You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez bite v2

Chippo

Glenn Hoddle says Suarez is a bad influence on the children who were watching.

Well.. Glenn Hoddle is a bad influence on the watching children, because I was forced to call him a "massive fanny" in front of my kids.

Suarez is out of order and needs punishing but so does Glenn!

The only kids watching have been evil cunts in a previous life and deserve all they get.

Especially the blind ones.

There are a few things I find interesting about this. 

Firstly, you can see the deterioration between the press and the public at large. This is a non-story in as much as the position of the person written about is indefensible, it requires little analysis, and it doesn't really teach the reader anything about the wider world. Yet, as soon as it broke, you've got the likes of Chiles changing his kecks in excitement that he'll actually have something to say, and you've got football pundits and myriad figures in the game -- both prominent and private -- crawling out of the woodwork to put forward their opinions, none of which add any insight or complexity to the incident, but which actually look to sensationalize the issue and to whip up a frenzy which will draw in viewers and readers. So the numbers start getting bandied around; a years ban? Two years? Ten games? The people who offer points of debate like Barton -- and I'm not a fan of his -- are either marginalised, or will bandied in with Suarez as a ne'er-do-well who doesn't know what he's talking about. I would argue that what is said by most of these commentators is pointless because, as I've said above, the issue ought to be fairly cut and dried. He broke rules which will be covered by the laws of the game and their governing bodies and he ought to face punishment within the rules. End of. All of the so-called debate which will doubtless be whipped up about, for example, whether or not the FA should take further action is an example of the sort of thinking which I think does us as a country and our football enormous damage.

A lot of people have mentioned the 'hypocrisy' of figures in football when it comes to forgiving our own and chucking the foreigners under the bus, but it's worth revisiting how pervasive that hypocrisy it is, and the effects that it probably has on our own national team. It begins, in my opinion, with the ludicrous idea that because someone is talented, they ought to be a good person. This is a fairytale notion, and the idea that sportspeople (in this case) ought to be good 'role-models' is completely arse-backwards. What kids should be taught is, basically, just because you've got a shit-heap of talent, does not mean you're a remotely good person. And you should be a decent person because it's the right thing to do, and it makes the world a better place, and not because you think Rooney, or Gerrard, or anyone else -- who you might like for other reasons -- is decent. While you're at it, teach them that if you have everything on a plate at the age of eighteen that you might find it hard to stay with the same woman, or to behave in the long-term in the same way that someone does who has to work for hours every day to pay their rent, or has to try chatting up five different women in a bar before they get a phone number. But, basically, what's wrong with being a footballer and being a bit of a cunt? I mean, if you're a bit of a cunt, that's not a great thing, as I know too well. But it's not something that the press can cure by telling you to be a good person, and it's not something that you can just decide to switch off by yourself, and it's not something you can do because people look up to you. What's my point with this? How do you think the likes of Cole, Terry, Rooney, Beckham, Lampard -- pretty much any of them -- have felt pulling on an England kit over the last fifteen years? Between that bunch, you've got Cole sleeping with prostitutes, Terry and the racism, Terry's mum, Terry's dad, everything about Terry, basically. You've got Rooney and the grannies, the forearm smash into James McCarthy's face (another issue, but probably one of the most appalling things I've ever seen in football, and completely glossed over by the media), you've got Rebecca Loos wanking off a pig on TV, and so on, and so forth. Even the decent ones get dirt dug up on them, and yet every time there's a World Cup they're plastered on the front page of the tabloids, standing proud with the Three Lions, in a desperate but ultimately successful attempt to sell papers from a different angle. How would you feel representing a country that did that to you, seriously? Where you knew that the way people spoke about you in the pub would be based on whether or not you got caught being you? Bottom line, it is fundamentally flawed thinking to expect morality from footballers and to be disappointed when they don't deliver it, and if you expect something of someone that they are incapable of or unwilling to give you, then you cannot expect them to work hard in your name.

Football, for me, is an extremely partisan part of life. There are, obviously, players who I like and dislike for their personalities and what they deliver to the team. That, however, has never hinged on what they've done off the pitch. If we'd had our own Giggs, I can honestly say I'd have loathed him. Fortunately, we haven't, and the people I've liked/disliked have always been because of what they gave for the club on the pitch, but never because I expected them to have high morals or 'British' values.

Then, of course, there is the other kind of hypocrisy, which is what a lot of people have talked about in terms of leg-breaking challenges and the like. I agree that biting is seen as dirty, and if I got bitten on a pitch, I would be taking myself into the showers for a good scrub afterwards. Is it worth, though, than the aformentioned Rooney forearm smash? Some of Stevie's challenges? Scholes going through the back of everyone he could? Shearer? The list goes on. From the point of view of something which has the potential to cause damage, it isn't. The reason is seen as more punishable is because it makes us feel uneasy, which I think is reasonable, but which we should be aware of. Especially when you consider that the effects are likely to be so much less severe than those of a really dangerous challenge (I've been on the end of one, I'd have preferred the bite.)

The other thing that this unease creates, though, is this ludicrous hysteria. The press makes us out to be a nation of absolute fannies. I would wager that almost every viewer was able to cope with the trauma of seeing Suarez bite someone -- so where's the outrage coming from? I mean, who hasn't seen someone get their head kicked in in town on a Friday or Saturday? Infinitely more disturbing from my point of view. So what is the reason for the outrage? Can anyone actually explain why it is so disgusting, except for saying biting is dirty?

Finally, if you compare the reactions in the British press to those of the South Americans -- or most other press outlets -- you can see why we are such an unpopular country when it comes to doling out the World Cups. Our FA has had years and years of 'the modern game' with ludicrous amounts of money to build a competitive national team, and we have gone out of a World Cup at the group stage with a single point, in a group we had every right to top. And people are talking about how we looked the best we had looked in years against Italy. Well, I'm sorry, but that's the first time we'd played like that in years, so why is nobody asking why that attacking style wasn't adopted before the fucking World Cup started? I mean maybe if Roy had started us playing like that two years ago, we wouldn't be where we are now. Yet, nobody seems particularly interested in asking these questions, because we are all about preserving the status quo. In fact, we fall back on sanctimony, and give ourselves the moral high ground, behaving as though evangelising our values to the rest of the world is the most sacred part of our identity, which is an antiquated, colonial attitude, at least in my view. Nonetheless, if you saw a country like that, would you award them a World Cup?

Still, in the background of the Suarez bite, the FA blunders on, the media encourage easy opinions and flat analysis, England are a rich football team full of talented players who continually perform poorly, Danny Mills has a platform from which to espouse his wisdom, and the main-talking point of the nation is a completely waste of breath.

• Upvote 9

If he does get a club ban, do you think Lallana will be willing to undergo dental treatment to come here? I'm just thinking if we all squint our eyes and use our imaginations it'll be like we've still got him in the team.

I think a club ban would be outrageous and will only happen if the FA pile in with some made up reason to placate the press and should be fought strongly, legally if necessary, no fucking way should we suffer for this, either by having no player or not being able to sell him.

• Upvote 1

Wow, he's actually a complete lunatic who's not in any control of himself. The very notion he may have done it last season to make his stay here untenable is blown away, a World Cup in South Africa thrown away.

Second wow, Ian Wright, that's IAN WRIGHT, is the one speaking most sense on ITV about it.

Missed this post last night as I skipped the first few pages thinking this thread was started when he done his ivanovic bite.

Your spot on and I was one of those who thought he done the ivanovic bite on purpose to help him move, last night left me in no doubt that was not the case and he only reacted that way because he cant control himself.

I think a club ban would be outrageous and will only happen if the FA pile in with some made up reason to placate the press and should be fought strongly, legally if necessary, no fucking way should we suffer for this, either by having no player or not being able to sell him.

I think I'd give up on football if he got a club ban. Well I wouldn't, but I'd be absolutely sickened. Thing is, you just know that if he doesn't get a club ban he'll be a target for every ref, opposition fan, journalist and ale-house player in the country. Someone will cripple him and get a knighthood. 

I'm not sure about the legality of it, I'm guessing it's vague to say the least. As far as I know, FIFA is the ultimate governing body, and if they choose to ban a player, it COULD be at club level too. I wonder if there's a precedent for that (Maradona / drugs incident?).

I agree with your post, just questioning the legality of it all in general - what's actually possible here?

2 things stand out in this thread.

1 - Major Tom is a WUM of epic proportions and must be a journo of some sort or someone similar to silverlining.

2 - Major Tom is a manc cunt

That's good and all, but what exactly has wound you up in this thread? I think you may just be easily wound up, Zonk.

I mean one guy thought that Suarez had a defence and the other thought that Danny Mills seriously wanted Suarez jailed for life.

What's a man to do when faced with that baloney?

• Upvote 1

bet I'm not the only one fuming with him but still found myself sticking up for him to mong team fans today

Why are you fuming with him? He lost his head in the heat of the moment and clearly has issues controlling his temper.

Maybe dr Steve was playing a blinder last season keeping him under control, I feel sorry for him right now with all the criticism he is/will be getting and possible bans.

• Downvote 1

That's good and all, but what exactly has wound you up in this thread? I think you may just be easily wound up, Zonk.

I mean one guy thought that Suarez had a defence and the other thought that Danny Mills seriously wanted Suarez jailed for life.

What's a man to do when faced with that baloney?

Not quite how I remember it, but it isnt going to stop you being a cunt.