliberately blew £120m?

Some of you people think this is football manager. Its not. Sure, some players dont measure up or take time to settle.

Lots of people were dribbling in their cornflakes when salah fucked off to chelsea instead. What's happening to him now? Oh, he's being shown the door by them. Dont give it the old 'they can afford to make mistakes,' the fact is people here fell out of their trees over it yet he hasnt made it at the club he choose.

Rodgers isn't being judged on gross or net spend, he's being judged on the fact his signings are mostly overpriced shite, this was exactly the same with Dalglish, he wasn't given an easier ride with spending at all, it's what cost him the job.

Rafa and Houllier weren't really judged on signings because it was never really as big an issue, they were judged on their lack of flexibility and increasingly odd behaviour. Houllier and Rafa bought themselves considerable good will with sensational early business in the transfer market. Dalglish and Rodgers went from one disaster to the next.

Rafa's 'punts' usually cost around 7 million, Dalglish's and Rodgers cost anywhere between 20 and 35 million.

• Upvote 2

Guest davelfc

One point I would make actually (as a result of your edit) is that you said 'they are judged on their results' but then posted negative comments from a match report in a game with which we won.

Yes and I was pretty relieved we did win, and in isolation you could argue that we had a bad day and still managed the points. Of course looking at the bigger picture it doesn't bode well that just as we looked like we were finding something of our old self, that we struggled so badly against a shit side.

Let's see if we can regain that momentum upwards on Monday against Swansea. 

Agree Completely

Who are these excellent candidates that can compete for the title with less resources then four or five teams in the league while also being strong in europe, the way managers are judged here they are allowed no bad periods as this is a sackable offence so klopp doesnt fit the bill.

If you are suggesting we get a steady manager who can get top six while having a good run in europa then why would we do that over sticking with a manager who has shown he can challenge for a title working under the conditions he is now.

• Upvote 2

Rodgers isn't being judged on gross or net spend, he's being judged on the fact his signings are mostly overpriced shite, this was exactly the same with Dalglish, he wasn't given an easier ride with spending at all, it's what cost him the job.

Rafa and Houllier weren't really judged on signings because it was never really as big an issue, they were judged on their lack of flexibility and increasingly odd behaviour. Houllier and Rafa bought themselves considerable good will with sensational early business in the transfer market. Dalglish and Rodgers went from one disaster to the next.

Rafa's 'punts' usually cost around 7 million, Dalglish's and Rodgers cost anywhere between 20 and 35 million.

Robbie Keane and Alberto Aquilani were unavailable for comment.

Edit - I know you were referring to punts but couldn't resist.

I would disagree massively that Rodgers and/or Dalglish bought 'punts' for £20M though.

Dalglish sowed no signs of progress in the prem over his time here and we could barely get back half what we payed for his signings, rodgers challenged for a title, his signings are young, are only six months in and most will hold their resale value.

Kennys team also showed no signs of any identity and I remember pundits saying they never knew how lfc were going to play or what our style was, under rodgers everyone knows how he wants us to play.

• Downvote 2

Dalglish sowed no signs of progress in the prem over his time here and we could barely get back half what we payed for his signings, rodgers challenged for a title, his signings are young, are only six months in and most will hold their resale value.

Kennys team also showed no signs of any identity and I remember pundits saying they never knew how lfc were going to play or what our style was, under rodgers everyone knows how he wants us to play.

are them balls tickling your stubble? 

This is an interesting read the ex-banker managing Brentford. But posted it, as their owner has a similar background to Henry. A lot of people have speculated that the reason we got Rodgers was due to a lack of ambition. But I get the sense these finance people think football managers are just over-rated and pretty disposable. In other words they think their contribution to the club is way more important than any manager.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/27/brentford-buzz-bee-mark-warburton-matthew-benham

• Upvote 1