You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet?

Morning Glory

Anyone else worried about him? A lot of talk about how shite those in front of him are but for me I wonder whether it is a 2 way street and both back 4 & keeper have no faith in each other. For me a top keeper these days has to have the following, command of his box, deal with high balls/crosses, good distribution and is a shot stopper. I feel he only has the latter and 6 months in I have seen no improvemt in the other three areas. Harsh?

• Downvote 1

Said this in the match thread. We attack, which leaves loads of space in front of stevie and the back four (or fewer if our FBs are in attack as well). Migs needs to protect his turf and take pressure off the back four whenever possible. Not like when he handled outside his own box and got away w/ it today. His awareness, anticipation and command of his area could all use upgrading, which will come when he can manage some confidence. Estimated time of arrival, next season.

I really like him but he has me worried lately and I'm beginning to think he's not the answer to the GK issue. Begovic would have been a better choice but not sure I'd he was available.

ming is young though and he has the attributes to be top class - provided he gets the right coaching to improve his weak spots.

Great shot stopper, and I think he'll improve the other aspects of his game. Reckon this time next year he'll be a far more complete keeper.

You've got to remember that he was used to playing in front of the likes of Bardsley, Bramble and Brown. They defended deep, headed anything that moved and expected the keeper to save shots and simply boot the ball as far as he can when he gets it.

I suppose that just like it can take an outfield player to adapt and develop his game, it's the same with a keeper.

The OP touches on a good point. I wouldn't say it's a lack of trust, but there's certainly a lack of chemistry there, mainly down to the rotating cast of characters our defence has been this season. We need a settled back four so we can see the relationship and understanding develop.

• Upvote 1

It's a confidence thing with the defence as a collective at the moment. As a small example from yesterday, Toure had a ball rolling back towards his own goal and had he twatted it over the sideline and into the stands nobody would have made anything of it, given he was facing his own goal so it was a safe option. Instead, heallowed the ball to roll for a second then meekly poked it out, which gave everyone the impression that he wasn't exactly sure what to do initially.

As for Mignolet, was it against Villa that he flapped at one after coming off his line and deflected it nicely into Benteke's path for a tap in to an empty net? Seems like he has been really hesitant to come out from then on.

I'm far far more worried about the entire defence 

It's not a shit defence plus a goalkeeper behind and a defensive midfielder in front. It's a six man unit back there, at least. And it's functioning poorly.

Fortunately, the five players ahead of that unit have been outstanding for the most part.

The OP touches on a good point. I wouldn't say it's a lack of trust, but there's certainly a lack of chemistry there, mainly down to the rotating cast of characters our defence has been this season. We need a settled back four so we can see the relationship and understanding develop.

Yeah, communication is a problem.  Two main problems:-

-lack of communication

-Mignolet no cajones 

I can't help thinking the two may be linked. 

I still reckon Reina is a much superior keeper - just cost too much in wages for the owners.

I blame Reina. Valdez was retiring, supposedly, and he appeared to make it quite clear he was just waiting for the phone call from Barca. Didn't appear to show much loyalty or respect to the club so quite pleased that the club did what it did.