You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Dunno about better, but certainly wouldn't have loaned him out.

What was the point of loaning Suso and buying Alberto anyway?

What's the point of buying Allen and abandoning Death by Football the following week?

What's the point of saying you are going to play 1 up front, setup your squad for such and then go with two strikers up front leaving inadequate cover?

What's the point of making Agger vice captain and then bringing in a 15m replacement? And then benching both?

What's the point of bold statements about playing out from the back this season, signing Mingolet and then abandoning that?

In isolation you can rationalize it all, but joined up thinking is not happening.

• Upvote 1

Guardiola has played Martinez as a centre back and second striker this season. Lahm has played right back, left back and defensive midfield. I guarantee he would find a spot for Gerrard that showcases his strengths and covers his weaknesses. What we need is a manager who actually changes something when it's not working. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

I agree with that, I don't agree with Gerrard as a central midfielder, it's not even up for debate any longer in my tiny mind.

It does all seem a bit haphazard and scattershot. I read where Rodgers said that Sahko was for the 'future', but where does that leave Skrtel and Agger?

It's symptomatic of a manager still learning his trade IMO. He doesn't know from experience what will or won't work so he's having to, to use a term beloved of TLW, stumble around in search for the right answer. Problem is we don't seem to be converging and we are 100m in.

Name one of our midfielders that has been better than Gerrard in the course of the last eighteen months.

I can't. Horrible isn't it.

Then again, I can't really name any occasions in the last 18 months where Gerrard has not played in midfield for us. So, there's a big constant in this midfield 'problem' we have, and it seems like we're trying all sorts of feng shui with this arrangement, where we always change the lamps and the chairs around but we never shift the grand piano from the centre of the room.

Like you say, the definition of madness is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. But don't worry...we'll probably batter these next two at home and everyone will forget about our problems once more. Personally, I think we'll beat Norwich and we'll lost to West Ham, with Diame causing us problems once more.

I can't. Horrible isn't it.

Then again, I can't really name any occasions in the last 18 months where Gerrard has not played in midfield for us. So, there's a big constant in this midfield 'problem' we have, and it seems like we're trying all sorts of feng shui with this arrangement, where we always change the lamps and the chairs around but we never shift the grand piano from the centre of the room.

Like you say, the definition of madness is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. But don't worry...we'll probably batter these next two at home and everyone will forget about our problems once more. Personally, I think we'll beat Norwich and we'll lost to West Ham, with Diame causing us problems once more.

Diame. Who most on here scoff at as a potential signing.

Have they SEEN our midfield??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Precisely, fuck the future, we have the impetus of a great side, Mignolet, Sakho, Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge. Get the other five places sorted out with top quality and we'll challenge for the title. If we keep spending 10-15 million on young players (Hughes?) we'll keep stagnating. We need players that will walk into our first team right now (Montoya, Dembele)

What's the point of saying you are going to play 1 up front, setup your squad for such and then go with two strikers up front leaving inadequate cover?

We were playing with those same two players on the field when we were playing with one official striker, didn't mean we had any more cover than we do now.

Genuine question,

Seeing how well Martinez has done at Everton in a shorter space of time, with less resources.

Who do you think is the better manager? 

Rodgers without question

Martinez spent 3 years fighting relegation and then finally lost that fight. So he couldn't even turn around a team after 3 fucking years?!

Last season they were on the brink and got a point in a game and in the interview afterwards he said "i dont want to be mid table give me a relegation fight every year"

i meant what the fuck?

He just got lucky with transfer deadline day. He's got a kid from Barca who has been touted as a huge prospect for a couple of years now. Lukaku and Barry wont stay. Barkley and Baines will go eventually and they will just struggle again.

Also if Allen scores THAT goal and if united put away some of the glorious chances they had tonight Everton would have 21 points and would be 10th. They are just riding on a wave right now.

Name one of our midfielders that has been better than Gerrard in the course of the last eighteen months.

That tells you so much and tells you just as much. My 86 year old gran dead 7 years would of played better than the midfield over last 18 months. It dosnt mean anything saying Gerrards been the best as he has, yes he still has it  but he can only do it now and then. How many goals from open play has he scored in the 18 months ? He needs a free role in the midfield which he hasnt got mainly due to the rest in it. Courtiho excluded but even he needs more consistency in his back tracking and general play. Though he has the potential to be anything.

Genuine question,

Seeing how well Martinez has done at Everton in a shorter space of time, with less resources.

Who do you think is the better manager?

Less resources? Ah you don't include loan signings that would have cost a combined £40 million.

I think he inherited a pretty good team, one that had finished higher than us.

That tells you so much and tells you just as much. My 86 year old gran dead 7 years would of played better than the midfield over last 18 months. It dosnt mean anything saying Gerrards been the best as he has, yes he still has it  but he can only do it now and then. How many goals from open play has he scored in the 18 months ? He needs a free role in the midfield which he hasnt got mainly due to the rest in it. Courtiho excluded but even he needs more consistency in his back tracking and general play. Though he has the potential to be anything.

was interesting to note that he had much more involvement in the attacking third last night, admittedly against a very porous and compliant 5 in the Norwich midfield.  In fact, all of our midfielders made it into advanced positions and had scoring opportunities last night.  The midfield looked a lot more coherent and fluid.  That's not to say I think it's good enough to stand up against the top teams, because in general, it isn't imo.  

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Rodgers without question

Martinez spent 3 years fighting relegation and then finally lost that fight. So he couldn't even turn around a team after 3 fucking years?!

Last season they were on the brink and got a point in a game and in the interview afterwards he said "i dont want to be mid table give me a relegation fight every year"

i meant what the fuck?

He just got lucky with transfer deadline day. He's got a kid from Barca who has been touted as a huge prospect for a couple of years now. Lukaku and Barry wont stay. Barkley and Baines will go eventually and they will just struggle again.

Also if Allen scores THAT goal and if united put away some of the glorious chances they had tonight Everton would have 21 points and would be 10th. They are just riding on a wave right now.

Spot on, that. I suspect the thread starter knows that, which is why he did this thread now. Either that it he's just plain stupid enough to believe it.