You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

Gerrard needs protecting - he can't play every game imo, though the DM role will undoubtedly extend his career, as he will do less running.  I'd love to see us bring in a top class midfielder or two.  Coutinho too, won't play at that level every game.  I was asking for him to be benched before this game, which shows I how much I know, but at least this should put to bed those who think Gerrard can't read the game, or lacks in positional discipline.  That was always bollocks, and it continues to be so.  

We need to strengthen the midfield.  Henderson, Gerrard and Allen is ok, but I'd like to bring in Gerrards replacement now and introduce him gradually.  Henderson and Allen can and should get better, but I don't think Madrid will be I'm for either soon

• 1 month later...

If we are still a couple of points behind the leaders in January, I'll concede that our midfield is good enough.  

No, you won't.

Gerrard needs protecting - he can't play every game imo

We need to strengthen the midfield.

Wrong.

Between Defence, Midfield and Attack, Midfield is the area we need to improve the most. 

Wrong.

It's so fucking obvious, mate. There's no point in even debating it. You've got three or four people who think it's fine, most others have eyes

Wrong.

I'm sure we'll have at least one quality midfielder in in January, and I think one might be out.

Wrong.

Lucas is rarely left marooned on his own either.  He's usually got a minder.  That, and three centre backs 5 yards behind him.

Wrong.

spurs will only get better

Wrong.

Anyway, buy Fernando and Matic, push Gerrard forward.

Wrong (the opposite happened).

We already know there will be a replacement for Lucas in January but ideally I'd like us to sign two midfielders

Wrong.

let's see what January brings

Nothing.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Oh dear. How obtuse. It was so wrong he was forced to drop your favourite player. Yet again, you were...

Wrong.

I'm really curious who "the committee" will buy, oh well, 1,5 month to go

Nobody.

I am, and always will be, about 12 steps ahead of you

Quoted for comedy purposes.

I'd have Sahin back in a heartbeat. Why? Because he's one of the best holding playmakers around.

Not as good as Gerrard.

I want Gerrard to play a more advanced role

Opposite happened.

Interesting time coming up this winter

Wrong.  Nothing happened.

Hendo is one of those players who forces their way into the team because they have true quality.  And the manager doesn't leave them out because they come to rely on the player, who delivers under pressure because of their genuine quality and determination to succeed.  He's also a confidence player - you can see how much it means to him when he scores or is involved in the build up.  He thrives on that kind of confidence and satisfaction from knowing he has the ability to help the team win matches.  So the more it happens, the better for him and us.  

Awesome stuff, mate.

When Gerrard is pressed, things go wrong.

Wrong.

We need 3 top quality midfield players. Gerrard is on his last legs...

Hahahahahahaha.  Brilliant.

Our midfield is shite and has been for years

Wrong.

We are blessed with a world class forward line and cursed with a Sunderland-class midfield.

While Lucas is in the team, and Henderson continues his puppy chasing after a ball act, we're going to struggle in games against better midfield set-ups.

Wrong.

• Upvote 2

Tk is a sad cunt . Codesque this lot is.

He got a load of stick for not thinking we needed any new centre midfielders.  Nothing wrong with him giving some stick back after it looking like he might have had a point.

I'm tempted to bump up my thread about saying I wouldn't swap our squad for Arsenal or Spurs, which was got laughed at.

• Upvote 2

I think we're scoring lots of goals because Suarez and Sturridge are really good at scoring goals. Outside of set-pieces we're not creating much for them, they're doing much of it themselves.

Well, M'Vila was at the match yesterday so he's got to be a candidate. Other than that, and I'm never going to miss the opportunity to say this, buy Fernando and Matic.

Wrong on all counts.

play Sakho and Toure more often

No.

We need two top class midfielders in January

Wrong.

You make it sound like our players are better than theirs (Everton). With the exception of Gerrard, they're not.

Oh dear.  What a fuck up.

I don't have patience and strength to elaborate more in this topic but the derby was another example of how our rubbish midfield is being exposed against any decent opposition and how much we rely on Mignolet and Suarez/Sturridge. Only a blind fuck would claim otherwise.

Only a blind fuck would say we rely on Mignolet (although he was great in that game).

the Corporal Pike that is Henderson.  

Classic stringvest (i.e. wrong).

I think that's what might happen when he's fit.

Bugger me!  You got something right (Gerrard dropping deeper).

until we get outplayed again. Like against Arsenal, Southampton and Hull.

How's that going for you?

• Upvote 1

I am negging anybody bickering, arguing, bitching etc now onwards.

Shut the fuck and enjoy being top and on the cusp of greatness. Everybody except me has been wrong as some point or other, who gives a Fuck about point scoring now. Only points that matter are the remaining 18 left to play for.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Stick by everything I said. Laughable that you're trying to take some sort of credit for calling it so wrong, though. Thank fuck we changed it from how you wanted it.bI still want the players I wanted. It's just not as important now we don't play the midfield the way you wanted it.

• Downvote 1

Oh dear. How obtuse. For somebody who wrote there was nothing wrong with our midfield yet the manager had to totally change it to call others wrong is hilarious. It was so wrong he was forced to drop your favourite player.

you can't win it really, he's special.The fact that BR dropped Lucas twice, completely changed the roles and shape of midfield and started to use Henderson and Allen together (and I and many other people were calling for this) means nothing, bet the lad still thinks Gerrard in the defensive midfielder in this team.

let's see what January brings

Nothing.

yes, but not because we didn't try to change anything but because we fucked up once again in the market.

We already know there will be a replacement for Lucas in January but ideally I'd like us to sign two midfielders

Wrong.

yes, but not because we didn't try to change anything but because we fucked up once again in the market and couldn't get our targets. He will be replaced in the Summer, don't worry, thankfully Rodgers dropped him before he got injured.

spurs will only get better

Wrong.

yes I was wrong and I'm glad of that tbf because I fucking can't stand spurs, unfortunately now Everton are the unflushable turd

Only a blind fuck would say we rely on Mignolet (although he was great in that game).

of course we did, now we don't since BR reorganized our play, we were poor in the first half of this season defense-wise and relied heavly on him, now we're far better but still give away stupid goals.

Everything about our midfield was wrong back THEN, Rodgers made massive CHANGES and NOW it's better and You're a moron.

• Downvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

you can't win it really, he's special.The fact that BR dropped Lucas twice, completely changed the roles and shape of midfield and started to use Henderson and Allen together (and I and many other people were calling for this) means nothing, bet the lad still thinks Gerrard in the defensive midfielder in this team.

He's the sort of guy who quotes a post saying we are top because of Suarez and Sturridge's goals and dearrs it wrong. He's the sort of guy who declares The midfield to be great, then brags about it after it's totally changed due to it performing like a bag of shit. Well done, what a visionary. He's the sort of guy who bangs in about Lucas still being in the side in the future, then totally ignores it.

• Downvote 1

Are you one of the poor souls who spends a fortune going to the match but hasn't got a clue?

Perhaps if you'd ever been to the game and supported the team you would know that the midfield you thought was good enough got sacked off a long time ago and re architected in a way that would give Rodgers what he was looking for.

The midfield you were lauding wasn't very good because it needed Gerrard to babysit Lucas. A lack of mobility and a restricted role for Gerrard meant we utilised none of his strengths but exposed his weaknesses. Now the midfield is without your favourite dead weight we are able to use Gerrard to much greater effect.