You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle East Thread

Red Phoenix

You have to think unless Russia done the unthinkable and pushed the nuclear button they wouldn't stand a chance against the US, the overseas bases the US have got pisses on Russia who are mostly based in or around former Soviet states, US bases are spread all over the globe.

You have to think unless Russia done the unthinkable and pushed the nuclear button they wouldn't stand a chance against the US, the overseas bases the US have got pisses on Russia who are mostly based in or around former Soviet states, US bases are spread all over the globe.

In a nuclear war, it'll be over fairly quickly because Russia and parts of the UK and US would be complete gone anyway. But in any conventional war, Russia is a regional power not a global power like the UK or a superpower like the US. Russia has an excellent ability to defend itself in its own backyard. It doesn't have the ability to move, support, feed, and maintain its force far beyond itself. One of the reasons the US is so supremely powerful is their logistical capability. They have entire MEUs ready to go at a moments notice. They have troops, vehicles, planes, and weapons all around the world. They are unrivalled in their ability to support these troops anywhere in the world and in significant force.

The Russians would get anhialated by the yanks in a conventional war, they've only got one carrier - the Admiral Cornetto - and it's in the shipyard until 2020. Their jets and subs are cold war era, their special forces don't seem capable of much beyond terrorising dissidents (during the Moscow Theatre siege they ended up gassing about 150 hostages, the SAS they are not). Their ground troops are mostly bullied young conscripts.

I bet the yanks are sitting on all sorts of tech nobody would know about until it was too late, they could probably shut the whole of Russia down with the flick of a switch.

But still not a chance you can take when i takes a couple of them ICBMs to get through to turn the US into a shithole too.

Aye. Either country could quite easily obliterate the other, if they so desired. That’s why they fight wars over resources in other people’s back yards. Great bunch of lads. Literally holding the planet to ransom.

• Upvote 1

The Russians would get anhialated by the yanks in a conventional war, they've only got one carrier - the Admiral Cornetto - and it's in the shipyard until 2020. Their jets and subs are cold war era, their special forces don't seem capable of much beyond terrorising dissidents (during the Moscow Theatre siege they ended up gassing about 150 hostages, the SAS they are not). Their ground troops are mostly bullied young conscripts.

I bet the yanks are sitting on all sorts of tech nobody would know about until it was too late, they could probably shut the whole of Russia down with the flick of a switch.

Just One Cornetto , didn't know that.

But still not a chance you can take when i takes a couple of them ICBMs to get through to turn the US into a shithole too.

See I don't think they could, I'd be doubtful that the US has over the past 30 years not developed tech that could knock Russian ICBMs out the sky.

They are that mad for defence technology that I'd find it hard to believe they wouldn't be throwing a lot of effort at nullifying the one thing that could turn it all to ashes and make those warships obsolete.

I'm more worried about here to be honest because I think America would class us as collateral if a nuclear conflict ever kicked off and I think Russia know that.

Here comes Mr Bent-Copper to smash up all the evidence before CSI can go to work.

Also, of course, the USA (and its satellites) has no right to act as policeman. Legitimate police operate by consent. The closest thing to a "world policeman" is the UN. The US is just another gang in a turf war.

Please define the "UN".  I worked in one of the agencies, and find these comments futile, mainly as they are more Trumpian  than Trump.

Please define the "UN". I worked in one of the agencies, and find these comments futile, mainly as they are more Trumpian than Trump.

The United Nations. Y'know, the Assembly where representatives of all nations debate what to do about international crises, rather than just going along with the will of the most heavily-armed nation.

What the fuck is "Trumpian" about that?

Robert Fisk reporting that he's been to the hospital in Douma and they confirmed that there was no chemical attack.

Source. One doctor who wasn't on duty that night and who Fisk believes may be pro-regime due to some of the things he said.

The doctors who were on duty at the time were away in Damascus giving evidence to the official bodies etc.

It's more a claim from somebody who wasn't present, rather than an act of confirmation.