You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton Vs Liverpool

WhiskeyJar

I'm worried, but that's mainly due to Southampton having all the ingredients to make our defence implode. They've got a physical CF who's a handful in the air and pings in a mean set-piece, a fullback who'll gladly put balls into the box all day and players happy to try their luck from range if no one closes them down.

We'll win 4-3 though.

My first thought would be to put Coutinho on the bench and bring Allen into the middle. He will offer a bit more solidity and help us with possession, while if we need a goal, I'd rather bring Coutinho off the bench than Allen. 

Then again, on second thoughts, Southampton play a possession game, and we showed in our big wins recently that we can be very effective if we play a bit more on the counter. Southampton will be willing to go on the front foot, and ironically, that could put us at our most dangerous. So if we are going to do more of a counter-attacking style, I'd put Allen back on the bench and start with the same team. 

Sterling should keep his place as he has been doing very well, and he is starting to find the net too. His pace will keep Southampton preoccupied, and it will also give Luke Shaw something to think about. 

A clean sheet and Agger to play a blinder would be nice too. 

Like others say, i also think this is one of the most tricky games we have left. Im quite nervous for this. We havent played well against them since they returned to the prem, which is only 3 games, but still. Their style of play dont seem to suit the way we have set up in previous games.

Id also contemplate dropping Coutinho and play Allen for this, but my thoughts were similar against Everton and Arsenal, and he went on to play brilliantly in those.

The biggest thing about this game is WhiskeyJar putting his match thread reputation on the line.

I was not going to allow the flow being interrupted just because Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper decided to post first.

I jest though as fortune favors the bold, and hopefully the run will continue. 

If When we win this though, I will take a break for the next game.

Allen was fantastic when he come on against Swansea.  Coutinho looked like he needed a break.  He's looked like that before though and then put a blinder in for his next game.  Tough decision and by that fact they should both do a great job whoever is selected.

Probably like everyone else I've been sitting there waiting for the inevitable implosion.  I wasn't panicking when we lost those games against Chelsea and Man City over Christmas.  I didn't think that was the implosion at the time and I've been proved right.  I feel like I'm still sitting there waiting for it to happen though.  We all want as many points on the board now so when it inevitably happens we've got the hope that we will just stumble over the line.

The West Brom result and the way we could have easily lost or drew the Swansea and Fulham games have had me up the fucking wall.  Simply because of how close we are to getting back in the big time my arse is going big time every game.  Every time we are at that stage in these games i find myself saying right we are fucked if we don't won't this game that's it/if we get back and win this game I will believe we can do it.  Then the next week arrives and I'm saying the same thing.  It's not like previous seasons where defeats/dropped points haven't really meant a lot because there were so many of them

It's all bollocks obviously.  This was all based on the image that Man Utd were going to come back at us like a steam train despite Moyes.  I still think they will go on a run but 11 points is surely too much isn't it?  I feel like saying a draw in this game isn't a bad result but it fucking would be if the Mancs beat City and us.  Everyone is dropping points though and will continue to do so.  I think if we beat these and the mancs that will be the time where I say yeah we've made it and stop panicking every time someone farts in our direction.

• Upvote 1

I feel like saying a draw in this game isn't a bad result but it fucking would be if the Mancs beat City and us. 

They won't. We're going to steamroll man utd at old trafford. The locals will have Moyes's head on a stick by full time. They really are sh*t - i know, it's hard to belive after 25 years of disappointments, but they are.

I think we do need to have someone like Allen in against Southampton who tend to press us high it would be mad to leave gerrard on his own isolated like we did last game. Then again we re so dangerous on the break and when Suarez and Sturridge are on form its irrelevant what formation the manager picks. I thought the selection against arsenal was fucking insane.

They won't. We're going to steamroll man utd at old trafford. The locals will have Moyes's head on a stick by full time. They really are sh*t - i know, it's hard to belive after 25 years of disappointments, but they are.

The type of game everything goes out the window though.

Them lot might be playing like shit this season, but they still have a lot of attacking talent, despite Moyes efforts to the contrary.

I do hope we can look at this picture and it rings more true than ever after tho.rodgersvsmoyes-560x563.jpg

• Upvote 1

The more I think about this game the more I think Allen is needed. Phil can come off the bench if need be but Allen's work rate and ability to keep the ball could be vital. We all know that Phil can disappear from games at times and that's the last thing we need against a team like Southampton. They have quality players in midfield and they press, so if Henderson and Gerrard get swamped we will be well fucked.

The more I think about this game the more I think Allen is needed. Phil can come off the bench if need be but Allen's work rate and ability to keep the ball could be vital. We all know that Phil can disappear from games at times and that's the last thing we need against a team like Southampton. They have quality players in midfield and they press, so if Henderson and Gerrard get swamped we will be well fucked.

I get where you're coming from mate, but the same was said about Everton's, Spurs' and Arsenal's midfield. Of course they're different teams with different players, but I have to say that I am pretty confident we'll win tomorrow - and scoring a few into the bargain. I've a good feeling about this.

I get where you're coming from mate, but the same was said about Everton's, Spurs' and Arsenal's midfield. Of course they're different teams with different players, but I have to say that I am pretty confident we'll win tomorrow - and scoring a few into the bargain. I've a good feeling about this.

Got the same feeling for this as i used to have for Stoke away under Pulis. But Southampton being quite the opposite in terms of the football they play. We won the game at Anfield last season, but the return fixture and the one at Anfield this season were horrible for us. Pretty much out played and out worked. A lot of that was down to attitude, but their set up have worked great to counter ours. i just hope our players have their attitude right and Brendan as the set up right tomorrow, cause i think if we treat this game like we did our last fixtures to Spurs, Everton and Arsenal we'll twat them hard.

I'm worried, but that's mainly due to Southampton having all the ingredients to make our defence implode. They've got a physical CF who's a handful in the air and pings in a mean set-piece, a fullback who'll gladly put balls into the box all day and players happy to try their luck from range if no one closes them down.

We'll win 4-3 though.

4-3 is the new "controlling the game."

Liverpool travel to Southampton on Saturday looking to keep pace with the leaders in the Premier League title race (kick-off 5.30pm).

Liverpool can move into third spot in the table with victory over Saints as they look to maintain their surprise title challenge.

Brendan Rodgers' men are four points behind leaders Chelsea and they make the trip to the south coast in good form, having won six and drawn two of their last eight games.

Liverpool will again look to strike duo to inspire the visitors with Daniel Sturridge having scored in eight consecutive Premier League appearances, while Luis Suarez will be seeking to end a mini-drought after failing to score in his last five games.

Southampton will be looking to bounce back from last weekend's disappointing defeat to West Ham, which ended a six-match unbeaten run in the Premier League.

The hosts enjoy a good recent record against Liverpool having won four of their five Premier League encounters with the Reds at St Mary's, including the last three in a row.

The Saints are also the only team to beat Liverpool at Anfield after winning 1-0 on Merseyside in September.

Paul Merson's prediction

Southampton are in a position where they can go for it in any game - which is why they made a big ricket when they rested a load of players and lost to Sunderland in the FA Cup - so this will be a big test of Liverpool's title credentials ahead of some pretty decent fixtures.

If Liverpool get through this they are a major, major threat and I cannot see how Southampton will be able to stop Liverpool's attack, even though they have got Luke Shaw, who is a great talent and really deserves his call-up to the England squad. I'm not sure he will go to the World Cup, though.

PAUL PREDICTS: 2-3